Tips and Traps for Writing Fiction

Do not be afraid of the rewrite or the beta/editor. Things don't always fall into place first time and you're LUCKY if they do!

I heard that professional writers (who have to make a living from it) find it easier to write if they go away (no telephones, no visitors, no kids, no distractions). Locking yourself in a room is best.

Someone also said that really boring hotels are best, Gatwick Airport is ideal apparently because everyone is just passing through and nothing interesting happens. It has the added bonus of being able to listen in on interesting conversations with unusual characters.

well, Asmiley's idea of writing down ideas is excellent - I do it all the time - problem is - I have WAY more ideas than I have finished fics!

I actually got really annoyed last week or the week before and wrote a little mini-treatise on what to include in a fic to get the feedback you want --

maybe I'll tack it in here -----

Useful Tools

Believe it, or not, I am not an organised writer.

When I start a story, it is with only the barest notion of where I want to go. Thus I often write whole scenes which have nothing to do with what I am writing. I keep a file specifically for them, so I can cut and paste to and from.

I often have problems thinking of names for aliens. So I have a file of names. When I think of, or see, a useful name, I put it in there, along with any thoughts as to who or what it belongs to.

I am also terrible at Trek like scientific gobble-de-gook. To help me around that I created Scientific Random Adjective Producer tables (SCRAPs) to give me terms that look good. There is an example table on Star Trek Fanfiction http://www.ascifi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9393

I found these "You know you've been writing too much fanfic when..." here:
http://scifi.about.com/bltoomuchfanfic.htm
(It is Star Trek related, but could easily be any fan-fic.)

Some of them sound a like they were real life experiences:

55. Every time a new challenge is issued, you realize you wrote a story two years ago that fits it.

30. You get up at unreasonable hours so you can chat to other writers about whether or not your latest story idea will work.

23. You put your child's teacher on hold while you jot down a new plot idea.

22. You forget the teacher is on hold while you write a quick outline for future reference.

21. You forget you have a child by the time the story is finished.

16. You have the name of every alien species in the Delta Quadrant in your spellchecker.
I think I have - Dave.

5. You wake up in the night with an idea, sneak downstairs, switch on the computer, type the story, post it, and get back to bed before your 'Significant Other' notices.

1. You get more e-mails saying "I liked your last story" than you get saying "www.[censored].com for free XXX jpegs!!!"

so- you really wanna read my snarky. 'off the top of my head' mini-treatise? okay - here goes - bear in mind - extremem snarkiness abounds and I'd read just one too many fics or pieces of feedback about fics that were bad...

Note: There is a snippet from a story in this - it's from one of my stories, titled "After the Chip is Gone." (If you want a link to it, I'll grab it for you) I decided to use my own work as example b/c it's so much nicer to pick on yourself. (not to mention it was handy!)

How to get that flood of positive feedback you're *so* looking for:

The following are very important for Fic Writing:

Spelling!
Grammar!
Characterization!
Originality!
BETAS!!!!!!

Spelling:

Trust me, if you don't spell most of the words correctly in your story, no one is going to want to read much farther than the first page. Use the spell check. It comes standard with most word processing programs, and I *know* it comes on all Microsoft based software. Use it! Then, once the spell check has scanned your document, make sure YOU read over it very carefully, because the spell check only checks to see if the word is spelled correctly, it cannot inform you if you've used a wrong word, or the wrong form of a word. We've all seen that poem "Owed to the Spell-cheque" right? [If not, do a search on the internet and find it, you will understand why the spell-check is a great tool, but not the be all and end all.] Spelling: it really is more important than you think!

Grammar:

Ah, grammar (and make sure you spell this word right, there is no 'e'), one of those things that most people ignore and some never learn. Grammar is more than just word placement, puncutation is part of grammar too. You need to punctuate all of your sentences correctly, as well as placing the words in the correct order.

