Overrated Books

hedgeknight said:
And something even more interesting is that they are continuing to write book after book, series after series, and folks are still buying! (sound of hitting head against the wall) I just don't get it. :confused:
-g-
Well I guess it all comes down to a matter of personal taste really. Like you I'm not really a fan of those authors you mention although for me Jordan is the best of that particular bunch and the only one I've stuck with although sometimes I wonder why....

Actually Tolkien is obviously a major heavyweight, grandaddy of the modern genre whatever you wish to label him as and this is the book that inspired me to first write but these days I don't think he stacks up that well in terms of prose or actual writing ability or for that matter general plot either when compared to some of the modern writers like Wolfe, Mieville, Erikson, Martin, Calvino, M John Harrison et al.... The one thing probably he still stands apart in is the worldbuilding and maybe it's not fair to compare writers in different eras like this but just what I feel.

*GOLLUM runs to higher ground to avoid beating by HedgeKnight and other Tolkien fans.... :p *

GOLLUM said:
Well don't be too surprised as the new unofficial thread detective as dubbed by Cullwch, it's just another of those gems I discovered trawling through the backlots of yesteryear (i.e. my pre-registration on Chronicles) as I'm determined to resurrect threads I hope will prove to be of interest to new members. Seemed like a good idea at the time....;)

A very good idea. But I think it was archaeologist, not detective...

I'd add Erikson to the list here, but I'm afraid of getting lynched...

[scoots out of thread ahead of farm-yard-impletment-and-flaming-torch-wielding mob]

Culhwch said:
A very good idea. But I think it was archaeologist, not detective...
I'd add Erikson to the list here, but I'm afraid of getting lynched...
archaeologist, detective whatever I love my new job...:D

Now don't worry about mentioning Erikson, we'll make sure we only sear your skin rather than totally crisp it....:p

BTW looks like the aussies are at it again in the cricket, probably a bit too strong...

GOLLUM said:
Well I guess it all comes down to a matter of personal taste really. Like you I'm not really a fan of those authors you mention although for me Jordan is the best of that particular bunch and the only one I've stuck with although sometimes I wonder why....

Actually Tolkien is obviously a major heavyweight, grandaddy of the modern genre whatever you wish to label him as and this is the book that inspired me to first write but these days I don't think he stacks up that well in terms of prose or actual writing ability or for that matter general plot either when compared to some of the modern writers like Wolfe, Mieville, Erikson, Martin, Calvino, M John Harrison et al.... The one thing probably he still stands apart in is the worldbuilding and maybe it's not fair to compare writers in different eras like this but just what I feel.

*GOLLUM runs to higher ground to avoid beating by HedgeKnight and other Tolkien fans.... :p *

Dang it! Gollum has the high ground! Easier to defend against sword and axe, but lightning knows no boundaries! :p

Seriously, Tolkien is in a class with only a few other writers who helped shape literature as we know it today. Like 'em or not, they are not overrated - maybe underappreciated and scoffed at as "old school", but not overrated. Will those listed above and elsewhere has such a profound, everlasting effect on literature? I doubt it.
-g-

hedgeknight said:
Seriously, Tolkien is in a class with only a few other writers who helped shape literature as we know it today. Like 'em or not, they are not overrated - maybe underappreciated and scoffed at as "old school", but not overrated. Will those listed above and elsewhere has such a profound, everlasting effect on literature? I doubt it.
-g-
Well I'm off down under to get a good's night sleep so I can't give the kind of reply this comment deserves but I'm sure there'll be some other members ready and willing to add their thoughts soon enough...;)

Needless to say I can't agree that he's in a class of his own although you're right there's no denying his influence good or otherwise on the modern gentre. Plenty of others wil have something to say on this I'm sure.

Nighty night and don't all kill each other whilst I'm gone now...:)

i personally think it comes down to stupid people and hype. these people keep hearing how good so and so is, how talented, how he is the next best thing, the writer is pushed onto people, so people buy him and that encourages the myth that he's the next best thing

look at goodkind in particular, the guy i hate the most! or the kid who wrote that eragon kid. i hear FAR worse things about them than good, yet the media and publishers continue to insist they are great, and some people continue to buy them. its just weak willed people with a lot of cahs believing the hype when they should know ebtter, i guess!

the_faery_queen said:
for me overrated are:
1.goodkind. i loathe him. i think his characters are bland and flat, his writing style is just boring, and his abuse of women is disgusting.
2. eddings. its what i call starter fantasy, its just ridiculous and simplistic with happy endings everywhere
3. jordan. i LOVED his first book, second, third and fourth were ok. after that i got lost under the pile of meaningless names and random pointless plot nonexistance. i dont' think he is that overrated these days. i think a lot of people are tired of him. same with goodkind, to be honest, but there are still enough people to buy him to make him go to number 1 on booksellers lists and prevent him from having any reason to finish the series.

