The Winds of Winter publishing date guesses?

If we don't use numbers.... I guess that leaves us with the Chinese zodiac. AGOT was released in the Year of the Rat. ACOK in the Year of the Tiger. ASOS in the Year of the Dragon. AFFC in the year of the Rooster. ADWD in the Year of the Rabbit. It is currently the Year of the Tiger. Next year is the Year of the Rabbit... any takers?

Honestly, at this point, it probably is answered in a prophecy. Or, Dan & Dave convince him to 'subvert' our expectations by not releasing it.

I heard somewhere by the end of the year, but I doubt it.

I think, between the expectations and the fallout from the last season of the show, he's a bit backed into a corner... I'm going to say 2037, possibly released posthumously.

Oh, they'll definitely release something posthumously...even if it's based on a grocery list and a half-finished online customer service survey:
"A Warren of Warranties"
"A Drove of Discounts"
"A Pandemonium of Produce"

Last edited:
GRRM posted the following on his Not A Blog this morning.

THE WINDS OF WINTER is going to be a big book. The way it is going, it could be bigger than A STORM OF STORMS or A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, the longest books in the series to date. I do usually cut and trim once I finish, but I need to finish first.

I think this means progress.... infinitesimal or substantial.... I don't know, but I think it means progress.

All I see are these 6 words.

but I need to finish first

Yes, George. I'm really glad you understand that now.

I think it is George admitting it has gotten out of hand. He slips the comment in between a lot of more positive ones on other projects.
I suppose when he gets to cutting it down that will include some chapter rewrites too? Some self-editing.

A note at the end of a long GRRM post a few days ago: WINDS, you say? Yes, still working. Finally finished a clutch of Cersei chapters that were giving me fits. Now I am wrestling with Jaime and Brienne. The work proceeds, though not as fast as many of you would like.

Yesterday... on Martin's official Not A Blog

Here's the relevant bit:
One thing I can say, in general enough terms that I will not be spoiling anything: not all of the characters who survived until the end of GAME OF THRONES will survive until the end of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, and not all of the characters who died on GAME OF THRONES will die in A SONG OF ICE & FIRE. (Some will, sure. Of course. Maybe most. But definitely not all) ((Of course, I could change my mind again next week, with the next chapter I write. That’s gardening)).

And the ending? You will need to wait until I get there. Some things will be the same. A lot will not.

Sounds like he is finally genuinely working on the series again. Long may it last.

From the full post it sounds like still a long road ahead as he is still making changes to the story as he goes. Plus he says it is hard.
Makes me think Winds is a few more years off. Interesting post though.

From his Not A Blog, Dec. 28 2022...

Another Christmas has come and gone, and the New Year looms just ahead. Where the hell does all the time go?

I did take a few days off for the holidays, I confess. Shame on me, I guess. But now I am back in the salt mine, working… working on so many bloody things, my head may soon explode. Yes, WINDS OF WINTER, yes, yes. And HOUSE OF THE DRAGON, season two. And several of the other successor shows that we’re developing with HBO. (Some of those are moving faster than others, as is always the case with development. None have been greenlit yet, though we are hoping… maybe soon. A couple have been shelved, but I would not agree that they are dead. You can take something off the shelf as easily as you can put it on the shelf. All the changes at HBO Max have impacted us, certainly). We are also still developing the Wild Cards tv series for Peacock, based (largely) on FORT FREAK. And I have Wild Cards books to edit. Oh, and did I forget WINDS OF WINTER? No, of course I didn’t. But if I ever did, I know you folks will remind me.

The rest of the post was five times longer, but I only copied the first part that contains information regarding TWOW. From his tone, I think that he only hears negative comments. Combative feelings towards his audience isn't good. So, I just sent him an encouraging email. Hoping for 2024.

So a few more years seems feasible..
Assuming that ADwD was published not too long after GRRM had completed it (so let's give it a completion date of early January 2011), and assuming that he's been writing TWoW, on and off, since then, he's taken 12 years to write three-quarters of it, so that gives a completion date of early 2027 (assuming that his estimate of a quarter to go takes account of him pulling it all together so that it's coherent in terms of plot, timing and character development).

There is thus a chance that, should both he and I survive until then, I might be reading it in July of that year.

There are a lot of assumptions in there, so I'm not going to hold my breath. Oh, and 2027+16 = 2043, when I'll be 86 and George will be 94, so I've given up on ever seeing A Dream of Spring (let alone being in a fit state to read it, whenever it's published and whoever has completed it).

It's clear he isn't prioritizing finishing the series, Too many other projects, which apparently override the decent approach of finishing first what you started so long ago. It's not how you make (and keep!) friends.