You Wake Up and Find Yourself back In The 11th Century

Lovely conversation.
A couple of thoughts.
There were substantial migrations of peoples who did not speak or recognize Latin or English. . Increasingly modern archeology using newly developed DNA techniques show that there large population movements from Scandinavia beyond the well known Viking raids and transitory settlements. Latin or English did - literally - not speak to these peoples.
In England alone you also have have Anglo-Saxon,, Welsh, Norman French, and Cornish.

Magyar, Moorish, Turkic and Mongol movements and settlements .all occurred shortly thereafter elsewhere in Europe.
adding to the pre-existing languages.

So where a traveler lands speaks to what you have to know.

Another thought . European invaders of the Americas wiped out the large majority of the indigenous people It is often forgotten that the main weapon of destruction was the Flu - with smallpox and other diseases also having an effect. Physical violence not needed'
People in the Americas had no resistance, Diseases mutate and spread . A traveler would probably be infectious with modern varieties never experienced wherever (s)he landed. Even in medieval times travelers were often shunned because they exposed people who generally did not travel far from their birthplace to exotic infection. This speaks to how any stranger might be received - for good reason.

Last edited:
I could use my knowledge of the future to share information with the locals-like telling them about better farming methods or other useful things. But I think I’d only last a couple of months, at most.

I could use my knowledge of the future to share information with the locals-like telling them about better farming methods or other useful things. But I think I’d only last a couple of months, at most.

That would have a huge impact.

Last edited:
Here is a story of a pair of children that experienced exactly what we are talking about.
One of the interesting parts of the story is that even after a thorough investigation nobody was ever certain where they came from. Part of the discussion is that at that time there were countless communities of a few farmers each spread across England that had lived isolated for countless generations not worth the trouble for anyone before, during or since the Roman Occupation to attempt to tax and integrate into greater society.

Whether any of us would wish to claim to be from such a place is another topic of discussion.

The Green Children of Woolpit
The legend of the green children of Woolpit concerns two children of unusual skin colour who reportedly appeared in the village of Woolpit in Suffolk, England, sometime in the 12th century, perhaps during the reign of King Stephen (r. 1135–1154). The children, found to be brother and sister, were of generally normal appearance except for the green colour of their skin. They spoke in an unknown language and would eat only raw broad beans. Eventually, they learned to eat other food and lost their green colour, but the boy was sickly and died around the time of his and his sister's baptism. The girl adjusted to her new life, but she was considered to be "very wanton and impudent". After she learned to speak English, the girl explained that she and her brother had come from a land where the sun never shone, and the light was like twilight. According to one version of the story, she said that everything there was green; according to another, she said it was called Saint Martin's Land.

Here is a story of a pair of children that experienced exactly what we are talking about.
One of the interesting parts of the story is that even after a thorough investigation nobody was ever certain where they came from. Part of the discussion is that at that time there were countless communities of a few farmers each spread across England that had lived isolated for countless generations not worth the trouble for anyone before, during or since the Roman Occupation to attempt to tax and integrate into greater society.

Whether any of us would wish to claim to be from such a place is another topic of discussion.

The Green Children of Woolpit
The legend of the green children of Woolpit concerns two children of unusual skin colour who reportedly appeared in the village of Woolpit in Suffolk, England, sometime in the 12th century, perhaps during the reign of King Stephen (r. 1135–1154). The children, found to be brother and sister, were of generally normal appearance except for the green colour of their skin. They spoke in an unknown language and would eat only raw broad beans. Eventually, they learned to eat other food and lost their green colour, but the boy was sickly and died around the time of his and his sister's baptism. The girl adjusted to her new life, but she was considered to be "very wanton and impudent". After she learned to speak English, the girl explained that she and her brother had come from a land where the sun never shone, and the light was like twilight. According to one version of the story, she said that everything there was green; according to another, she said it was called Saint Martin's Land.

I thought that sounded familiar!
The Green Children of Woolpit: A Legend

>the main weapon of destruction was the Flu - with smallpox and other diseases also having an effect. Physical violence not needed

Works with Martians, too.

Back