May 2021 Reading Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again I'm back with Le Carre....Tinker tailor soldier spy.

I've read this umpteen times and I'm always impressed.

This version is from 1991 with an interesting intro by the author where he outlines the terminology he created - lamplighter, scalphunter, mole etc
yes his smiley books are some of the best i read. normally i don't like his style. nor of graham greene for instance.

Might try a re-read of FRANKENSTEIN by Mary Shelley. The middle of it was difficult reading.
I really liked Voltaire's MICROMEGAS SF short novel. And would recommend it.
Looking forward to reading some EERIE Magazines.

Might try a re-read of FRANKENSTEIN by Mary Shelley...Looking forward to reading some EERIE Magazines.

Reading this right now:
F25BC200-D376-4259-9ECC-11E9A083EB4B.jpeg

Couple of the stories have that Shelley vibe. Archie Goodwin is to Warren what Stan Lee is to Marvel, cranking out spine tinglers brought to vivid life (and death) by some of the best artists in the field: Reed Crandall, Joe Orlando, John Severin to name a few. The three Steve Ditko stories are mini-masterpieces.

Last edited:
I've been reading a whole heap of SF, so probably need a crime novel as a literary palate cleanser before I head back to the future. I think I'll start the next Ellis Peters' Cadfeal novel. I'm up to The Leper of Saint Giles, in my gradual read-through of the series. Which I understand is a cracker and 'supposed' to be one of the best in the series.

I don't know that I'd say it's the one of the best but I thoroughly enjoyed it -- I re-read it only last year along with many of the others. I wasn't overfond of the TV series, and this was certainly one of the better episodes, with Jonathan Hyde as Picard and John Bennett as Lazarus both excellent.

Gitslayer by Darius Hinks - the second full book of Gotrek and his adventures in the Mortal Realms! This one is full of, well, gits. More specifically green skinned, mushroom eating, spider worshipping, half insane greenskinned goblins!

It's general sword and sorcery action adventure.

Finished Desolation Road by Ian McDonald, which I enjoyed.
I really liked both Brasyl and River of Gods, which I read a few years ago.
I think this book was his debut novel and it is a little self-consciously mannered style-wise in places. The first section is very reminiscent of Marquez, as others have commented, and the ending reminds me somewhat of the film The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean.
Definitely worth a look.

It seems very similar
and zombies 2? from george romero... day of the dead 2? something like that... i mean why do they have to repeat the same formulae ad nauseum? i have seem plentyof good ideas out there

I'm having a go at The Loop by Jeremy Robert Johnson
Are you reading a different book every day, Danny? You're making me feel like a bit of a layabout...

Are you reading a different book every day, Danny? You're making me feel like a bit of a layabout...
I've a lot of time on my hands for the last fortnight or so. So I'm doing a lot of reading.

There's lots of DIY and decorating starting next week (the power of marital nagging) so this is me getting psyched up for it :)

and zombies 2? from george romero... day of the dead 2? something like that... i mean why do they have to repeat the same formulae ad nauseum? i have seem plentyof good ideas out there
It turns out it was a very poor book, it seemed ok at first but it got way too much YA as it progressed. Overpoweringly so.
DNF

So now I'm looking at a space opera Winter's Orbit by Everina Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.