Clive Barker

Well, maybe I should give him a second chance but time is short and there's so much to read. As long as I could be sure that it wasn't going to be as bad as Weaveworld I might be pursuaded to give Barker another try...

I consider myself lucky to have read a fantasy as good and memorable as Weaveworld.

I consider myself lucky to have read a fantasy as good and memorable as Weaveworld.
A lot of people do rate it, I know. I was first introduced to it by a friend when I was a teenager. I started reading it but couldn't finish it. Since then, several people have also recommended it over the years so that last year I decided to give it another go. This time I read it through but confirmed my original dislike for the tale.

Sometimes I guess what works for doesn't work for others. There's probably no such thing as a universally liked story.

My vote, if you're going to read only one other thing (at least, unless you find you're impressed enough with that to go further) is The Damnation Game. As a recommendation, my own feeling is that the Books of Blood are too uneven; and, while there is a certain amount of that with the novel, on the whole it's quite a superb performance, with a very modern (and very effective) take on the Faustian character....

IMO it doesnt matter how uneven Books of Blood is because there are some memorable stories in it atleast in vol 1. The first story who bears the name of the collection was pretty interesting. Set me in the right mood fast for the other stories.

Funny enough what happened to the boy reminded me of Bradbury's Illustrated Man for a clear reason.

Hi Ive read most of Clive Barkers books and my recomendation is the slimmer the better. The longer ones such as Weaveworld and The Great And Secret Show start out really good with original ideas and a good story base then halfway through they loose the plot thread. In my oppinion the best ones are the short stories or such as The Hellbound Heart

IMO it doesnt matter how uneven Books of Blood is because there are some memorable stories in it atleast in vol 1.

That's just the reason I suggested going with The Damnation Game, though... if Fried Egg has already been less than impressed with something, why steer him to something that is so uneven next, rather than something that is much more consistently even in quality? On the other hand, if The Damnation Game proves interesting enough, it's likely to get someone to looking up The Books of Blood and even overlooking (or at least accepting) the poorer stories and read more by him, knowing that the man can do much better work....

I read a collection called The Inhuman Condition and i thought it had some pretty good stories in it, including The Body Politic. Btw does anyone have an opinion regarding this book called Coldheart Canyon? Picked it up in a seconds shop a good while back but haven't got around to reading it. Never read a full-length novel by Barker before.

It's a bizarre book. It's a world in a world. There's the realm of Hollywood and all that is does to it's denizens. There's Coldheart Canyon itself and those who live within it and there's a world contained withing a room in Coldheart Canyon. There are shades of Lovecraft here in what happens with Coldheart Canyon. It's a dark work but it's well realised and well written.

I thought Weaveworld was a fantastic book, although I do prefer his earlier work to the more recent novels. The Books of Blood were great, as was the Hellbound Heart, and I really enjoyed the Great and Secret Show ...

Well, courtesy of Nesacat who has furnished me with a selection of Clive Barker books, I have read "The Hellbound Heart".

I found it an enjoyable read as well as gripping; I read it in one setting (although that might have something to do with the fact that I was stuck on a long train journey). Interesting conceptually too.

I do have a couple of minor gripes though. [spoliers]Not quite sure why Frank was so corrupted and evil when he came back. Also I don't understand why Frank appeared to have a choice about going with the Cenobites whereas Kirsty didn't.[/spoilers]

All in all though, generally more gory and visceral than I look for in a book but it didn't rely on that aspect. There was a good story behind it all.

Perhaps the rules are different if you manage to get away from them. Maybe to take you back they need you to actually say you are the person who got away and that gives them the power to take you back. Like confessing to a crime perhaps.

I think the Cenobites built on all that was already within Frank. Their world seems to offer more of what you already are.

Am glad you're beginning to like Barker.
:)

I meant when Frank first opened the cube. He had to give his full consent before the Cenobites could take him whereas Kirsty was going to just be taken against her will.

Not read a Clive Barker for a few years but I have read The Great and Secret Show, Everville, Weaveworld and a couple of others I think.

I have Galilea at home but not read it yet, once I get through my ever growing pile of fantasy I might have to give it a whirl :)

I've only just got into Clive Barker (yes... I'm slow), but I read Mr. B. Gone on a whim and thought it was brilliant. I'm planning to read Cabal next (even though I have just seen Nightbreed - I feel the book may have something more to offer).

I've only just got into Clive Barker (yes... I'm slow), but I read Mr. B. Gone on a whim and thought it was brilliant. I'm planning to read Cabal next (even though I have just seen Nightbreed - I feel the book may have something more to offer).
I also read Cabal after seeing Nightbreed, and I'm quite glad I did. The book is so much deeper and more detailed. When I saw the movie, I didn't know it had been a book. I kept thinking that parts of it seemed glossed over. The book provides the details that were glossed over.

It's one of those cases where the movie didn't really do the book justice.

I read the book Cabal before watching the movie Nightbreed. In my case I did not know there was a movie based on the book, although I was aware of there being a movie called Nightbreed. I liked the movie in its own right but the book was much better at telling the story and fleshing everything out.

On the other hand, I thought Hellraiser was better than The Hellbound Heart. The cenobites are more interesting in the movie, and the relationships between the characters feels more compelling as well.