Ignore the grammar check, for the most part, on your word processor. Why? Because it will inform you to correct some things that do not need correcting and will only serve to confuse you more. Instead, learn the rules of standard modern English grammar; you and your readers will be much happier in the long run. If you think this is not so, then do another internet search for 'bad fic' and you will find several sites that review fan fiction and point out many of the most glaring errors, and some of the more subtle ones as well.

The biggest mistake I see that is so glaring it makes me want to rip my hair out is […] ellipses that are used in place of commas. Ellipses have a very special purpose and should be used VERY sparingly! When they are used in place of commas, they break up the piece and make it very choppy. For example, read the passage below: [ellipses added]

You know… I got all the way to Dallas, Texas before I realized I'd left my damned duster back in that crypt? Had the shorter leather jacket… but the long duster I'd left behind… and I have no idea how I managed that. I wear the thing everywhere. Remember takin' it off to do some packing and loading into the car… and guess I must have forgotten to grab it before I leapt into the DeSoto (which was graciously returned to me by some kind soul from LA) and took off for anywhere else. Well… I was almost to Dallas… so I said 'sod it' and just lived without the damned thing. And that worked well for about five months. Then I had to have it back. Don't have any idea if it's still in that crypt… but I'm gonna look.

Your eyes hit the ellipses and stop. Why? Because that is what an ellipse tells you to do, stop and wait a bit before moving on. An ellipse is an extended pause that indicates something is missing from the sentence, or that a character was unable to finish his/her line of dialogue for some reason or another; generally because he/she was interrupted or he/she lost his/her train of thought. Sometimes, ellipses can be used to mean a character stutters, but most characters shouldn't stutter and should also be able to finish his/her lines of dialogue or thoughts.

Now, read the passage again, the way it was intended:

You know, I got all the way to Dallas, Texas before I realized I'd left my damned duster back in that crypt? Had the shorter leather jacket, but the long duster I'd left behind, and I have no idea how I managed that. I wear the thing everywhere. Remember takin' it off to do some packing and loading into the car, and guess I must have forgotten to grab it before I leapt into the DeSoto (which was graciously returned to me by some kind soul from LA) and took off for anywhere else. Well, I was almost to Dallas, so I said 'sod it' and just lived without the damned thing. And that worked well for about five months. Then I had to have it back. Don't have any idea if it's still in that crypt, but I'm gonna look.

(Passage from "After the Chip is Gone" by Highlander II)

Using commas instead of ellipses makes the passage smoother. Your eyes only stop when the sentence does, which is when it should.

Punctuation: it really is just as important as word placement.
Grammar: it really is just as important as plot.

Characterization:

Why, oh why, is this the hardest thing for so many writers to comprehend? More often than not, I'll find myself reading a story based on one of my favorite TV shows, and I'll begin to ask myself, 'Who are these people? Where did they come from?' When the reader begins to ask questions like these, there is a problem with the story. Because in fanfiction, you are writing with pre-established characters, you must keep the characters within the framework of the established canon, unless you choose to write "Alternate Reality" or "Alternate Universe" (AR or AU) fiction (which is a whole other topic of discussion, for a later time). If Spike is a mean, nasty, evil vampire on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, then he had better be a mean, nasty, evil vampire in your fic, because if you turn him into a 'big, fluffy puppy' with no explanation, the readers will not be pleased. By the same token, if you are writing Major Samantha Carter from Stargate SG-1, you should refrain from turning her all 'girly' and 'wussy,' because she's not. She is an officer in the United States Air Force (as portrayed on TV, anyway), and is not afraid of putting her life on the line; it's part of her job.

Do I go a little overboard about characterization? Yes! Make that: Hell yes! Why? Because it is the single most irritating thing in the world of fiction to sit down in front of the computer and get ready to read a fic, only to find out that the characters you thought you were going to find, are nowhere in sight.
Characterization: it really is good to know you're reading about the right people.

