James Webb Space Telescope

This whole thing absolutely blows me away. I try to imagine how these machines can function correctly in such utter cold when even -25 (f) weather here means everything is slow and brittle.

This whole thing absolutely blows me away. I try to imagine how these machines can function correctly in such utter cold when even -25 (f) weather here means everything is slow and brittle.

This is the absurdity of our technological society. We can land robots on Mars with skyhooks but the automobile industry cannot provide reliability and durability data on the products they have manufactured for 100 years.

I have never owned a new car or been to an auto show since the Moon landing.

I suppose one could call it cool tech. ;-)

but the automobile industry cannot provide reliability and durability data on the products they have manufactured for 100 years.
Two words: "Planned Obsolescence."

--- If your cars break after 10 years or so it's easy to sell another one.

This is the absurdity of our technological society. We can land robots on Mars with skyhooks but the automobile industry cannot provide reliability and durability data on the products they have manufactured for 100 years.

I suppose that if each car cost a billion dollars it would perform better and last a lot longer than the ones we are used to.

I suppose that if each car cost a billion dollars it would perform better and last a lot longer than the ones we are used to.

Yes, the car the lasts forever , the one billion dollar indestructible mobile , options not included . ;)

Nonsensical complaint. Satellites and space probes must be super reliable since no one can go to repair them. That does not mean that manufacturers don't know how to make very reliable products for use on Earth that can be fixed here. Plus they do not need to be redesigned every year. There is also no reason why economists do not report the annual depreciation of automobiles since WWII.

Marketing encourages consumers to be stupid.

GDP is BS!

Last edited:
So great to see the JWST finally launched and close to active duty. I remember discussing this in one of my first ever classes as a teacher in 2015/16, at the time it was projected to launch in 2018 and I told the class that history would suggest it would get pushed back, possibly a few times but still to keep an eye out for when it launches and then later starts sending pictures back. I wonder if any students have seen it mentioned (or will do during its lifespan) and vaugely remember a high school science class from way way back.

ON 12 JULY, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) will release its first scientific images, raising the curtain on a new era in astronomy. After years of delays, a suspenseful launch and months of testing, the most powerful telescope ever made is finally ready to gather fresh clues relating to questions we could only dream of answering with its predecessors.

NASA have released a "teaser" from an early engineering test:

Certainly looks very detailed!

ON 12 JULY, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) will release its first scientific images, raising the curtain on a new era in astronomy. After years of delays, a suspenseful launch and months of ], the most powerful telescope ever made is finally ready to gather fresh clues relating to questions we could only dream of answering with its predecessors.
AWAwawwaaa Man! NO eyeglasses for the mirror?

We are so lucky to be living in the days of this telescope. To quote the good Dr. --- Dr. Seuss, "O the wonders you will see."

Back