Who's reading what? September's selection...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished "Waystation" by Clifford D Simak and was quite impressed. A lot of interesting themes and ideas explored.

Now onto "The Chrysalids" by John Wyndham.

Going through a few so far,
Stalin the court of the red tsar by Simon Sebag Montefiore
A Clash of Kings by GRRM
Voltaire's Bastards by John Ralston Saul

They should get me through a few train trips then I'll have to find something else I'll probably move onto ASOS then AFFOC again.

Yes, seriously. I didn't even know it was a book, but thought that it was only an expression. We have that expression in Danish too.

If it's originally written in German, I might as well go for the Danish translation as I don't expect that anything is lost compared to the English translation.
Danish translation would be OK I'm sure.

I have it in English but German is my second language, so I could try and read it in its original form if I really wanted to.

Best of luck.

Finished "Waystation" by Clifford D Simak and was quite impressed. A lot of interesting themes and ideas explored.

Now onto "The Chrysalids" by John Wyndham.
Yeh! Chrysalids was good.

Check out City by Simak. It was recommended to me by folks here and it is fabulous if you haven't yet read it!

Cheers....

EDIT: I've got a copy of Platinum Pohl. Read bits and pieces of it so far and it seems to stack up very well!

Check out City by Simak. It was recommended to me by folks here and it is fabulous if you haven't yet read it!

Cheers....
"City" is already on my list but thanks! :)

Book Three of The Runelords - Wizard Born by David Farland. A really good series so far! :)

Just started Battle Royale. It looks like there's a great chance i could finally be getting back into the reading. Yay!!!

Cheers....

EDIT: I've got a copy of Platinum Pohl. Read bits and pieces of it so far and it seems to stack up very well!

Isn't City a collection of similar stories, or is it a Fix-up?

I dislike reading Hardcovers but sometimes i must like my new copy of :
The Jack Vance Treasury

On the first story that is the classic,rather pleasantly long novella The Dragon Masters.
A story that has nothing to do with what the title makes you think.

I dislike reading Hardcovers but sometimes i must like my new copy of :
The Jack Vance Treasury

On the first story that is the classic,rather pleasantly long novella The Dragon Masters.
A story that has nothing to do with what the title makes you think.
Have a copy of that in HB. Worth reading for sure.

Have a copy of that in HB. Worth reading for sure.

I got it as second hand but its in brand new condition since its an unread copy. It has 13 stories 5 of them are Dying Earth which i already have.
But the 8 stories are sure worth getting the collection for.

The Dragon Masters,The Last Castle,The Miracle Workers,Moon Moth etc

Stories my fellow Vance fans say are among his best. Im tingling with excitment to read those stories :)

I also enjoyed reading the glowing,emotional introduction by GRRM. His last words in the introduction saying Vance is a Treasure,that we will not see his like again for long time was very well put.

Been reading A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh recently. It's been a while since I last read it. I forgot just how...ouch...it is. There's not a likable character among them all.

Agent to the Stars - John Scalzi

One of the funnier sci-fi books I've read.

Just started Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan - anyone out there able to give me their review?

I got it as second hand but its in brand new condition since its an unread copy. It has 13 stories 5 of them are Dying Earth which i already have.
But the 8 stories are sure worth getting the collection for.

The Dragon Masters,The Last Castle,The Miracle Workers,Moon Moth etc

Stories my fellow Vance fans say are among his best. Im tingling with excitment to read those stories :)

I also enjoyed reading the glowing,emotional introduction by GRRM. His last words in the introduction saying Vance is a Treasure,that we will not see his like again for long time was very well put.

Hmm. I think I want to get my hands on that book. I'd very much like to read Dying Earth especially. I don't think I ever actually read anything in the subgenre of science fantasy, even though I want write in it, and I've been intrigued ever since I read the Wikipedia entry. Thanks for mentioning this, Connavar!

Hmm. I think I want to get my hands on that book. I'd very much like to read Dying Earth especially. I don't think I ever actually read anything in the subgenre of science fantasy, even though I want write in it, and I've been intrigued ever since I read the Wikipedia entry. Thanks for mentioning this, Connavar!

If you like Science Fantasy browse http://paizo.com/planetStories for books.

There are Science fantasy classics works by highly rated authors like C.L Moore,Leigh Brackett,Robert.E Howard,Otis Adelbert Kline,Michael Moorcock,Henry Kuttner.

Those quality trade paperbacks i get when i want stories like this.

Re: June's here! What are you reading?

I am reading Across the face of the world by russell kirkpatrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.