AI can create pictures and music from prompts, how soon will it be before they can create novels?

I recently listened to Joanna Penn's podcast #676. Her interviewee had never written a book before but was very familiar with AI tools. He has used a variety of AI tools to create 67 novels since August. He expects to hit 100 in his first year. They are, by his own admission, formulaic.

AI books are here and there will be many thousands of them. Are we now artisan authors?

Are you absolutely sure all those things are really needed to write a "full fledged literary work?" I'm not sure you aren't making assumptions there. Just because all the humans that have so far done so have those qualities to greater or lesser extents does not mean they are essential. That is quite possibly a classic correlation/causation error, and I'm not sure it's provable either way. It's possible that as AIs become more sophisticated with access to the vast database of written words already in existence they may eventually produce such works without having such qualities themselves. Of course it's also possible that as they become more sophisticated they may acquire those qualities. The rate this technology is now advancing I really wouldn't like to make any firm predictions.

For me the bottom line is that, as I see it, all those qualities stem from something that is no more than a highly sophisticated organic computer.
"Greetings, Earthling!" We come from a distant planet. Tell us about yourselves... who and what are you?"

"We are nothing more than highly sophisticated organic computers."

"Ok fellas let's try the crows."

One of our authors, Dr. Justin Bullock is actually publishing a book this month that was created in combination with CHATGPT! It's called, "Conversations with a Machine Oracle" Experimental in nature, this in depth look at AI capabilities will certainly be interesting.

"Greetings, Earthling!" We come from a distant planet. Tell us about yourselves... who and what are you?"

"We are nothing more than highly sophisticated organic computers."

"Ok fellas let's try the crows."
More likely: "Oh you're just like us then!"