mostly, i hate goodkind. he's the only write i truly despise. others i am ok with, just think that they're not all that. but i kinda like that, knowing there are some people out there that arne't as great as the hype, gives me encouragment that i can achieve the same one day!
I agree with most of what you say but Goodkinds characters aren't bland he's trying to connect with normal people instead of having the oh so popular chivalrous knight who's to choked up on duty and honor to make a mistake. And he doesn't abuse the women because most the women in his stories are stronger than the men, they only suffer sometimes, besides the main character got it ten times worse in the first and second books than any woman in the whole series.

no. im sorry i have to disagree. firstly, i found goodkinds characters very bland because they are so one dimensional. either very good, or very bad. nothing in between.

and as for the strong women/rape factor. to start with, just because you believe a few of his characters are strong, it doens't mean he doesn't abuse others. one doesn't equal the other, after all.
second, i dont' think any of his women ARE strong. kahlan has power, but she isnt a strong person. she can't cope without richard, in teh first four books at least, nor can she cope WITHOUT her power. and in teh first four books there is little evidence of any other female character being strong.

and richard, well he got raped/tortured in one scene, that i remember. and i geuss again with the mord sith? who knows, i can't remember. what i do remember is 7 accounts of abuse towards women, from blow jobs to men you don't like (a sign of kahalans LACK of strength in my mind, that she gave in and gave a blow job to a man she didn't like because she was married to thim and resigned to her fate) to having sex with monsters, to gang raping girls then sold into slavery. and unlike with richard, NONE of this abuse is done to a female heroine. good girls don't get raped or have sex with monsters in goodkinds world, only bad girls. (except kahalan sister)which says so much. not to mention the fact that those bad girls arne't characters in thier own right, they are names for women, who then get raped. we dont' learn how this effects them, we dont' see how it furthers the plot, and its FAR too graphic in detail for an event to be happening to a minor character. it also happens far too frequently.

so im sorry, but i think goodkind is a misognist, i personally think he abuses his women far too much, and the level of it is why a lot of people have been put off him. that is just me, you're free to disagree and i know lots of people who do, or else he wouldn't keep selling so many books!

hope this doesn't come across too agressive/snarky. been told off for that before. but goodkind is someone i get very worked up about, so its hard to be laid back about it!

Last edited:
Did no one mention the Inheritance Series? :eek:

I find Eragon and Eldest to be a duo of the [possibly] worst fantasy series yet. No offence to anyone who likes them, of course. They're good for people who aren't hardcore/casual fantasy fans (in my opinion), but nothing--- absolutely nothing-- is original. As people have mentioned so many times before, you scoop up some Pern, a little Lord of the Rings, the entire storyline of Star Wars, sprinkle on some fantasy looking names, and you've got yourself Eragon.

Unfortunately, the media has played on the author's young age when he STARTED the book. I'm still puzzled by how that makes a difference. I'm 15, and I'm sure I could publish something semi-great if I wrote a story for 4 years and had parents who were publishers.

Just look at S.E. Hinton. She's one of my favorite authors of all time, and The Outsiders is arguably one of the top works of fiction in the 20th century. How old was she? 17!

i had a huge argument with people about ergaon. he self published, then got snapped up by a bigger publisher, who marketted it because of his age. to me, that's just so wrong! as a writer myself, i struggle to get my book into print, i worked hard to make it suitable, and i wouldn't want to be accepted merely because they could use something about me to market it, but rather they accept me because its good. teh age is a big factor because that's what they sell the book on. so they have to hype it, or no one would have brought it! i think its a shame, for the kid, really, because he's made it big instantly, becuase of his age. he will have little reason to improve or develop now that he's already famous. i think that people get better as they get older, if they have reason to!

but as i haven't read it, i can't comment on the book itself, just on how he got published. which i do :) a lot! i think its wrong. it should be talent, not age that gets you through life. and the stuff i wrote at 15 was so dire, i think i would die if it ever got into print! and my parents, tho very supportive, would never spoil me in that way as to print my stuff off. they would want me to do it properly. the hard way! *shrug*

I think that Kelpie has written the most appropriate post regarding Overrated books, to which I entirely concur.

