May 2021 Reading Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this morning it's a re-read of another Heinlein
The moon is a harsh mistress
as for women some of his best opinions are in Stranger in a Strange land but i agree with the opinion about Friday and don't forget Podykayne of Mars.
Alistair Mac lean is a great writer and his books are normally quite good.
as for me the beggining after the end by turtleme was not as good as i hoped. time travelers never die by jack mcdevitt... is quite different of is normal style, more like a diary so not very into it. hoping to read the weber but so far haven't get it yet

Star Science Fiction Stories” edited by Frederik Pohl
I approached this read with due nerdy reverence, given that this is one of the legendary anthologies. Pohl's Star series was the first ever SF series to be devoted entirely to previously unpublished stories, and this one, the first of them, is itself among the very first anthologies of unpublished originals. As ever, Pohl was ahead of the game. Furthermore, Pohl, was perfectly positioned to ensure that he creamed off the best stories available from the best authors in the field: not only were half of the writers already clients of his literary agency, but he probably knew all the rest personally. To make things even easier, Ballantines had agreed to offer double the usual payment for all stories accepted. (I’m grateful to the much missed Bud Webster’s “Anthopology 101” for these details.)
Given the above, it’s hardly surprising that there are one or two classics among the stories: Arthur C. Clarke’s “The Nine Billion Names of God” and Ray Bradbury’s "A Scent of Sarsaparilla” certainly fit the term “classic”. The other authors read almost as a who's who of early 1950s SF:
Asimov, del Rey, Gold, Kornbluth, Kuttner/Moore, Leiber, Leinster, Merril, Sheckley, Morrison, Simak, Tenn, Wyndham. All these are very solid, above average 1950s stories, including a particular favourite of mine, Clifford D. Simak’s “Contraption”. All in all, one of the best of its era.

1621687278837.png

I didn't know this. It looks interesting. it comes out here June 1. Only in hard cover at first. Sigh!
In the Barnes and Nobel blurb of Governor it quotes this.....

A new novel in the world of In Fury Born, one of David Weber's most celebrated novels

So maybe more of a sequel?

I got a couple of books for my birthday so I'm now reading Creating a Forest Garden by Martin Crawford (even though I don't currently have a garden, which is HORRIFIC! I don't know how people cope without their own gardens, it's driving me potty), and Becoming the Supervet by Noel Fitzpatrick. I mostly read non-fiction nowadays.

In the Barnes and Nobel blurb of Governor it quotes this.....

A new novel in the world of In Fury Born, one of David Weber's most celebrated novels

So maybe more of a sequel?
yes in amazon also says it. honestly i'm just hpooing he continues the sequence in safehold. and a new honor would be great specially if it wasn't as depressing

I’m now reading The Man Who Counts (1958), by Poul Anderson. Im reading this in the original serial format from my issues of Astounding of that year (Feb-Apr ‘58), but it was subsequently published as a novel under the name War of the Wing-Men. To make things even more confusing, it was republished in the UK as The Earthbook of Stormgate 2, in the late 1970’s.

I’m not sure if this book (starring Van Rijn) takes place on the same world that featured in People of the Wind or not. Both books feature winged aliens, but in The Man Who Counts, the planet is called Diomedes not Avalon and the aliens are described slightly differently, but the planet sounds the same and Anderson may have changed aspects of the story in the later book. Does anyone know?

yes in amazon also says it. honestly i'm just hpooing he continues the sequence in safehold. and a new honor would be great specially if it wasn't as depressing
I think he's just got bored of those series. I noticed the new Governor series a few weeks back and I must admit when I first read In Fury Born, many years ago now, I would have welcomed a sequel and was a little surprised there wasn't one. However I'm not so sure it's going to be a sequel or just a new story in the same setting.

I think he's just got bored of those series. I noticed the new Governor series a few weeks back and I must admit when I first read In Fury Born, many years ago now, I would have welcomed a sequel and was a little surprised there wasn't one. However I'm not so sure it's going to be a sequel or just a new story in the same setting.
i know he wanted to kill honor when the mesa atttacked... or earth attacked... which would have been stupid. but he also said he wants to continue safehold and have them fight the gabalba

i know he wanted to kill honor when the mesa atttacked... or earth attacked... which would have been stupid. but he also said he wants to continue safehold and have them fight the gabalba
Yes, but he's not exactly moving Safehold forward in that direction very quickly and starting a new series is only going to make that even slower... and, let's face it, he's not getting any younger! I have now given up on both HH and Safehold - I won't be buying any more of them - and I'll wait and see the reviews on this new one. If he has returned to good solid action/space opera rather than simply writing another political drama set in the In Fury Born universe then I might be interested. But I'll take a bit of convincing.

yes in amazon also says it. honestly i'm just hoping he continues the sequence in safehold. and a new honor would be great specially if it wasn't as depressing
I really doubt that there will be any more Honor books, unless they would be "Honorverse." She's so senior now the only logical development would be as a Mentor or the Admiral in an alien war.
However I'm not so sure it's going to be a sequel or just a new story in the same setting.
I'm thinking along this way too. If it really were a sequel to "In Fury Born" I'd be picking it up for sure. .... So just got a really close look at the dust jacket and it says "A companion novel to In Fury Born." Sooo..... I'm thinking I'm stupid and I'm sure I'll regret lugging it around. I've preordered. Why can't there be an ebook!!!! I hate regular books. They are so bulky and hard to read.

I'm wondering if Weber is struggling to write something by himself. Unless something changes I think we've seen the last of Safehold. I've read my last of it, unless the next book does indeed bring a war with the Gabalba into play.

**** This was written days ago and somehow I didn't push the post button.

I've finished another pair of books by Laurence Dahners A Tower in Space-Time and Deep Space - Hidden Terror. Both of these are in the Stasis Stories series. He continues to be one of my favorite authors mostly because he writes optimistic SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.