One Hit Wonders (SFF Authors that are noted for just one story)

I think we are taking the idea of 'hit' and/or being 'noted' quite loosely.

Like we'd be saying Howie Mandel is a noted movie star or "Earnest Goes to Camp" is a hit movie.

Level 7 by Mordecai Roshwald
Z For Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien (released after his death)
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (he has written a pile of novels, this is the one everyone remembers)

Taking a stab now. But what about Oscar Wilde with "Picture of Dorian Gray", Bram Stoker with "Dracula" and Mary Shelley with "Frankenstein". I know these are more along the lines of gothic horror, but in all cases they are pretty much the only novels they are notable for.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (he has written a pile of novels, this is the one everyone remembers)

Taking a stab now. But what about Oscar Wilde with "Picture of Dorian Gray", Bram Stoker with "Dracula" and Mary Shelley with "Frankenstein". I know these are more along the lines of gothic horror, but in all cases they are pretty much the only novels they are notable for.

Good selection. Z FOR ZACHARIAH was a good book. Didn't mention the Roshwald because of his A SMALL ARMAGEDDON.

Went back through this thread and didn't see ON THE BEACH by Nevil Shute or ALAS BABYLON by Pat Frank. Had to read them in high school but still enjoyed them.

Not true for Burgess. He wrote two sf novels - A Clockwork Orange and Wanting Seed - but he's well known for his mainstream novels. His Earthly Powers is considered one of the great British postwar novels.

Not true for Burgess. He wrote two sf novels - A Clockwork Orange and Wanting Seed - but he's well known for his mainstream novels. His Earthly Powers is considered one of the great British postwar novels.

I knew he'd written quite extensively. Though he has unluckily been pigeon holed by the majority with A Clockwork Orange.