August Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dying to Be Heard, by Paula Harmon. Margaret Demeray #4.

A mystery novel, and a bit of history lesson for me.

Margaret is a committed suffragist, a wife and recently a mother, a practicing physician, working in 1913 as a pathologist at a charity hospital, there to study diseases, but sometimes called in by the police to perform autopsies. Now in her late thirties, she has gradually been distancing herself from the more militant (and sometime violent) policies she once held in common with her friends in the suffragette movement, though not distancing herself from those friends or their long-term goals. When she begins to suspect her oldest friend of arson and of possible involvement in an explosion at a London post office, she faces an agonizing moral and ethical dilemma: Can she really betray a dear friend by reporting her suspicions—when suspicions are really all she has—especially when Maude has already been in prison twice and still suffers the mental and physical trauma of the abuses she suffered there? Yet, recruited to treat victims of the recent explosion she wonders, how can she keep silent, when others might be injured or killed as a result of that silence?

Complicating matters, someone seems to be murdering suffragettes and their allies—Margaret does the post-mortems, which, rather than clarifying how the victims died and why, only pose new questions—and the civil unrest stirred up around their activities may imperil an important peace treaty presently under negotiation, which is meant to prevent war in the Balkans from engulfing the rest of Europe as well. The stakes couldn’t be higher, but how do the various mysteries of the plot fit together? Where does the movement for Irish Home Rule enter the picture? Margaret doesn’t know, neither does her husband, Fox, a British intelligence officer involved in ensuring the peace talks go ahead, and it is only at the end of the story that the puzzle pieces begin to come together.

________

In reading this book, I learned things about the suffrage movement that I didn’t know before. I already knew women were imprisoned for holding protests, that they went on hunger strikes and were brutally force-fed as a result. I also knew that the procedure was painful and traumatizing. But what I didn't know was that it caused long-term physical and mental damage, as well as severe pain which lasted months after the prisoner was released. This is but one place where the main character being a doctor proves enlightening. I didn’t know that when the practice was declared illegal it continued to be used in some prisons.

In one horrifying scene, when she goes to visit Maude (who has been re-arrested for a previous crime) Margaret is pressured to assist as her friend is force-fed. Naturally, she refuses, on the grounds that the procedure is not supposed to be allowed, that it is cruel and dangerous, that the prisoner has been there for less than a day—so there would be no excuse in any case (she is hardly on the verge of starving to death)—but one of her male colleagues from the hospital insists on going ahead, botching the job so badly that he nearly kills Maude in the process.

I finished listening to Absolution Gap by Alistair Reynolds. I really enjoyed it, but found it to be a bit of a narrative dead end, as the story in the book never really impacted on the main Inhibitor story. The reader gave Clavain a faux American accent that i found incredibly annoying.

Between this and Absolution Gap, i beleive that the Madamoiselle and Skade were both infected by an Amarintin entity from the shroud. They seem like a callous (and possibly cruel in Skade's case) species. As the Inhibitors have kind of been defeated, i wonder whether they'd clash with humanity when the do finally emerge.

I wanted a bit of a pallet cleanser before i went on to the next book, but the Stainless Steel Rat audio books where too expensive (£25 for a 5 hour experience). I'll download them in slow time as i accrue tokens. My next listen will be Galactic North read by John Lee.

Galactic North.jpg

A series of short stories set within the Revelation Space Universe, i remember there being some absolute corkers in this one.

I'm in the mood for something darker after my last couple reads so I think I'm gonna reread We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. It's been one of my favourite books since I first read it last year so I'm excited to plow through it again.

It was required reading on a teacher training course in Bedford, in the late 80's.

I would like to say more, but that would spoil it for any new readers.

I finished listening to Absolution Gap by Alistair Reynolds. I really enjoyed it, but found it to be a bit of a narrative dead end, as the story in the book never really impacted on the main Inhibitor story. The reader gave Clavain a faux American accent that i found incredibly annoying.

