Token, idol, symbol ???? Term for that thing that represents a God, Saint, etc. in paintings.

And, I might note, that the question is more than a correct term, but a term that "Artificial Intelligence" will understand.

This is a little tangential to the AI thread but it is a good example of how AI is not really "Intelligence." AI is a very complex algorithm that compares things. I'm hoping there is a term so specific that it'll only have (or at least sometimes have) the results of providing the standard iconography, token, symbol, emblem, icon, ikon, cartouche, embodiment, exemplar, identifier, representation, attribute or motif that is well known by humans that are familiar with the depiction of certain famous individuals.

Could you please provide an example of such "standard iconography". It seems to me that there might be a variety of "symbols" (for want of the term you seek) associated with a character and that an intelligence whether artificial or human might have difficulty coming up with the one YOU have in mind.

For example, according to Wikipedia Hermes' attributes and symbols include the herma, the rooster, the tortoise, satchel or pouch, talaria (winged sandals), and winged helmet or simple petasos, as well as the palm tree, goat, the number four, several kinds of fish, and incense. However, his main symbol is the caduceus, a winged staff intertwined with two snakes copulating and carvings of the other gods.

When I experimented with it, AI Image Generator came up with a variety of images for/and of Mercury using the basic search and then a vast variety depending on the style I chose.

On the other hand, a Google image search for "god mercury iconography" yields a myriad of symbols. (I haven't a clue what role AI now plays in Google search.)

But perhaps, I'm missing your point entirely. If so, please help me to understand since the topic intrigues me.

My grammar could be entirely wrong. Above I wrote the prompt I was using and the results. I would be happy to have ANY of the iconography -- to begin with and then move from there.

If you've had success, what is the prompt you are using -- and anti-prompt. Perhaps I'm simply going in the wrong direction.

Thanks.

God Mercury (with typical iconography) walking
1721449247924.png

God Mercury (with typical iconography) walking among the people (live-action), cinematic shot, dynamic lighting, 75mm, Technicolor, Panavision, cinemascope, sharp focus, fine details, 8k, HDR, realism, realistic, key visual, film still, cinematic color grading, depth of field
Negative Prompt: , bad lighting, low-quality, deformed, text, poorly drawn, holding camera, bad art, bad angle, boring, low-resolution, worst quality, bad composition, disfigured
1721449369826.png

St. Francis of Assisi (with typical iconography) walking among the people (live-action), cinematic shot, dynamic lighting, 75mm, Technicolor, Panavision, cinemascope, sharp focus, fine details, 8k, HDR, realism, realistic, key visual, film still, cinematic color grading, depth of field
Neg. Prompt - , bad lighting, low-quality, deformed, text, poorly drawn, holding camera, bad art, bad angle, boring, low-resolution, worst quality, bad composition, disfigured
1721449475326.png

This might be an OK image -- but no iconography.

Well, it's evidently time for AI image to go to bed. It's gone berserk on me and no matter how I phrase the prompt or which style I choose or which character I ask for it keeps generating two-headed images like these ROFLMAO
1721450587012.jpeg

1721450684685.jpeg

Well that's what I mean about whose emblems are we requiring? I'll see if I can get you fuzzy woodland creatures hang on lol
I can list things in an image. The hope was to find the generic term. As mentioned at the top, I've tried listing various things with miscellaneous results. But the hope is to find the correct terminology. And frankly, I thought I'd remembered there being one --- from the dark distant past of Art History course...

create a life-like image of st francis of assisi walking (live action photograph) with iconic Token, symbol, emblem, Icon, cartouche, embodiment, exemplar, identifier, representation ikon, attribute, iconography, motif,
1721453245554.png