Arianne Martell - Spoilers & Speculation

red_temple

Boo!
Okay - this one is driving me crazy. In Arianne's last chapter in AFFC, Prince Doran tells Arianne that she was secretly promised to marry someone, but that person is dead now, so it no longer matters. Who could this be? Someone important enough that it would override Dorne becoming hers when Prince Doran dies. Could this person have been Rhegar Targaryen's son, Aegon? I think not, because that promise would have been made too long ago, and there would be no need to keep up the charade of attempting to marry her off after baby Aegon was killed. So it must have been somenone else, but who? Robb Stark?

Funny thing - after typing the above post, I think the answer came to me. Could it have been Viserys? Definitely dead, definitely Targaryen. Yeah - makes sense now to me. It would have givine Arianne the Iron Throne.

red_temple said:
Funny thing - after typing the above post, I think the answer came to me. Could it have been Viserys? Definitely dead, definitely Targaryen. Yeah - makes sense now to me. It would have givine Arianne the Iron Throne.

yup, that was the one!
Welcome back Red Temple - I missed ya! :)

Thanks for the "welcome back," W_S!!! I was in a self imposed exile until I finshed AFFC. Oddly enough, I bought the book the day it came out here in the States, but wasn't able to start it until just recently. I'm close to the end now - I just finished the last Arianne chapter, which sparked my knee-jerk reaction to post my above question.

I better go back into exile and finish before I see any spoilers. I'm sure I'll return in a few days with a lot more stuff to talk about.

Good luck with finishing it off. I agree with you about Viserys as well. That is the most logical solution. The only fault that I have with that is why wouldn't Viserys come back to Dorne or at least attempt to get some help from Doran? It would seem that Viserys is not below begging and pouting to get something. Not trying to argue, but I thought the same thing and that was my only hold-up.

snow

Viserys did not know that Dorne supported the Targaryens still. He only knew what Illyrio chose to tell him. It would be very dangerous for the Dornish to make their feelings known, especially when Robert was still alive. Any show of support for the Targaryens would lead to questions and searches for the living descendents of Aerys.

With all of the backstabbing and trickery that goes on it would not be surprising in the least for someone like Prince Doran to sneak Viserys back into the seven kingdoms and start to accumulate support. Also, we are led to believe that both parties involved were well aware of the betrothal, so Viserys would have know and therefore attempted to make contact. At least that was the way I had imagined it!

If Viserys knew, I highly doubt he would have eagerly wed Daenerys off to Khal Drogo in exchange for a promise of ten-thousand men. Why would he, if he already had an army waiting for him in Dorne? More to the point, why would he marry her to someone across the seas, when he could gain even more support for himself by marrying her to someone in Westeros instead?

Maybe Viserys did not know-Doran could have been plotting with Illyrio and/or Varys without informing Viserys although I don't know why they would keep him in the dark.

Arianne was also in the dark...don't understand that either. Also, Doran knows Dorne doesn't have the strength to oppose the crown. Magister Illyrio is really the one responsible for matching Dany with Drogo and the Dothraki, probably to bolster the strength of Dorne and reassure Doran.

Last edited:
At the time of the betrothal, Viserys was the only living male Targaryen (Aemon and possible Targaryens excluded), and therefore the only legitimate claimant to the throne that wasn't a Baratheon or Lannister. Doran wants to give Arianne the crown that would have been Elia's, as well as revenge for Elia's rape and murder. It seems that the betrothal was made in the few years succeeding the war; it would have been difficult to convince even Targaryen sympathists to oppose the crown so soon in the aftermath of the war. Just speculating...

AryaUnderfoot said:
If Viserys knew, I highly doubt he would have eagerly wed Daenerys off to Khal Drogo in exchange for a promise of ten-thousand men. Why would he, if he already had an army waiting for him in Dorne?

Ahhhhh from the mouth of babes, ask the simple question get the simple answer. The more warriors better goes the battle. And all the more reason to get the 10,000 men so he can go back and claim his bride and his rightful (at least in his mind) rule over the seven kingdoms.

Not to mention there has been no discussion about an army waiting in Dorne.

In the seven kingdoms I could destroy anyone as long as I get an extra 10000 blood riders!!!!!!!!!

jb

Doran says it in AFFC. Dorne, although its warriors are renowned, has a very small population compared to HighGarden and the other Kingdoms. Dorne would need much more support if Viserys were to return to WEsteros to try to reclaim the throne. Hence, Dany's marraige to Drogo and his 10,000 fierce warriors. Although, how they were intending to transport that many men over the ocean of which they were afraid is beyond me. Perhaps even Illyrio and Varys knew that Viserys was going to bite it.

... and Doran didn't gave up. For all we know by now he is planning to wed his son Quentyn to Dany.
So he really must have some reason to belief that house Tagaryen will rise again.

I have to admit, I didn't get the Viserys connection at first. I would have liked to have seen a name, rather than be left speculating.

After all, it may not have been Viserys he was planning to wed her to, but Khal Drogo. :)

Doran's plans for Arianne to marry Viserys might predate Robert's rebellion.

Doran now has her locked up and she may not see the light of day until Dany is safely upon the Iron Throne with Quentyn by her side.

Clearly, she is not safe to let live if Doran wants to give Dorne to Tristayne... so good-bye Arianne.

But then again, Doran will not live long. If he does not execute her, then she and the Sand Snakes may strike again.

I loved the Sand Snakes. I was hoping to see more of them. Now I have to wait. :(

I said:
I have to admit, I didn't get the Viserys connection at first. I would have liked to have seen a name, rather than be left speculating.

After all, it may not have been Viserys he was planning to wed her to, but Khal Drogo. :)

Prince Doran said about the prospective bridegroom that he was dead and when asked how replied, "It was a pot of molten gold." That's how Viserys died.

I just finished a reread of the first 3 books and a new read of AFfC and am suffering withdrawal symptoms. Reading these posts really gets my mind to working.