The Clegane Brothers

It seemed like GRRM used the series to elaborate on some of the undercurrents that were present in the first book. The Ned and Jaime back and forth about the difference between tourney knights and those that fight wars, and the multiple conversations between Baelish and Varys that didn't exist in the books are two good examples.

It seemed like GRRM used the series to elaborate on some of the undercurrents that were present in the first book. The Ned and Jaime back and forth about the difference between tourney knights and those that fight wars, and the multiple conversations between Baelish and Varys that didn't exist in the books are two good examples.
Keep in mind that GRRM didn't write most of that stuff. He only wrote "The Pointy End". he's contractually obligated to do one episode per season.

I thought he still advised on the rest of it, didn't he?
Listen to "The Google" interview. GRRM makes it very clear that he has no involvement other than writing one episode and also David and Dan running things by him from time to time. He explicitly states that he has no control over them, and they could "have aliens land" and there would be nothing he could do about it. He also said in that intereview that he decided to allow them (Dand and Dave/HBO) to do the series becuase he felt confident that they'd remain true to the story. The interview is an hour long, and you can find a link to it a page or two back on this forum, or a lot of pages back on Not a Blog. If you can't find it let me know and I'll dig it up for you.

Here's that link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QTTW8M_etko

Last edited:
An hour-long interview? They don't do hour-long interviews with the President when we decide to invade other countries.

As we have drifted from the subject of this thread, let me re-orient us.

We focus a lot on Sandor, but what do we know about Gregor? So he killed his first two wives? I don't remember any mention of kids, but he raped a trail across Westeros, so you'd think there would be a string of bastards behind him. Thoughts?

While reading the duel between Gregor and Oberyn today, I had a thought. I know the heraldry for House Clegane features three black dogs on a yellow field.... and in the chapters throughout ASOS I kept reading of Lem of the Brotherhood. Lem wears the big yellow cloak that causes discussion wherever he goes. He has a deep voice and brown hair. He looks like a soldier. He can look Sandor in the eye.

From the physical description, I just had a thought... could Lem be related to the Cleganes? Why a yellow cloak? Could he be a Clegane or ******* Clegane who has denounced the dogs but honors the family color?

Also, we do not know Lem's real name. Lem is just short for Lemoncloak. Anguy is always around Lem and Anguy once fondly remembered a Dornish girl who cooked him duck in lemon sauce. Is Lem supposed to be from Dorne, the Westerlands, or the Riverlands?

I think Lem is supposed to be the anti-Hound. In appearance he's very similar, but in character he's the opposite.

The big yellow cloak made him look like a bird the first time Arya sees him. A bird is not a dog, I know... but I for the sake of argument I'm ignoring the bird and looking for connections to House Clegane. (A few houses of the Riverlands have symbols on a yellow field... Smallwood, Whent, and Wode. And interestingly, House Blackmont has a black vulture on yellow and House Gargalen has a red cockatrice on gold... both families hail from Dorne. Lem always hangs out with Tom and Anguy, an amiable rogue from the Dornish Marches.)

At the inn, one of the women asked Lem why he never washed his cloak. She said if he did, then it might wash out the urine and end up white and therefore reveal him to be one of the Kingsguard.

Lem hates the Lannisters. He tells Merrett he knows about murder. He tells Gendry most of the Brotherhood are low born scum. At one point, Arya wished she had a big mean dog to guard her... Lem was her guard at the time... of course, shortly after she was kidnapped by the Hound.

Lem loves Beric. Lem stands for the helpless. Lem warns Gendry the hardship and likely death of joining them. Lem goes looking for the Hound after the attack on Saltpans... of course, Rorge was wearing the Hound's helm, but Lem didn't know it. After Rorge's death, Lem took the helm for his own.

I'll compare Lem to Sandor. Lem is as tall as Sandor. He's a soldier like Sandor. He has a deep voice and brown hair like Sandor. Lem's companions are Tom and Anguy. Anguy was the archer champion of the Hand's tourney, when Sandor was the jousting champion. If Lem washed his cloak, he'd look like he was a Kingsguard... Sandor was a Kingsguard. Lem embraces R'hllor, Sandor hates fire. Lem is presumably a commoner who became a knight against all odds while Sandor is a noble who hates knights. In the Brotherhood, Lem hates the Mad Huntsman (who uses a large pack of hunting dogs) and faces him down in order to save Sandor. Sandor hates Gregor and confronts him over Loras. Lem took up the Hound's helm after Sandor discarded it.

I know there's really nothing here.... just some similar character traits and circumstances. We may see Sandor find redemption while Lem and the Brotherhood damn themselves following Stoneheart.