Who's reading what? September's selection...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The usual commission will be fine....:D

I'll pay by forgiving you for recommending a book to me, which cause me to travel several train stations too far the other day.

They should have catapult-seats in the train, ejecting you when you get to the trainstation you need to be at.

Re: June's here! What are you reading?

I am reading Across the face of the world by russell kirkpatrick.
I've read that series. Isn't too bad and the maps etc...are fun considering Russell is a cartographer by trade.

Little bit of a Tolkien clone for me but I have read worst debuts.

Hmm. I think I want to get my hands on that book. I'd very much like to read Dying Earth especially. I don't think I ever actually read anything in the subgenre of science fantasy, even though I want write in it, and I've been intrigued ever since I read the Wikipedia entry. Thanks for mentioning this, Connavar!
Yep, Vance's Dying Earth is good stuff indeed. Possibly the best example of this sub-genre is Gene Wolfe's superb Book of the New Sun quartet.

Cheers.... :)

Just finished Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews - it was OK in an urban fantasy by the numbers kind of way.

Finally starting Salt by Adam Roberts after its sat on the TBR pile for years and years...

Finished THE BRAIN-STEALERS by Murray Leinster. Exciting, kooky first contact story from the late forties, the kind that both gives sf a bad name and makes it so popular and endearing to its fans. BEMs are appropriately ruthless and upon reflection well drawn, but can't survive the typewriter of this long time pro. Pick another planet to dominate, creeps! Nice to see Leinster can get down-and-dirty mean when he wants to.

Just started Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan - anyone out there able to give me their review?

I thoroughly enjoyed it, Ella! I thought the story line was good and she has some wonderful characters in it.

Her next two in the series are just as good and they will all be re-read at some stage.

Started Ravenheart by David Gemmell. Excellent so far, but I expected no less.

I've now finished reading American Gods and I enjoyed it a lot. Well - I don't often stay up past midnight to finish a book, but I couldn't put it down.

I like Shadow as a character because he's fairly simple and no-nonsense when everything else around him is chaos. At first I disliked his wife, but I eventually grew a respect for her and found that she had something worthwhile too. There's lot in the book about people, their gods, what really matters to people and what "worship" and "sacrifice" actually means - plus there was some plot-twists I didn't see coming at all. I think I'll reread it later as there's probably a lot I have missed.

Now I'm off to bed and I'll decide on what to read next when I wake up.

Finished my reread of Kate Elliott's Spirit Gate and am now working on Shadow Gate. I find that I enjoyed the books more than ever and am almost ready to start Traitor's Gate.

At work I'm reading The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds. Taking a while for me to get into it but that may be because I'm busy and only get to read it infrequently. Set in his familiar Revelation Space universe in the Glitter Band.

At home I'm reading Blood Debt by Sean Williams. His first book in the series, Crooked Letter was a great read. It's a take on post-apocalyptic modern fantasy where a world that seems to come from the imagination of Guillermo de Toro meets with ours. The second book throws you for a loop though as it seems to have almost nothing in common with the first. Still, the atypical fantasy world makes for interesting reading.

Just finished John Wyndham's "Chrysalids" and now on to Brian Aldiss' "Greybeard".

Winters Heart (WoT book 9)

I'm hoping that by the time I get to read 10 & 11 the next book will be released :p

I'm about 1/4 of the way into this - Rand is a randy (no pun intended) stoat :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.