Hopefully designed that darn book cover - opinions please

Advanced 'Review' Copy-- means it's been sent expecting a review and it's free::

They're trying to train their ARC readers to avoid phrasing such as "in exchange for," which has caused problems for some ARC reviewers.

::That means you need to say so.

I've not yet had a problem with that on amazon and I also will buy the book when it comes out if I like it enough to review and that makes me a qualified purchase reader. And since I read books more than once I usually manage to read the purchased copy so it goes into amazon's mill and becomes part of the statistics. It's not rocket science and maybe some day amazon will slap me for it; however since I have gone to great extent to make them legal while staying legal myself, I'm pretty sure its cutting of nose to spite the face time if they take any action against me for giving a fair review with a fair warning.

Aren't they owned by Amazon? It makes me not want to use them. I use LibraryThing to catalogue books.

They were bought by Amazon, originally independent.

Not tried LibraryThing. Is it just a catalogue? Or can you do reviews too?
Does it make reading recommendations to you based on your ratings and reviews?

::That means you need to say so.

Yup. That's what I was saying. I was agreeing with you. It's law that you have to note if you're receiving a product in order to give a review. The FTC even has a whole page that lays out what you can and cannot do online with regards to reviews and endorsements: The FTC’s Endorsement Guides: What People Are Asking

Here's the relevant section from the FTC link:

I’m a blogger. I heard that every time I mention a product on my blog, I have to say whether I got it for free or paid for it myself. Is that true?
No. If you mention a product you paid for yourself, there isn’t an issue. Nor is it an issue if you get the product for free because a store is giving out free samples to its customers.

The FTC is only concerned about endorsements that are made on behalf of a sponsoring advertiser. For example, an endorsement would be covered by the FTC Act if an advertiser – or someone working for an advertiser – pays you or gives you something of value to mention a product. If you receive free products or other perks with the expectation that you’ll promote or discuss the advertiser’s products in your blog, you’re covered. Bloggers who are part of network marketing programs where they sign up to receive free product samples in exchange for writing about them also are covered.​

And here is the actual line from the relevant law:

§255.5 Disclosure of material connections.
When there exists a connection between the endorser and the seller of the advertised product that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement (i.e., the connection is not reasonably expected by the audience), such connection must be fully disclosed.

Link: eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Giving the book itself would fall under the "free products or other perks" section of the quote above. A lot of indie authors have ARC teams. I even have a checkbox on my newsletter signup pages asking readers if they want to be a part of my ARC team. It's a common practice--and one that is perfectly legal. They're essentially part of a network of people who would receive the book first, before it's even available to the public, in order to solicit reviews. (I don't know about the laws in Canada, the UK and Europe, though. I would imagine their laws are similar.)

But I will admit, the link I posted above had me scratching my head too when I first found it. I'd always been told that a reviewer had to note when they received an ARC copy, and I was even in the process of writing that ARC readers were required to post that they'd received the book for free...until I read that section. I started to wonder if I had it wrong and the laws had somehow been relaxed, and I backtracked and deleted what I was writing. Obviously the laws haven't been diluted, and you're right, that link is posting faulty advice. So yeah, I was agreeing with you. ;)

They were bought by Amazon, originally independent.

Not tried LibraryThing. Is it just a catalogue? Or can you do reviews too?
Does it make reading recommendations to you based on your ratings and reviews?
Yep, you can rate and review, see stats about your books, see members with similar collections, and it makes recommendations - though 17 of my top 20 at the moment are by authors I've already read. There are channels to promote your own work, amongst other things. I haven't used GoodReads, so I'm not sure how they compare.

I think the rules are still slightly different when reviewing a 'product' as in a vacuum cleaner, loom bands, a propelling pencil etc, on the one hand, and books on the other. There is still a recognition that reviews are part of the normal book industry process. However, my understanding is that review swaps ARE frowned on, because they are open to abuse - I'll give yours a 5 star review if you do the same for me (often without even reading either book).

As this article - Amazon is cracking down on biased customer reviews - says "One exception to this new rule is the book category, as Amazon does not want to prohibit the industry standard of sending out advance review copies of new novels and non-fiction."

Or to go direct to the Amazon UK help pages - Amazon.co.uk Help: Community Guidelines - "Book authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their books to readers, as long as the author or publisher does not require a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review."

