Cover vs Query letters

I read that you should aim for three sentences -- but I must say I've never read a successful query that short.

I've read an absolute stunner (that got repped and sold) that was, I think, six sentences. But that's an exception, not the rule.

It is a bit of a 'mare to get your noggin around at first.

Simple version?

Hello superdooper agent

I would like you to sell my 3,000,000 word fantasy book, The Bumper Book of Awesome, for a million pounds. (Optional extra - say why you are querying this particular agent - because they rep Super Dooper Awesome Author whose work is similar to yours etc)

Couple of paras (approx 200 ish words normally) about Why Your Book is Awesome. Make it enticing, really show the characters and world, and what's at stake for them. Specifics will sell your story so try to be specific and not generic (An evil power comes to the land - generic. A Super Turnip of Doom threatens to explode is he is not given 365 fresh virgins is specific) Don't forget to tell the agent what actually happens in the book, or at least most of it (you'd be surprised how many people forget that bit....). I tend to go up to the Black Moment before the climax, and the Choice of Doom. Remember you know your book - the agent does not, and cannot guess.

A paragraph about where your book fits in the market (An erotic turnip fantasy with twist, this should appeal to readers of X, Y and Z - being books similar to yours), and whether it is a stand alone or has series potential (or both) Any writing credits.If you have relevant experience in book's subject (you are writing about brain surgery and you are a brain surgeon)

Cheers matey, let me know when I get the cheque.

Okay, kinda like that :D

Simple in theory

Hellishly hard in practice - it's the 'enticing synop' that gets me every time. But it gets easier with practice. Go and look at places where people show their queries for feedback. Read them, a LOT of them. Learn to pity agents. ;) Would you want to buy the book? Why? Why not? Apply to your own query. It's a skill like writing a book, and you need to study as you would study writing a book.

Lol yeah that's a query.

Thing is if you read lots of examples, you will start to get the feel for what doesn't work (I've read hundreds). You'll see the mistakes that happen a lot (such as being generic, or not telling agent what actually happens), and so can avoid them.

A good query is a lot of work. But it's worth it.

Cover letters are much easier Dear Mr Man, here's my book. It has turnips in it. kkthxbai. (but mostly for UK agents and there aren't so many that rep SFF! The link you gave is a pretty good summation) Still, the query proper is really good practice for the proposal/pitch. Learning to condense will hone your writing, and can also help show up any problems with the book (I know several writers who write the query before they start the book, for just this reason)

PS: That really short query I mentioned? Sorry, it was 7 sentences. But it got a hell yes.

Hmm... that's interesting (for a moment I thought seven words and was gonna be really impressed!!)... I can do rhythm. I think. I think my trouble is that I'm trying to write something that doesn't sound like me.

I think my trouble is that I'm trying to write something that doesn't sound like me.

Could well be.

Have you tried writing it as though you're trying to get a friend to see a film? Or a pitch/query style synopses for films you like? That's great practice - you aren't so tied to the story which helps you pick out what needs to go in there and what can be cut.

PS: That really short query I mentioned? Sorry, it was 7 sentences. But it got a hell yes.

You would be mad not to hell yes that query. It is the ultimate hook. Which does bring around another point, there are people who do break the formatting rules for query letters yet somehow still get acceptance replies - I guess they are just that good.

It's risky - but it can be done. THing is, really all the rules state is 'Make the agent want to read your book RIGHT NOW THIS MINUTE!!'

The other guidelines merely help you to do that.