Glen Cook?

Ainulindale said:
No I haven't I may give it a try however, although I must admit outside of the current series by Keyes, Martin, Bakker, and Erikson I have given up on Epic fantasy for now , and have been focusing on a couple of works that are similar but have slightly different elements like John C. Wright's Last Guardian of Everness, and the Year of our War by Steph Swainston, both recent, excellent first installments to series, and highly recommended.

Sounds a bit like my own engagement with the fantasy genre lately, although the only series I allow myself is Erikson's. It grabbed me in a way the others haven't, especially Deadhouse Gates. Re: Swainston. The Year of Our War is a good debut, but I must confess that I felt it was also fundamentally flawed. For a fantasy debut from recent times that really seemed to me to hold lots of promise of a totally original and engaging voice, have you read KJ Bishop's The Etched City? If you've enjoyed Viriconium and New Crobuzon, you ought visit Ashamoil!

For a fantasy debut from recent times that really seemed to me to hold lots of promise of a totally original and engaging voice, have you read KJ Bishop's The Etched City? If you've enjoyed Viriconium and New Crobuzon, you ought visit Ashamoil!

No Doubt! A great debut! in fact my site is planning an interview with Mrs. Bishop in the near future as well:) Seems lile an exceltionally nice lady as well.

Ainulindale said:
I want to point out that is not my opinion, but from what I have been able to notice (on many boards) there is a large contingent of readers who simply think Gardens of the Moon presents a very choppy inroduction, which does have some merit to it admittedly. This is eliminated as the series porgresses howevr, and I think it's a good series.

Hmmm..I'm a big Martin fan, in regards to epic fantasy I would agree along with Bakker). I can't say that I think Erikson is writing at the same level of Gene Wolfe, or China Mieville however, but that's really no slight
I agree that Gardens Of The Moon is the weakest of the books and that when you get into Book 2 Deadhouse gates and the continuing series the standard goes up a notch or three.

I would agree that Erikson's standard of writing is good but not as refined as Gene Wolfe who is a great writer full stop BUT the world building, sense of history and magical systems IMHO are very good and he is certainly skilled as a Storyteller!

Ainulindale said:
No I haven't I may give it a try however, although I must admit outside of the current series by Keyes, Martin, Bakker, and Erikson I have given up on Epic fantasy for now , and have been focusing on a couple of works that are similar but have slightly different elements like John C. Wright's Last Guardian of Everness, and the Year of our War by Steph Swainston, both recent, excellent first installments to series, and highly recommended.
Paul Kearney's Monarchies Of God series is EPIC but written more in the fashion of Horatio Hornblower (high seas adventure) meets an historical military fantasy with magic undertones in the guise of werewolves, shapeshifters, some wizardly action etc..

Actually its a fairly transparent take on 16th century European Christiandom (these guys use gunpowder and arquebusiers (historical term used for the precursor to the musketeer of the gun wielding variety) and plenty of Church vs. State intrigue with a Pontiff as head) vs the "Eastern Hordes" with our shapeshifter friends lurking in the background. so in summary, plenty of political/church intrigue, warring, high sea adventures, fobidden scrolls, some magic etc.. Certainly not your standard sword and sorcery fantasy though.

I think I enjoyed it because it was bit different to what I'm used in terms of not having such a great emphasis on magic per se and quite well written.

His new book The Mark Of Ran in the Sea Beggars Series is more tightly written with a stronger emphasis on magic and his best work to date IMHO. More along the standards of Keyes and Erikson I'd say. However he does not intend this to be a series i.e. an EPIC although the stories will be linked in the sense that they will contain the adventures of a couple of main mariner characters. I think you could do wose than to try this book.

OH, by the way maybe you could check out Kate Elliot's Crown Of Stars series?? This is certainly EPIC High fantasy and she's a competent writer. Not as detailed as Erikson but I've enjoyed the sereis so far. Another one based on a medieval Europe where the Church is well and truly at the fore but plenty of magic. Not as gritty either as say Martin, so more in line with ranging from Young Adult to Adult fantasy. More ion kepping with Tad William's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series and current Shadowmarch trilogy.

Bye for now.:D :D :D

Last edited:
Ainulindale said:
I want to point out that is not my opinion, but from what I have been able to notice (on many boards) there is a large contingent of readers who simply think Gardens of the Moon presents a very choppy inroduction, which does have some merit to it admittedly. This is eliminated as the series porgresses howevr, and I think it's a good series.