It is logical that those books which have just been released onto the bookshelves will get the a lot of attention, especially if one has been a long time in the writing. :)

i think its more that they are over marketted. new writers don't get the same attention, a lot of publishing websites, even big ones, say writers have to do a lot of their own marketting. publishers spend cash on ones they know will sell, those with a fan base. so they over market those books to those fans, the fans buy it. the more selective fantasy readers, those who wont' just buy a book by a writer simply because they wrote it, but who want something well written and interesting, aren't really thought of. its the obessive fans that are targetted.

I see where you are coming from but even the writers with a large fan base had to start out as a new writer...I seem to like a lot of the more popular books but will certainly buy one that captures my attention, even if its author is unknown. I have a few in my bookcase that were published for a new writer and am looking forward to their new release. :)

well with goodkind he was given a HUGE advance, the biggest apparantly, so that's why he was hyped. george r martin had been writing before song of ice and fire, and i dont really think he was hyped, same with robin hobb, they were writing already, and just seemed to write a series that clicked
other hyped writers tend to be ones that have been writing for years, OR, as with the ergaon kid, have something marketable, his age. publishers rarely hype new writers. and i personally think that a lot of the writers with big fan bases, got their fan bases because when they started out, there wasn't much comeptition. i tend to, personally, think eddings wouldn't be in print now if it wasn't for the fact he started writing 20 years or something ago. i dont' think he offers anything to the genre that is worthy of being printed for, but because he started out so long ago, when there was't much else, and therefore got a fan base, he is still kept around.

tht's jkust me. you might be able to tell, i have a negative opinion about a lot of writers and how the sytem works! :)

GOLLUM said:

Gollum, just remember who Tolkien's contemporaries were - Mervyn Peake, Fritz Leiber, ER Eddison, Jack Vance, Clark Ashton Smith - it's not just a matter of different eras, it was that Tolkien wasn't an amazing writer. An amazing worldbuilder, yes, unquestionably. An amazing writer? No, despite being a great linguist. Everyone else has been picking easy targets - Jordan, Goodkind, Paolini. Tolkien seemed like more of a challenge (though I may have to resort to Moorcock if things turn bad).

Tolkien had a big impact on fantasy. On literature as a whole he had very little. Tolkien's importance, though, is often overstated. First - the misconception that he created fantasy. Its so commonly stated you could be forgiven for thinking that he was the only author in fantasy before 1990, and that he's the only one worth reading, which is far from the case. Tolkien had an undoubtedly huge impact on epic fantasy - but that was often simply as people cashed in on his commercial success and created their own. Fantasy would have existed without Tolkien, albeit in a different form.
And Tolkien has a hugely overshadowed other major influences in fantasy - Michael Moorcock, Fritz Leiber and Jack Vance together probably have had an equal or greater influence on fantasy as a whole than Tolkien - almost all Sword and Sorcery since can be traced to these three authors or to Robert Howard, a lot of epic fantasy has been influenced by them, Pratchett has been, New Wave has been - a large part of fantasy. And what about Mervyn Peake? He's probably one of the most important in terms of fantasy, but hideously under-read. Its rare to see a New Weird author who doesn't name Peake as a major influence.

As for influencing literature, I don't believe Tolkien comes close to the likes of Franz Kafka (who writes speculative fiction), and some of the magic realist authors have probably had more of an effect on literature as a whole - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Salman Rushdie etc.

And so far I've only talked about importance/influence, perhaps the easiest area to defend Tolkien on. In terms of the novels themselves? First things first, IMO the Silmarillion is a far superior novel to the Lord of the Rings. But focusing on LotR:
Characterisation - some characters are given a bit of depth - Frodo, Sam, Gollum, Faramir, Denethor, Boromir. There are a few more, but not many. Gollum is an excellent piece of characterisation. The others are a slight improvement on archetypes, but still don't move beyond two dimensions. And then you have the entire evil side - completely devoid of characterisation. And the plot - full of deus ex machinas, invincible characters on the good side and excuses when they aren't (oh no, Boromir died, but don't worry, he was trying to steal the ring so he wasn't actually good). The central problem is that his characters are one-dimensional as a rule. They may be very well done for one-dimensional characters, but that just can't compete with making them realistic.
But then, of course, this is unfair, he was trying to show off his world. We don't accuse Harrison of this problem. But was his world that interesting? Sure, it was hugely developed. But when you look into it, it's actually quite simplistic. Races didn't live together at all, but still could communicate with ease. Each race was given a specific area where they lived. And while there may have been a hugely detailed world, Tolkien just didn't have the writing ability to evocatively portray the atmosphere. The most interesting places he often did little description for while he did huge amounts for some of the monotonous landscapes. But in prose, Michael Moorcock's Epic Pooh is still the best argument against Tolkien.
Plot - as I've said, deus ex machinas, entirely predictable, characters act to fit the narrow confines of the plot, rather than driving it. Nothing to get hugely excited over.
Pacing - often too slow. The Fellowship of the Ring was extremely tedious, due to overdescription and a lack of action throughout. Did LotR need all its space? We tend to think that its concise simply because it's a lot shorter than most series today, but I think it could have been much more effective if there'd been a few hundred pages less.
If we're to compare this to the other major fantasy series published around this time, Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast, it pales in comparison. Peake at his worst can more evocatively portray atmosphere than Tolkien at his best. Peake's characters drive the plot, are 3-dimensional, unpredictable, ambiguous and often shocking. That means an excellent plot, with excellent characterisation, and an excellent world in which its all portrayed.
Pacing - actually quite fast, when you get past the writing style. As long as you understand that pace doesn't necessarily require movement, then you'll see a huge amount happens in each of the Gormenghast books, but not at the cost of any description.

