Clive Barker

Hellraiser and Hellbound Heart. I cannot choose between them. I love the book. It is probably the one I like best of all his books aside from the Books of Blood. Those are short stories though and different.

But I also like the Hellraiser movies. Not all of them though. The first one definitely and to some extent the second and third. They sort of unravelled after that though I did like the one in the space station quite a bit. It at least attempted to explain the birth of the puzzle box.

But I also like the Hellraiser movies. Not all of them though. The first one definitely and to some extent the second and third. They sort of unravelled after that though I did like the one in the space station quite a bit. It at least attempted to explain the birth of the puzzle box.

The first straight to video release, Inferno, is also quite good. It has more of a Tales From the Darkside feel to it, but it is an effective little low-budget horror film.

Unfortunately it looks like Disney cancelled the movies based on Abarat. I for one was expecting to see those dreamy imagens on a big screen, although to be sure I always thought the partnership of Disney with Barker somewhat "strange".

And has anyone else thought that Days of Magic, Nights of War was a bit of a letdown considering the previous volume?

I would like to see Abarat on the big screen. The images would be magical if done right though, yes a partnership with Disney does seem a little incongruous given Barker's repertoire.

I've only got the first two books and there are meant to be five in all. I've not seen any of the others in stores yet. At least not here in Malaysia.

D_Davis ... I have seen that one. It's pretty different from the rest of the movies and yes, it does have a sort of Darkside feel to it.

I've only got the first two books and there are meant to be five in all. I've not seen any of the others in stores yet. At least not here in Malaysia.

At the moment those two are the only ones published. The most recent work by Barker (speaking in terms of books, not games etc.) is Mr. B. Gone, not related to Abarat.

Yes I have Mister B Gone. Got mine in hardback since Borders was offering it at 20% off. I liked it a great deal. It's different. Though it seems that there has been a slew of books about books recently. Am not complaining though. have always liked books about books.

I just read the first story in the Books of blood (Vol.1) and it was quite good. I must say though that I find it a little disturbing the way he oftens sexualises his horror though. Obviously in stark contrast to Lovecraft...

I've yet to read any of his stuff,his books are just so big! Tried to read Sacrament twice but it so long winded and boring it put me off. (That book is now up for grabs on my bookmooch list)
Helen swears by Abarat tho.

Yes I have Mister B Gone. Got mine in hardback since Borders was offering it at 20% off. I liked it a great deal. It's different. Though it seems that there has been a slew of books about books recently. Am not complaining though. have always liked books about books.
Interesting, a lot of people including several reviewers bagged this book which is partly why I didn't buy it. Maybe I need to give it a go...

I've yet to read any of his stuff,his books are just so big! Tried to read Sacrament twice but it so long winded and boring it put me off. (That book is now up for grabs on my bookmooch list)
Helen swears by Abarat tho.

I'd suggest some of his earlier work, which was considerably shorter -- either his Books of Blood (which, though uneven, have some superb things in them) or The Damnation Game for a novel....

i'm in the middle of imajica, finding it hard to stay focused. usually i can't put his books down.

I've read a couple more stories; "Midnight Meat Train" and "Yattering and Jack". The former was a bit too gore-fest for my liking but the latter was great, much more my cup of tea.

Am glad you are living at least some of the tales in Books of Blood Fried Egg. I've been re-reading them off and on for several years and yes his writing is sometimes in rather stark contrast to Lovecraft. Sometimes that is why I like them both. They make you see and fell the same thing sometimes but in different ways.

I've finished the 1st volume of the Books of Blood and it's been quite good. The last story was excellent. Quite an eclectic mix.

I shall have a break and then return to the next volume shortly...

I just read the first story in the Books of blood (Vol.1) and it was quite good. I must say though that I find it a little disturbing the way he oftens sexualises his horror though. Obviously in stark contrast to Lovecraft...

I have read some Lovecraft but not all of it. It seems to me his horror is abstracted, in that it doesn't directly connect to everyday human experience. It is more about ancient, alien creatures from other dimensions, and a sort of primal dread. All very good, but not something easily relateable to.

I prefer the Barker style horror that taps into mundane, basic things like sexuality. That you find it distubing shows it is working! Because what is the point of horror if it doesn't make you feel at least a little uncomfortable?

I have read some Lovecraft but not all of it. It seems to me his horror is abstracted, in that it doesn't directly connect to everyday human experience. It is more about ancient, alien creatures from other dimensions, and a sort of primal dread. All very good, but not something easily relateable to.

I prefer the Barker style horror that taps into mundane, basic things like sexuality. That you find it distubing shows it is working! Because what is the point of horror if it doesn't make you feel at least a little uncomfortable?
Well, bear in mind that I'm quite new to horror, comming at it as a fan of fantasy. Thus, I prefer supernatural and fantastic types of horror.

By the way, I do find much of Lovecraft's work disturbing although perhaps in quite a different way.

I just read "Thief of Always" (courtesy of Nesacat) and I found that quite enjoyable. Didn't realise it is actually a children's horror story. It was illustrated by the author himself and they were superb, really adding to the atmosphere.

Actually, the main difference between this and his "adult" horror was the lack of sexualisation and gore. Two aspects which I was happy to dispense with. :D

I am anxiously awaiting two Barker related things:

The film, Midnight Meat Train, directed by Ryuhei Kitamura (Versus)

and

The Scarlet Gospel

These can't come soon enough!

Hmm...is that "Midnight Meat Train" that was in the first book of blood? Not sure I'd want to see that; it was a bit of a gore fest...