As this article - Amazon is cracking down on biased customer reviews - says "One exception to this new rule is the book category, as Amazon does not want to prohibit the industry standard of sending out advance review copies of new novels and non-fiction."

The thing is, Amazon is doing exactly what they said they don't want to do, but doing it a little bit sideways. They've recently introduced a system that allows Verified Purchase reviews to rise to the top and non-verified reviews to be all but suppressed unless a user clicks on a link that takes them to the full list of reviews.

If you look at the reviews of most books on Amazon, all of the ones listed as Top Reviews are Verified Purchase reviews. If there aren't enough verified purchase reviews, only then will the top-reviews list be populated with non-verified purchase reviews. Clicking on the link that takes you to all the reviews filters the list by verified reviews by default, and you have to click yet another link to see any non-verified reviews. This book has twenty reviews, but if you click on the link to view them all, only seven show up. That tells me the author probably had an extensive ARC list, and only seven reviews were obtained organically.

Most ARC reviewers receive their books through something like Instafreebie or an author sending the review copy out to their list. We were just discussing on another forum how to get verified purchase reviews for ARC reviews, and there doesn't seem to be a way to do so yet--unless you persuade your reviewers to actually purchase your book. But then it's not an ARC review, is it? Even gifting a book to reviewers from your Amazon account doesn't trigger a verified purchase tag on their review.

Furthermore, products and books with more verified reviews return higher in search lists. This would be why so many books, even those with large ARC responses, fall faster in sales than they used to.

Amazon might say they're still supporting the "industry standard" where books are concerned, but they're doing their best to make it really hard for that standard to remain viable.

That tells me the author probably had an extensive ARC list, and only seven reviews were obtained organically.

Perhaps in that case, given it's a relatively recent release, but not necessarily. Most of the reviews I've put up on Amazon have been organic, even though I didn't buy from them. They were bought from other shops, or were library books, etc. And many of the people who bought the paperback of mine got it by ordering through bookshops (some because they don't like Amazon).

Amazon is (or was) the obvious place to review something you felt strongly about, even if you didn't get it there. So I don't think non-verified purchases are necessarily "suspicious", as perhaps Amazon are trying to get us to believe.

Yeah, I'd noticed that verified nonsense recently.

Still, it's incredibly easy to make a huge amount of money writing, so I can appreciate Amazon's reasoning.

A friend who went through this at the same time I first did and has done rather well out of it (hint: I'm 'following' him) suggested things like an I'll scratch your back concept (you buy and review my book while I buy and review yours, but I'm not sure how to entice people to do that) and building a mailing list (not a clue where to start there).

Been misquoted here (I presume it's me your referring to as I steered you here). ARCs are acceptable - in fact are an industry standard. That is what I was referring to, along with the value of networking where opportunities / contacts / advice are gifted or traded. (eg agree to send a shout out on each other's newsletter and why I steered you to this forum).

Review swaps are not and the suggestion I've partaken is somewhat insulting.

Just to be clear to the forum - this is what I sent Dave.

The key is involving yourself in the community, be helpful with critiques, and people will return the favour. When opportunities come your way, share them, and people will share theirs with you. A good cover is now necessary. Just look at the SP charts, the top 100 are all better than those of TP.

And this (which is clearly out of date as Explorations is now the premier SF antho :) but it was sent before the first came out)

Networking is absolutely key. Trading promo opportunities and what not are the most important things. Forum and group penetration are excellent ways forward (but the benefits are mostly around the networking), combined with building a mailing list. Always good to raise profile with short stories. If you can get into the Future Chronicles, they are the premier, I had my first with them out yesterday. Cover investment is important. Editing across spectrum is vital (developmental all the way to proofing). SP work these days doesn't see any drop in quality.

Dave, please be careful what you suggest other people suggest.

Across more than a 1000 reviews over various marketplaces, I know of only one for sure where we've reviewed each other's work. (Which was coincidence - Rob Campbell).

This discussion was originally about whether a cover was good enough for publishing or not - if we're going to digress into review issues I think we should move into a new thread for that. :)

I apologise @ralphkern if I misinterpreted and misrepresented your advice, and assure you I will not make that mistake again.

Thanks all for the various bits of advice. I will take them onboard, and if I have further queries I'll start a new thread.

Back