Sci Fi Trivia!

You are correct....her famous husband, Percy Shelly, Byron and a few others used to vacation in Italy(I think) and this was a challenge they cooked up. Mary was the only one that I can remember that actually finished the project.

Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing something about this in school eons ago. I never would have guessed it though - it was buried too deep! Ok, LittleMiss, your turn!

Hmmmm....let's see. If you've seen this movie, this one should be easy:

In the original "Invaders From Mars" what part of the body did one have to look at for evidence that a person had fallen under the Martians' influence?

Oh! Oh! I know this one...in fact, I was going to ask it :) It is the back of the neck, where they stuck the needle of the machine in that took over their minds...my all time fav as a kid was this one. I watched it a hundred times.

Okay...I need a few minutes to think of a question

In Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog the protag travels back to Victorian England. What animal does he discover there that had become extinct by his time...a lucky guess will nail this one.

Marianne said:
Oh! Oh! I know this one...in fact, I was going to ask it :) It is the back of the neck, where they stuck the needle of the machine in that took over their minds...my all time fav as a kid was this one. I watched it a hundred times.
I've probably seen it close to that many times myself. When I was growing up in southern California, one of the local stations showed it at least once a month, I think. That and "The Day the Earth Stood Still", which is my favorite. Still "Invaders From Mars" comes in a close second.

Oh, and I don't have any idea what the answer to your question, Marianne, so I'll leave the field to the others.:)

Marianne said:
In Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog the protag travels back to Victorian England. What animal does he discover there that had become extinct by his time...a lucky guess will nail this one.
Another guess...The Dodo?

there is a hint in the trivia question itself...but to make it easier, it is a common domestic animal

The answer is a cat....two hundred years from now cats are extinct. One is brought to the future inadvertently and our hero has to return it...sorry if it was so obscure. Connie Willis is a great writer. I highly recomend this book.

I can't think of a scifi question, so someone else take a turn

grrrr damn my memory...it was the creature in charge of the ship that Ford finds himself on when he escapes earth. I don't have my books here so I can't look it up....rats! I will have to do an internet search.

I don't have the foggiest... But Marianne, I like your avatar pic! A cat and a tankard of beer! heh... My cat likes curling up on my lap when I'm getting drunk...ha... :p

That would be Vogon poetry. I like it :D

In The Time Machine by H. G. Wells - the name of the subterranean creatures in Earth's future?

Phillip K. Dick - We Can Remember it for you Wholesale.

In a similar vein:

Arnold Schwartzenegger starred in another sci fi flick (earlier than Total Recall) based upon a novel that shares the same name as the movie. What novel and author? I just realized that this may be a couple of movies. A hint, Richard Dawson also starred in the same movie.