Who's reading what? September's selection...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to get the Postman. (I must admit that i did quite enjoy the movie.)

Still going through The Invisible Eye (as usual, very little time this week, and I've been writing a fair amount, too, which makes it even less); I'm only about three stories in at this point, but I must say I'm relishing the experience. I find that the title piece improves upon rereading (as did The Man-Wolf, though both were very enjoyable to begin with), but "The White and the Black" is very nice indeed -- both chilling, weirdly funny and grotesque, and poignant. A little of Hoffmann, a little of the realists, a little of the Romantics, and a dash of the Schauerromantik, plus a few things very much their own....

I'll have to get the Postman. (I must admit that i did quite enjoy the movie.)

As to be expected the book is better than the movie. Though the novel has far less action than the movie. A few elements that did pass over were the Holnists and the Postman aspects (of course).

The book was really about the quagmire over his postman role and the "Restored United States". The Holnist aspect really takes a secondary role for most of the book as a nasty gang of survivalist cut-throats that are hellbent on just conquering the weak.

The underlying meaning of the book was symbolism, hope and David Brin's obvious dislike for survivalists.

@ Roders : Yeah, I realy enjoyed the movie two, its one of my 3 most favourite movies of all time, the other two being Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption, all over 3 hours . And one time the last two ran simultaneously on two tv channels, that's realy a problem- though I did end up watching the end of Shawshank cause it ended later, and it doesn't leave you with such a disturbing end as Mile does .

I just need to see if you can post .

edit :

Finished the O'Byrne book .

Must be working. YAY. Im typing this on my new blackjack phone :) I have nearly finished The Hero of Downways by Michael Coney. for a relatively unknown pulp novel it has been really good.

I'm re-reading The Last of the Renshai by Mickey Zucker Reichert.

I didn't enjoy it at all the first time I read it but perhaps it will be better second time around.

Flow My Tears the Policeman Said by P.K. Dick as with Ringworld which I just finished it's nice to pick up a book and get straight into it from the first page.

I'm re-reading The Last of the Renshai by Mickey Zucker Reichert.

I didn't enjoy it at all the first time I read it but perhaps it will be better second time around.
Reichert's Renshai series is one of my favourites actually....:)

After a gap of 10 years she's just put out Flight of the Renshai, which immediately follows Children Of Thunder, pulbished back in 1998.

I'll be getting that one soon.

IMO HIGHLY underrated writer of fantasy, maybe not in the class of a Kearney but not that far behind.

The books do improve Rosemary as you follow the series.

I'm reading two books at the moment which i only do for a book and short story collection and they are :

The Odessa File by Frederick Forsyth another quality documentary thriller.

The Halfling and Other Stories by Leigh Brackett

I started reading the Maurice Level colection . I already read "In the light of the red lamp" a while back and yesterday have finished "The *******" .

Also I will soon finish the balantine selections from the Keir Cross colection .

Finished The Way of the Shadows by Brent Weeks and have moved on to Shadows Edge. I have really gotten into these books and dont want to put them down...Good thing i bought all three

Finally managed to get through the Terry Brooks The Sword of Shannara - I knew it would be a clone, but this much ... :( I think this will be last Brooks for me.
In the mean time, read Katharine Kerr Polar City Blues - the blurb was a bit better then the book content. Too much touchy-feely emotional stuff - I was expecting more SF and police investigation. Well it was written by female author ( OK, I guess, now it's good time to duck and hide ) I also have the econd book about the Polar city, but it has to wait for a while.
Also halfway through Charles Stross Iron Sunrise - now thats the way SF with a mystery should be written :D

Finally managed to get through the Terry Brooks The Sword of Shannara - I knew it would be a clone, but this much ... :( I think this will be last Brooks for me.
Actually try his Word and Void trilogy. That IMO is his best work and not bad.

I don't think you'll get much joy out of reading the entire Shanarra series although I did because I'm an obsessive completist come masochist... ;)

Mind you I read them when they first came out at an early age, now I know better w.r.t. other series although I still keep a hand in for Shanarra.

Actually try his Word and Void trilogy. That IMO is his best work and not bad.

Thanks for the suggestion - from the description it's urban fantasy - so I'll keep that in mind, but it will take some time before I'll get to it (if ever)

I don't think you'll get much joy out of reading the entire Shanarra series although I did because I'm an obsessive completist come masochist... ;)

Mind you I read them when they first came out at an early age, now I know better w.r.t. other series although I still keep a hand in for Shanarra.
I have the same situation with some authors, they aren't the best in the world, but I still like them as they were the first ones.

Reichert's Renshai series is one of my favourites actually....:)

After a gap of 10 years she's just put out Flight of the Renshai, which immediately follows Children Of Thunder, pulbished back in 1998.

I'll be getting that one soon.

IMO HIGHLY underrated writer of fantasy, maybe not in the class of a Kearney but not that far behind.

The books do improve Rosemary as you follow the series.

I'm up to page 276 and am certainly enjoying it more. I think after reading books like The Malazan Series it doesn't seem quite so brutal as when I first read it! Back then, if you remember, I wasn't keen on books with lots of blood and gore!!

The Dramatist by Ken Bruen.

Another great thing about Irish Noir i have found is that its funny when the characters talk about the latest World Cub, European league football,hurling. I didnt knew Hurling existed before this series.

Much more understandable and to my taste than Americans in Noir talking about alien sports like Baseball,fake Football aka NFL.

Last edited:
I just finished "The Eyes of the Dragon" by Stephen King. I'd avoided it because it's a YA book. It was worth a read though, some useful insight into the weak nature of evil. Good for a child who enjoys some shudder with his/her literature (see also The Thief of Always).

Status
Not open for further replies.