Who's reading what? September's selection...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished Nick Cave's The Death of Bunny Munro, which is as excellent as I expected it to be. Now starting Iain Banks' Transition, and sincerely hoping the story is better than the cover, which is hideous.

Now reading John M. Ford's The Last Hot Time. The only problems I have with Ford is that:

1. He didn't write more books.
2. The books he did write weren't long enough, I always want more.

That's exactly the thing. I don't mind long, rambling descriptive passages if the prose is so pleasurable to read. Otherwise my brain just switches off and I can't wait to get past them. Personally I find Eddison far more pleasurable to read than Tolkien.

I can see that. Tolkien's prose was often more "workmanlike" in approach (though really quite variable, beyond the changing to older idioms later in LotR), whereas Eddison's chosen form of prose is elaborate, sometimes convoluted, and richly poetic. It certainly adds to the effect of being in a different realm, but it's a difficult thing to pull off successfully. Fortunately, Eddison had the knack, and as a result the book is a sheer joy to someone who enjoys richness of language.

By the way... are you planning on moving on to the ther three books? I would highly recommend them, though the structure and story becomes more complex (and a bit abstruse, at times). And yes, I do include (and recommend) the unfinished The Mezentian Gate, as there is enough finished there (including the conclusion) to make it stand up well with the others.

As for myself: I have now finished The Man-Wolf and Other Tales, and am moving on to one final Erckmann-Chatrian collection, The Invisible Eye, edited by Hugh Lamb. While also containing the stories from the Hawthorne anthology (as well as one more from The Man-Wolf and Other Tales), these are, I understand, newer translations; in addition to which there are several other stories I've not yet read by them. After that -- most likely, at any rate -- I should be moving on to Maurice Level's Tales of Mystery and Horror. (Level, for those interested, was one of the shining lights -- if that's the proper phrase, considering -- of the Grand Guignol.)

Not all the stories in The Man-Wolf were supernatural or even weird, though all were rather well-done. But those that were, are certainly memorable, and "The Queen of the Bees" (not, by the way, listed on the Contents page) is an especially notable one, being more of a wonder tale with a strong element of pathos, though by no means lacking in eerieness and a genuine frisson of terror, in its own odd way. It is the story of a young blind girl with a strange affinity for the bees kept by her father, which enables her to see through their eyes, as well as feel their emotions....

I wish to read the Level to, though I am unsure where to download it .

The Damsel by Donald E. Westlake writing as Richard Stark like the pointless cover tag says.

Pyan: Have you read Eddison's Zimiamvia trilogy? I may have seen comments on it from you before, but if so my memory is failing me again....

Yes, but at the same time that I read TWO - I've still got Mistress of Mistresses, A Fish Dinner in Memison and The Mezentian Gate, and will probably continue with them after I've finished the Worm...

Nothing so far this month - apparently I need reading glasses (longsighted) although PC work is fine.

I have finished the first novella of Cities in Flight and is reasonably enjoyable. Kinda reminiscent of Asimov Foundation or Robots stories, but a little less engaging. Anyhoo, I am putting it aside while I read Transition by Iain Banks. (not published under M here, sigh).

Anyhoo, I am putting it aside while I read Transition by Iain Banks. (not published under M here, sigh).
Same over here, just plain ol' Iain Banks. I think it's just in the US that they're putting it out as Iain M.

I finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It was a fantastic book, great story, characters were odd and interesting, good twists and just a bizzare feeling to it which left me a little creeped out but wanting more.

I have moved on to The Way of the Shadows by Brent Weeks. I have bought the whole series already so hopefully I like it.

J.D. I know about that for a loooong time I just meant the whole book in one document, but oh well . I have all of these anyway .

Thanks anyway .

HAve now finished The Year of Living Biblically - something completely different and quite interesting and very funny in places and following it with something more fantasy orientated, okay very fantasy - The Children of Hurin by J R R Tolkien at last!

Finished "Bring the Jubilee" by Ward Moore now back, again, to "Dreams of the Witch house and other stories" by H. P. Lovecraft.

The Magdalen Martyrs by Ken Bruen.

Jack Taylor Noir series book 3 and maybe its an Irish thing but this series keeps getting more bleak,depressing,tragic and at the same it has a delicious dark humour that makes me laugh at times.

Thats too weird sometimes i want to put down the book and rest from the depressing Jack Taylor and then he makes me laugh.

I'm not sure though if i can take two books of this series in a row right now ;)

Finished The Postman by David Brin. Absolutely loved it and was so different to the movie (should've known Kevin Costner would turn it into a farce).

Just started The Hero of Downways by Michael G Coney. Yet another Post Apocalyptic novel. Though this verges on fantasy as the people live underground in tunnels bored out by giant mutant Moles. So far I'm really enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.