Originality:

Originality, it goes very well with plot. I read on a website once, a category for rating labeled: "Death to Clones" and thought it quite fitting. What is a clone? Yeah, I can hear you asking that right now. A clone, as far as fanfic reviewing goes, is a storyline that has been written by so many authors that if the reader/reviewer has to read it again s/he will want to rip out his/her hair. Generally, when someone refers to a story as a clone, s/he is referring to one that has not been written very well; the story is nearly identical to every other version of that same idea, or there is nothing particularly interesting about the story, though it may be written extremely well. I'm betting you want an example of a 'clone,' so I will provide you with one: From The Pretender -- "Jarod and Miss Parker sleep together for the first time." (Or any other pairing of characters from any other program.) This particular scenario seems to be a favorite in all genres and varieties. That first sexual experience between two characters has been written by every fanfic writer who ever decided to pick up a pencil or sit before a computer (yes, this does include myself, however, I have never completed such a story, nor have I ever posted one... and I don't intend to).

All fanfic writers, when they get an idea, should jot down the idea, then, before they even begin to write, think about how many other stories they have seen that focused on that same theme. For example, you are a writer and you want to write about the first time Jarod and Miss Parker have sex. That's entirely acceptable, however, before you begin, try to come up with a scenario that a) makes sense for the two characters (see segment on characterization) and b) hasn't already been done a hundred times over. If you cannot find a way to write the story differently or with a new angle that hasn't been approached in previous fic, maybe you should consider a new topic. As much as you'd love to write about Jarod and Miss Parker engaging in a romantic encounter, if fifty other writers have already done the same thing you're planning, you may want to reconsider, or write the story just for yourself, don't post it on a website for readers to see and say to themselves "Oh, no, not another one." Remember, you don't have to post every single story you write just b/c you've written it. Some stories can stay safely locked away in your story vault.
Originality: it really is just as important as the plot.

BETAS!!!:

Yes, "BETAS" is in all capital letters. Why? Because it seems to be the most often skipped step in fanfic writing. Trust me, a reader can tell if a writer hasn't had someone else read his/her story before having it posted to the web. "But I write good," you say. Well, apparently not, because if you did, you would know that the correct phrasing of that would be: "But I write well." So, you think you don't need a beta reader because you think you have everything down and the story is written the way you want it. Think again. When you think you have the story exactly the way you want it, send it to a beta reader. Why? Because the beta reader can see things in the story that you might have missed. An author is very close to his/her story and "knows" what the story should include and where the plot is going, a beta reader doesn't have any of the preconceived notions about the story, and can therefore point out problem spots along the way, such as continuity and characterization flaws, as well as any spelling and grammar mistakes that the author might have missed.

Beta readers are INDISPENSABLE! And remember, if your beta sends you comments that suggest changes and remark on mistakes in continuity and characterization, these are not personal attacks on you, the author, but comments on the story itself. Taking the constructive criticism of a beta reader might be a little harsh at first, but when you get those first pieces, read them, then sit back, take a deep breath, and relax. Remember that the questions and comments are not a reflection of how the beta thinks of you as a person, but his/her questions and comments regarding the story you've asked him/her to read for you, and you should take each and every one of them into consideration. Does this mean that you have to accept every change suggested? No, but you should, at least, consider all of them, and I mean think about them very hard before you reject them and call your beta reader nasty names. Respect your beta reader!

And just a note for all of those writers who put in their comments: "I don't use a beta reader" there are a few things I'd like to say: 1) Why the heck not? 2) Don't expect many people to read and like your story. 3) You should probably reconsider that and find a good beta, because chances are, your story really isn't as good as you think it is.

If you are interested in locating a good beta reader, there are a number of lists on yahoogroups for writers seeking betas, and I believe there are websites with the same goal. Just run an internet search and you're sure to come up with something.
BETAS!: you really can't write without them!

