Clive Barker

Meant to add, the sequel to 'Thief of Always', I think is still being finished, I did read somewhere though that 'The Thief of Always' is being made into a feature lenght cartoon which I am looking forward it. :)

I'm almost done Weaveworld. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, but it's become a bit long in the last 200 pages or so. It's just not my favorite. I can't wait to see what happens to Shadwell.

Try Cabal it's not too long
Although this thread could be so old you have now read all his books :rolleyes:

Hi and welcome

I really enjoyed 'Cabal',it was a brilliant read.

I have the illustrated book for 'Nightbreed' - the movie and it tells you all about the background of all the characters.

Its really good.:)

weaveworld said:
Hi everyone, how are you? I have returned, just to say I have read most of Clive Barker's books, they were all ace.

:)

Same here, Ive read most of his books minus Galilee and Sacrament. For Galilee ill wait for the book's sequal then ill read them both one after another.

For anyone who said hes a tough read I have to disagree.

His prose , for me anyhow, is really easy to digest, and I get pulled in instantly.

I have to disagree about avoiding Abarat I thought it was really damn good.

I know how popular Clive is but that doesnt make him any less good. In fact I think his writing is a lot less clunky then Stephen King who when I read I sometimes find my self looking away from the book, seeing the page number, not really focusing. Its a prose thing.
Clive Barkers writing just seems more fluid and I dont notice that im reading when I absorb his stories.

I think he is actually underated, considered a pop writer/hack but in my opinion he transcends that into being a writer of literature. Well at least he's on the cusp. I think his books will be appreciated far more in the future, like post mortem.

He is extremely commercial which puts some people off. Like Disney for instance loves him and will most likely adapt Abarat to movie/comic/cartoon/theme park.--- even so he's an amazing storyteller and it doesnt phase me how much the mainstream accepts him, hes very good.

I also think his artwork is rather good, which is suprising.

There have been quite a few movies of his I liked. I did enjoy Nightbreed,Hellraiser1 and 2, and Lord Of Illusion(which seemed like a lovecraft story to me).

Hellraiser1,2 were completely brilliant ,inventing an entirely knew horror genre.

I was hoping for a Nightbreed sequal-- who knows?
I didnt like Candyman as much but I cant say it was awful or anything.

Barker invents entirely knew horror/fantasy themes from complete scratch, he doesnt just copy the regular themes like vampires/frankenstien/werewolves/ghosts etc, this is what amazes me most about his books. For the most partThey are entirely new concepts.

I would say he is more of a fantasy writer then a horror writer.

Im not allowed to post urls on this website yet. But one of the officall Barker sites had a coming soon page for future Barker works that Clive himself had admitted to be working on. Clive barker is extremely busy and probably has dozens of projects at the same time. That section of this particualr site is gone now though. As I said I would post a link but I dont have mod permission to do so yet since I am a new member to this forum. This wouldnt matter anyhow since this website discontinued its 'coming soon" section anyhow LOL.

On an entirely different note I clicked the blog attached to your avatar, and read this.

(In regards to the CIA and Secrets.)

"Now, I know that in what passes for the real world, the gathering of things people and governments try to keep secret and then keeping them secret is part of the cat-and-mouse game that is the intelligence establishment.

I know that.

But it just sounds so childish.

"I know something you don't know! Neener, neener, neener.""

This made me laugh. You're funny. :)

I love Clive Barkers work, all of it. Books, films and art. He is a true fantasist in every sense of the word, in fact, he's practically a benchmark =D

His art is stunning. I'm trying to justify spending the money on one of his prints for my living room. I recently purchased Abarat for the art alone, thinking I wouldn't enjoy the story as it was aimed at children. Well, I'm reading it now and so far it's excellent. Not as 'aimed as children' as I thought it would be (I started reading it to my daughter, but she didn't understand it and became bored). Probably the most attractive book in my collection (and heaviest, what's in the boards, lead?!), I'm eagerly anticipating the others in the series.

On Imajica. Although I love this book, I also found the last 100 pages a drag and just wanted it to end.

As I have a soft spot for Pinhead I think I would like to see Barker direct his own Hellraiser story. It would be intriguing to see his take on th characters and how he would bring their world to the screen.

I've read most of his books and loved them. Didn't know there was a sequel to Galilee either so thank you for the head's up on that. I keep thinking that I'd like to name my home Hellbound Heart. (Morpheus is leaning towards Impending Doom)

I think the ones I liked best are The Thief Of Always, Hellbound Heart, Weaveworld, Cabal, Imagica, The Books of Blood, Great & Secret Show, Everville, Galilee.

I like Clive Barker and have read most of his bigger novels.

However I do wish he would finish at least one of the series he starts.

Cabal was originally supposed to be a trilogy, still waiting for the next "art" book, sequels to Gaililee, Theif of Always were rumoured, a few more Afarat books.

The guy has more ongoing projects than I have hot dinner.

So far I've only read Books of Blood. I can honestly say that they are the most vile, disgusting, and disturbing things I've ever read. And I loved them.

I also just started on Imajica but it's too soon to really form an opinion on it yet.

I love Clive Barker's books. My favorite is Weaveworld, and a close second is The Thief of Always.

I've just finished reading Coldheart Canyon and overall I thought it a very good read with some fantastic ideas and great references to the silver screen. I agree about Barker being a little self indulgent in places - the dog was one bit and also the trickle of an ending that could've easily been condensed quite a bit. But overall a damn good read.