Hmmm..I'm a big Martin fan, in regards to epic fantasy I would agree along with Bakker). I can't say that I think Erikson is writing at the same level of Gene Wolfe, or China Mieville however, but that's really no slight.

I agree with you there - GotM isn't great for an opening book, and it takes a re-read after the others have been read for it to be recognisably a good book - it's fine having lots of stuff going on, even starting in the middle of a plot, or so it seemed, but having the extra knowledge from the later books really helps it make sense and it can be much more enjoyable, not having to refer to the back or front every few minutes.
I agree his writing isn't up to Mieville's standard, but then very few authors are. It's still pretty good, but as he himself said, he isn't focusing on every word and trying to create a literary masterpiece, he's just enjoying himself while writing. I'd say his writing is roughly equivalent to Leiber's. I prefer Erikson over other authors who have better writing purely because while he may not be near perfect in any one area, he is the best at consistently being excellent across all the important areas of a fantasy novel - characterisation, plot, worldbuilding etc, and for once the story takes place in a world I could believe existed, with a detailed history and an actual points to the different races and peoples who inhabit it, which most authors fail to provide. Even Tolkien didn't succeed as well as Erikson in this, IMO, and that's why I think he's the best.

Glen Cook writes good stories, though his writing quality isn't that high, but he does provide one of the very few (I can think of no other examples) military fantasies with a gritty, realistic viewpoint that is refreshing. The Black Company novels are relatively easy reads, but worthwhile. They aren't as good as Martin, Erikson etc, but they are still a lot better than the more mainstream, modern fantasy - Jordan, Eddings etc.

The later Black Company books are amazing. The Lady is the greatest female character ever. :cool:

May I say that I prefer Soulcatcher ? Oops, just did it. ;). Any way, long live Croaker.

Back on that point about Ran's ASoIaF board, yes Martin fans there for the greater part do appear to be split between Erikson and Bakker. So frequent it appears they can not reconcile both writers. Personally Erikson amazes me, absolutely amazes.

"black company" is really good, although I prefer the beginning
"garret P.I." is one of my favourite series, although (I really like this word, as it seems) the last one "Angry lead skies" was a dissapointment, didn't link with the previous books, and X-files type setting .... yuck
"darkwar" - the first book was very good, the second readable, the third ... i'll get back to you, when i manage to get through it ;)
"dragon never sleeps" was pretty nice and refreshing take on SF
"starfishers" somehow i haven't been able to get into the first book
"dread empire" trilogy ... waits until i remember about them ... now i've remembered ... have to rise them to the top of reading pile

Due to a bit of discussion recently regarding Glen Cook's Black Company thought I'ld bump this thread up a bit. I've posted information on his other series here as well for those interested....:)

Just finished the first one, and as I said in the other thread, it's really good stuff. Perhaps a turning point in the genre, and certainly something that fantasy really needed I think.

Spotted and snatched up a limited edition HB copy of A Cruel Wind: A Chronicle Of The Dread Empire (Original trilogy) - Glen Cook.

It has a forward by Jeff Vandermeer and is from NightShade books and quite pricey but I couldn't give up the opportunity.

Let you know how I find them.

I remember thinking when I first read Gardens of the Moon that it was like reading Glen Cook Lite.
Does anyone notice the break in style in the middle of the Black Company series? Cook had written the first five or so books and found that he wasn't making enough money to keep it going so he stopped writing and went back to his day job. He eventually relented and returned to writing after a break of about 6 years. This is why the series kind of takes a wide turn towards the end.

I've about halfway through the first Black company book. There is a lot about it I like- the characterisation, the magic involved, the storyline. What I guess I dislike is that it feels like a bunch of excerpts from a much larger book- we get a LOT of cutting to weeks, months later when I'm really, really interested in what happened in between. I appreciate that he just wants to keep the pace moving fast, but to be honest, it feels a little like he just couldn't be bothered giving full details. I disagree with Riehl; the Black company feels like Erikson lite. Perhaps that's because I read Erikson first...

Im reading The Black Company book 1 right now.

So far i like the characters and the world but the lack of military action is alittle dissapointing. People hailing the series cause of military action but i have seen nothing like that and i have read almost half the book.
When its action its not the company that does its the big powerful mages like Shifter.

I agree with the guy that says its too fast paced. Not that he jumps over time periods but that things happen almost too fast.

Its feel alittle like reading synopis of the book....

I hope its gets better he slows down the pace alittle when he is telling the story.

I would say i like his prose more than Erikson's but Erikson was more effective when he was telling the story,the twist,action scenes etc

True but stick with it and ye shall be rewarded, we're talking about Erikson here for those unclear..:)