Conclusion:

There really is no one, single aspect of writing that is more important than the others. Each piece must build upon the others to complete the whole. A work of fiction must balance all aspects - spelling, grammar, characterization, originality - to be successful. Add to that an excellent beta reader, and you have the recipe for good fic. Pay careful attention to each and every aspect, and listen to your beta reader and you could be wading in a flood of positive feedback. Now, does this mean you will never receive negative feedback? Of course not. There will always be both - negative and positive. One important thing to remember: don't let the positive feedback lure you into a false sense of security! There is always room for improvement, even for professional, published authors who have been writing for years. Everyone has the potential to improve and should strive for that with each new story! Good luck, and happy writing!

btw - I did have someone read this before I posted it. :)

Oh, and Dave - on the 'you know you've been...'

read the rest - some are really funny!

Can't say I've ever handed in fanfic as a class assignment tho -

However, I did use several movies for my Sr. Thesis in college - ah - being a poli sci major has some advantages - esp if you're good w/ those 'workaround' type topics ----

Originally posted by Highlander II

btw - I did have someone read this before I posted it. :)

Yes, I read it, and I missed most of the errors. Heh, and they want me to be a Beta.

I've read it. Twice.

Got to say I think its all good sound reasoning.

Heaven knows where I lay though:)

Character Names.

Are you stuck for an original name for your character? You've exhausted the authors of books on the shelf above you, all your friends, your daughter's schoolmates, and now you are into the phonebooks?

I have a solution to your problem!

Find one of the many baby names websites such as this one:
http://www.popularbabynames.com/

You can input the sex, religion or geographical region, and the meaning of the name into 3 fields, then it searches out names for you with ease, and even sorts them out alphabetically.

Excellent advice, Dave!! (btw - I've done that)

Something that I do all the time - sports personalities --

hockey players have the coolest names! mix and match them and come up w/ some really cool names!

Another tip -- don't be afraid to use alternate spellings of names - it's much easier in fic than for an actual person (b/c the person in the fic doesn't have to constantly explain how to spell his/her name) --

Thanks 4 the tips ray :rolly2:

I've already posted 1 thta I've wote using characters from 'London's Burning' & it's been done in the form of a diary of the character Michael David "Bayleaf" Wilson :blush: :eek: :kisses: :rolly2:

Even though I've posted the 1st 5 entries & there's more 2 go, I've still got ideas that can & nbo doubt will be used at some time in there 2

So my hint is 2 jot idea(s) down on paper as you never know just how useful they could be

:blush:

Repetition

It goes without saying repetition in a story is a bad thing and should be avoided. I've just finished reading a fan fic where the blonde haired, blue eyed pilot, sat at his console six times in the first page, along with 'mighty star ships'.

But there are times where it is of great benefit- For instance when a thread of a story splits and spends a long time following one strand, before returning to pick up the other. Or if an event is seen in a very different way.
Even in these circumstances try to avoid describing the event with the same words. Better still avoid describing the thing at all in one or other string! (No it doesn't have to be in the first). If a space ship explodes in a 'crimson ball of smoke and fire', it will not benefit from a second dose.

True, so even though the characters in mine are mainly the same (of course there are always changes in a watch over the years). I've tried not 2 have the same 'shout' happen twice, even though in the briagde it can, but usually ends up being different in another way

I think, individual words, like 'Shout', are often over and miss-used.
You can't avoid using them and repeating them, but are they necessarily correct? How are they shouting? Is it a roar, a bellow, a cry? Is it loud and clear, booming, hoarse, or muffled?

In cases where you have a command chain, which is what I think you are referring to, the command has to be repeated. But each carrier of the command will do it differently. e.g.
"Stand the men easy, Major," the Colonel suggested quietly.
"Stand the men easy, Captain," the Major ordered.
"Stand at ease," The Captain called the command on to the Sergeant Major.
"Sar!" The Sergeant Major snapped, before turning to the parade.
"Stand at ease!" He bellowed with all the force of an apoplectic elephant.

Perhaps not the best example, but the idea is there.

A 'shout' is a fire brigade term 4 a working job i.e call out & so that's why it's used as part of their terminology, but I do try & explain the meaning as best as I can