What we're reading in August...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which was precisely the problem I had with the story. I don't doubt he expected readers to recognise the story of Scheherazade, but his use of it just felt lazy - as if he couldn't bothered to think up a new story. Perhaps "ripped off" was the wrong phrase, but "retold" sounds like it could be approving and I didn't want that.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I must admit that I'm curious about this one, then. I don't mind retellings, if they're done with an attitude of respect for the traditional tale, not attempting to simply plagiarize a specific author or rendering, and have their own take on it; but a simple retelling of an old story in modern dress, without alterations to make it more relevant to a modern age and modern concerns where it fails to be so, or some other reason for retelling an old tale, would be a waste of time, to me.... That, too, I have trouble seeing Silverberg doing, considering his body of work; but I suppose it's possible. I find it more likely (at this stage, not having read the tale) that it would be meant to complement, to be an example of how older legends or tales from originally oral traditions, dating so far back, tend to resurface under new dress, adapted to a new time, because of their emotional, mythic resonance....

That, too, I have trouble seeing Silverberg doing, considering his body of work; but I suppose it's possible. I find it more likely (at this stage, not having read the tale) that it would be meant to complement, to be an example of how older legends or tales from originally oral traditions, dating so far back, tend to resurface under new dress, adapted to a new time, because of their emotional, mythic resonance....

I don't know; does Silverberg still have the chops? :) But the story template... Ted Chiang uses the story-within-a-story in The Merchant & the Alchemist's Gate, and that too riffs on 1001 Nights. But Silverberg's story is a straight lift of the framing device from Scheherazade. And the story the woman tells to delay her death each night, could never last an entire night in the telling.

Having said all that, the Kage Baker story was more annoying - the bad British characters, the fact that it didn't fit the anthology's theme...

Hi, new poster here - have been reading these forums for a while, thought I'd finally post :)

I'm currently reading John Varley's Gaea trilogy, half way through Demon (the third book). Had the recommendation from someone else on these forums some time ago actually. Its quite good (although i'm quite harsh in scoring just in case something comes along that screws up my scale!) - very sexual, not really sci-fi at all. Varley sometimes spends too time detailing the technical aspects of Gaea (which I skim over as it doesnt really add to the plot) but its a decent read and im glad I picked it up.

Next in the line is either a Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson or The Space Wolf Omnibus (I like reading Warhammer novels as light reading) to intersperse more challenging novels. or maybe another Dream Songs short story. or... (you get the idea!)

Ok, so I'm in a hard do please mood, so I went from At the Mountains of Madness to Bullfinch's Mythology, and now I'm reading Philip K. Dick's Our Friends From Frolix 8. Old PKD is one of those writers who never fail to please me. Amazing skills.

James Triptree Jr.: The double life of Alice Sheldon.

It's quite good and deserves all the nominations it has received.

On to my ARC of Reap the Wild Wind by Julie Czerneda

Next in the line is either a Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson or The Space Wolf Omnibus (I like reading Warhammer novels as light reading) to intersperse more challenging novels. or maybe another Dream Songs short story. or... (you get the idea!)
Hi Lor Soth, welcome and go for Stephenson, amazing writer.

I've had to put recreational reading on hold once again as university looms and I've got a long reading list. So, instead of leaving it until term starts, and would mean I'd only have a week per book to read through them thoroughly, I've decided to make a start now. Especially as one of the books on the list is this beast (which is what I've started reading):
Ulysses - James Joyce.

Just finished The Demolished Man. It was alright, though I can't really say that it thrilled me very much. Anyhow, next up is Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke.

I've had to put recreational reading on hold once again as university looms and I've got a long reading list. So, instead of leaving it until term starts, and would mean I'd only have a week per book to read through them thoroughly, I've decided to make a start now. Especially as one of the books on the list is this beast (which is what I've started reading):
Ulysses - James Joyce.

Well... don't let them spoil the book for you; it really is an enjoyable thing if you simply approach it without all the pre-set expectations.....

Pre-set expectations? Am I supposed to be having some of them at the moment, then? :D

I've certainly heard of this book before, of course, but I haven't really heard about it, so I haven't any expectations, particularly. But I thought I'd better start it now because the only way I'd get it read in a week if I left it until term time is if I didn't sleep or eat for the entire week :D

Finished Harlan Ellison's Strange Wine in pretty much one sitting (break for dinner on mom's insistence). Was an amazing book and he's very, very good.

Also finished the Miraculous Journey of Edward Tullane by Kate DiCamillo. It's like The Velveteen Rabbit only different. The sort of book you need Kleenex to get through. A good read.

Am now reading Aunt Julie and The Scriptwriter by
[SIZE=-1]Mario Vargas Llosa along with Brian Lumley's The Whisperer & Other Voices.[/SIZE]

Just finished The Demolished Man. It was alright, though I can't really say that it thrilled me very much.

Same here. Wasn't too impressed by it, unlike many others.

I started reading a dozen books this week just to stop midway through. I started At The Mountains Of Madness, stopped, started Bullfinch's Mythology, stopped, then Calvino's Il Visconte Dimezzato, stopped that one too, then started Philip K. Dick's Our Friends From Frolix 8 then stopped. To top it off, I woke up in a sour mood today, and started reading Kafka's In Der Strasskolonie. Later, I was dragged to a book shop, and brought home a minor haul. I suppose I'll have to read those new ones now before I finish the other ones.

Ulysses - James Joyce.

Oh, I love that book. Probably my favourite book ever. So many truly unforgettable lines there. "Ineluctable modality of the visible: at least that if no more, thought through my eyes. Signatures of all things I am here to read, seaspawn and seawrack, the nearing tide, that rusty boot. Snotgreen, bluesilver, rust: coloured signs. Limits of the diaphane."

Joyce knew his damn way around words. Poetry in prose, rhythm, genius, it was all there. He was the greatest stylist ever in the English language bar none, except for only maybe the Bard himself. But then you've probably heard all that before.

I have started reading The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury.

It has some great short stories. The Veldt,The Other Foot are one of the best short stories i have read so far in SF. The ending in The Veldt was so.....interesting ;)

After finishing the Sundered series yesterday, which I enjoyed immensely, I needed something different. Picked up book 1 of King's Dark Tower and found myself in the middle of book 2 by bedtime. I guess I'm enjoying this series too :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.