Token, idol, symbol ???? Term for that thing that represents a God, Saint, etc. in paintings.

Cthulhu.Science

Token, symbol, emblem...

I'm looking for the right term. Gods, saints and other Characters are known to have their specific symbols so you can see a statue or painting of them and immediately know that it is them.

I'm trying to find a term that will work with Text2img.

The above three are not getting results.

I can write Athena with an owl, and the results aren't great, but I'd l thought there was a specific term for this specific type of symbol. But I cannot remember what it is.

Thanks.

I don't think there is a specific single word apart from "emblem", but a quick google about iconography threw up "iconic motif" which, as pm suggests, might lead simply to "icon".

There's also "attribute" perhaps.

EDIT: just checking the definition of "attribute" and Collins online includes "an object used in literature or art as a symbol for a person, office, etc. [eg] winged feet are the attribute of Mercury"

Last edited:
I don't think there is a specific single word apart from "emblem", but a quick google about iconography threw up "iconic motif" which, as pm suggests, might lead simply to "icon".

There's also "attribute" perhaps.

EDIT: just checking the definition of "attribute" and Collins online includes "an object used in literature or art as a symbol for a person, office, etc. [eg] winged feet are the attribute of Mercury"
God Mercury (with attributes) walking among the people (live-action)
1721423590698.png

Setting aside that I don't understand why "symbol" has not been accepted (as, say, the Eye of Horus is described as a symbol)....

What about "embodiment", "exemplar", "identifier", or "representation?

Or are you looking merely for the symbols for e.g. Roman Gods?
Mercury --winged sandals
Athena -- owl
etc
For saints, the terms are "attribute" or "emblem"

St. Michael archangel -- banner, scales, weighing souls, sword, slaying Satan or a dragon

Or are you looking merely for the symbols for e.g. Roman Gods?
Mercury --winged sandals
Athena -- owl
etc
For saints, the terms are "attribute" or "emblem"

St. Michael archangel -- banner, scales, weighing souls, sword, slaying Satan or a dragon
I'm hoping to find a term that can be used with anybody. St. Francis of Assisi, a Greek God, Wonder Woman.

I've tried quite a few terms -- and included a few mishaps just for fun (see above). But as I was trying to find the terms on my own I thought I'd remembered that there was a term for that very thing. And I thought maybe AI would recognize "THAT TERM" for its meaning and be helpful. I even dusted off my old copies of Janson and Kostov and hunted through the index to no avail.
1721440573316.png
1721440599818.png