Tolkien's LotR may be good - but it's not a masterpiece, and certainly not the only, or best, work of speculative fiction available.

You know, this has actually generated far less of an outcry than I expected. Perhaps saying Dune and LotR were over-rated just wasn't controversial enough. Perhaps I'll have to choose a new target - Martin.
[I hear thunder rumbling in the background. Now it's only a matter of time until the lightning strikes.]

How can I judge whether something (not only a book, but any creation which can involve an opinion) is overrated? I can decide, for me personally, that I don't like a particular book. or series, or author, and vote with my wallet- only buying another when I'm in an airport with nothing to read and there is absolutely nothing else I haven't read. But someone else might love it, and who am I to say he is wrong? Simply, if said person writes a revue of the book somewhere, and I buy something discovering our tastes are wildly divergent. it behoves me to remember the name, knowing I will probably disagree with his value judgements.
Certainly I probably won't buy any more of the WoT series (to the point that the first time I saw the abreviation here I immediately got Philip José Farmer's "World of Tiers" series ping up on the cash register of my brain)(not eliminating the exclusion clause for airports) but if enough people like it (or are reading doggedly through it because they've started, or consider they have to have a complete set before starting to read them, or even need the set to show how hip they are- no, nobody's hip any more, are they?) to keep it on the best seller list why should my taste predominate over theirs?

Some of us have already responded to your remarks on Tolkien so many times, we don't feel like we (or you) have anything new to bring to the argument.

But if you think it all needs to be said again: Having lived (and been old enough to be fully cognizant) through the era when Tolkien's work first had its great impact on the formation of the Fantasy field as we know it today, and having witnessed that impact as it played out, I really do have to stick by what I've said before. His impact, his influence was enormous and ongoing. Writers like Moorcock only influence a small cult following -- which as of this time the writers who make up the New Weird still are. In all probability they'll be all but forgotten as soon as the next New Thing comes along. Naturally they believe they are going to change the face of Fantasy, that they are changing the face of Fantasy. But those of us who know what Changing the Face of Fantasy looks like have yet to recognize any of the symptoms in the New Weird.

As for Mervyn Peake, his influence overall has been miniscule. I wish I could say otherwise; he was a writer of tremendous imagination. But it's not for his characterization that I would see him inspire others. His characters were, almost without exception, as one-sided and unrealistic and grotesque as they could possibly be. That was, in Peake, their charm. If everyone was doing it, it would soon become hackneyed. Worse, when rendered by writers of less talent and a more pedestrian imagination (as of course they would be, if Peake's influence was very great), those characters would be tedious.

I know you have said elsewhere that Steerpike is NOT a one-sided, purely evil character, because he is originally motivated by his desire to make a better Gormenghast. I guess this is a matter we will never be able to agree on, because you take his statement about equality at face value, and I am utterly convinced that it should be perfectly obvious that he was trying to scam Fuschia. To judge such a character by the ideals to which he (once or twice) pays lip-service rather than by his actions is, I believe, to underestimate the complexity and subtlety of the author's writing. In my opinion, you are giving Peake credit for virtues that his book doesn't have, and doing so at the expense of the excellent qualities that it really does have.

But we've had this discussion, or one very like it, before. I doubt we are entertaining anyone but ourselves by repeating it all again.

I happen to like the WOT books and Robert Jordan, you have to catch all the intricasies and little things in them to truly appreciate them. I normally wouldnt put down a series by any author since I am also a published author but the series I cant stand and have tried to read several times and still cant get into is Lord Fouls Bane by Stephen R Donaldson, way to far out there for me.

i am not sure why being published means you can't dislike other writers. my novels going to be published, i still dislike other writers. its all about taste really. i am sure even teh big names in fantasy have their likes and dislikes. they just have to be a little quiet about broadcasting it :)