What we're reading in August...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just finished reading chapters 1 and 2 of Wielder of the Stones, which I found on the internet. The young 22 year old author has made a good start with his novel. The prologue was, in my opinion, well written. Not too many details but enough to give a really good idea of the background to this story. There is magic, oppression and anticipation in his writing as well.

From August 20th, bit by bit, he will post a second fantasy story called Darkness and Destiny.

His debut novel, Jamie Roberts and the Puzzle of Darkness, is coming out on Monday 17th of September 2007.

Wielder of the Stones Fantasy Novels
There is also an interview with Michael at this web site.

I picked up Cormac McCarthy's The Road last night - pretty good so far

I picked up Cormac McCarthy's The Road last night - pretty good so far

Is that the post-apocalyptic themed number, or have I got the wrong book entirely?

Last night I finished Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. I thought it started really strongly, but I lost interest through the middle, and finally just read thorugh to the end to have it over with. Though the end was satisfying. A real mixed bag of a novel.

Today I started Paint Your Dragon by Tom Holt. I've never read Holt before, and I'm not sure he's for me. So I've now started The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko. We'll see how things pan out.

Finished Moondust by Andrew Smith. Recommended. Next up is Prador Moon by Neal Asher.

Well, having finished Uncle Silas (a much quieter novel than I'd expected, more subtle and understated in the way it developed certain themes -- not always in incident), I've now moved on to The Wyvern Mystery (another LeFanu....) Am also reading some of Emanuel Swedenborg's writings in conjunction with LeFanu, as they frequently inspired a lot of his work....

I finished Moacyr Scliar's Max and the Cats last night, and started Kafka's In The Penal Colony today.

After a week and a half I've finally finished the exceptionally long, 230-page Superstate by Brian Aldiss. And I have to say, it is one of the strangest books I've ever read. It's not a strange story, but rather Aldiss has written it strangely.

Anyway, now I finally get to venture into the world of Stephen King. With four days before its due back, I'm going to start the comparatively short The Stand.

Yeah! Stephen King rocks! I hope you enjoy The Stand, it's a big beast and perhaps as unusual place to start for King (I think The Shining or Salem's Lot is the usual choice :D) If you don't enjoy it, I demand that you try another of his books!

Unusual? Why?

I quite enjoy "beasts" - one gets so used to your avergae 5oo/600 page fantasy book that something like 1400 pages seems a lot more attractive. Amirite, or am I right? :p

No, not particularly :p King's great at storytelling, but even he has trouble sustaining a high level throughout a book like that. Four hundred pages were dropped from the first edition of the book and later put back in in the uncut version (which I assume is the one you have!) And because it's so long, it takes quite a while for King to build up to the action (this is what he usually does in his books, but with The Stand, it really does take its time :D)

Anyway, I would like to know what you think of it, and King's style in general, so if you'd like to send me a PM or something when (if :p) you finish it!

Geez, tell me about it. I have a few 1000-plus pages beasts waiting for me to work up my nerve, and dig into them. I'm all too happy lately to stay with the old 200-page science fiction standard length. Good days.

About King, I'd venture to say that the best introduction to him would be through his short stories. I rather prefer them to his novels.

I have to say, The Stand is one of my favorite King books. Really liked it.

I am now reading The Mirador by Sarah Monette. It's the third in the gritty series/trilogy about the brothers Felix (wizard) and Mildmay (thief) and is engrossing as the first two books

Tell me about it. I have a few 1000-plus pages beasts waiting for me to work up my nerve, and dig into them. I'm all too happy lately to stay with the old 200-page science fiction standard length. Good days.

It all depends. If the 1000-plus pages have something to say that interests me, then the length doesn't bother me. However, if it is just filler then :p

Aye, it's the full version I've got, Hoops. Taking a while to build up action doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm quite happy to sit and read through hundreds of pages of very little action.

---

Tell me about it. I have a few 1000-plus pages beasts waiting for me to work up my nerve, and dig into them. I'm all too happy lately to stay with the old 200-page science fiction standard length. Good days.

You're devolving! :eek:! Next it'll be the picture books again! :rolleyes: :p

Yeah, books do seem to be getting larger! But as Murphy says, if the book grabs me, then the pages fly by. The Dark Tower (volume seven) is about 700 pages long and they practically flew by, but then there are other books that just never seem to end :D

I am now reading The Mirador by Sarah Monette. It's the third in the gritty series/trilogy about the brothers Felix (wizard) and Mildmay (thief) and is engrossing as the first two books
Ooh! Glad to hear. I've just picked up The Virtu. I plan on rereading Melusine first.

It all depends. If the 1000-plus pages have something to say that interests me, then the length doesn't bother me. However, if it is just filler then :p

There's nothing you can say in 1000 pages that you can't say in 500. Unless you're Tolstoy.:p
But then, even the old Count could have done with a little editing. Just a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.