Between this and Absolution Gap, i beleive that the Madamoiselle and Skade were both infected by an Amarintin entity from the shroud. They seem like a callous (and possibly cruel in Skade's case) species. As the Inhibitors have kind of been defeated, i wonder whether they'd clash with humanity when the do finally emerge.

I wanted a bit of a pallet cleanser before i went on to the next book, but the Stainless Steel Rat audio books where too expensive (£25 for a 5 hour experience). I'll download them in slow time as i accrue tokens. My next listen will be Galactic North read by John Lee.

View attachment 122154

A series of short stories set within the Revelation Space Universe, i remember there being some absolute corkers in this one.
I seem to recall that not all the Galactic North stories were set in the Revelation Space universe.

I finished reading In the Time of the Sixth Sun series by Thomas Harlan, and I really want to thank Vince W for recommending these books to me.

They're not just very good AU stories. They're a wonderful mix of AU story, space opera and even hard science fiction.

Who would have thought that these genres could be mixed? Usually authors who write AU history books are content with just changing the history of our planet. But in this case, there are aliens in these books, and the search for ancient civilizations that disappeared millions of years ago. On top of that, there are some great humorous episodes.

And Prince Tezozomoc's monologue at the beginning of the second book, when he arrives dead drunk on another planet and asks where his loyal warriors are to fight side by side with him, is in some ways even cooler than Hamlet's famous monologue.:lol:

The protagonist's alien companion, who looks like a two-legged tiger and refers to her children as 'cubs' and her home as her lair, is also simply adorable.:giggle:

Endurance: A Year in Space, A Lifetime of Discovery by Scott Kelly

I found Astronaut Scott Kelly's account of his year on the International Space Station (ISS), not to mention his earlier life experiences growing up as an almost high-school dropout, working his butt off, and his developing career (and all the training), to be an interesting account. He mentions things that simply don't occur to anyone living on a planet with gravity. There are also the physical hardships of travelling to and from the ISS, as well as the physical and psychological effects of living in space for a year. Before reading this book I had no idea how much maintenance and mechanical repairs take up the life of an astronaut. It almost sounds as if NASA and whoever else built the ISS used whatever scrap parts and spares they could scrounge up - especially when it came to the toilet system and carbon dioxide scrubbers. A fascinating, fairly detailed, and personal account of what it takes to be an astronaut and to live for a year on the International Space Station.​

Just last night (after midnight, so it counts ;)) I started Nightside the Long Sun - the first book in the epic, 4-volume Long Sun saga by Gene Wolfe. ... All we know is that [the Whorl] is very old - old enough to be a bit broken and decrepit but still basically liveable. Might report back when I've found my feet!
So Nightside has been a bit of a slog - almost a DNF - but I soldiered on and finished it last night. As a scientist I was gagging to learn more about what exactly people are inside, how long they've been in there, how it all works, where they're going, etc. But we learn almost nothing about that; they have forgotten their origins and purpose, and history has morphed into folklore and religion. There is occasional mention of a promising entity referred to as The Outsider, and of somewhere called Mainframe - as metaphysical a place as Christian heaven. But nothing satisfying and nothing that generated momentum. So the kind, harmless and likeable Patera Silk will have to find his way to enlightenment without me. May the wind be at his back! :giggle:

No, Hitmouse -- I believe I read LotR more or less annually at first, as a youngster. But this will be my first reading since 2019. However, this will be the first time I have read it in the Ace paperbacks, though I've had those copies for years (the Two Towers one since 1971).

I'm now onto the second book in the Star Trek trilogy I'm currently reading, Destiny, Book 2: Mere Mortals, by David Mack. This has started really well. The first book in the trilogy was good and entertaining, but this promises to be even better (if you like this kind of thing).

I think he did see, and object to, the art, but the main thing was that Ace's legal-but-unethical editions preyed on his mind. He "should" have left the matter to his publishers and their lawyers, but fretted, it seems, distracting him from The Silmarillion -- or anyway so he said. I revere Tolkien but I'm not convinced that he would have got The Silmarillion into publishable shape even if he had not had distractions from Ace and other matters on his mind. My guess is that he would have become involved with "sidetracks" of linguistic detail and so on. So far as I know he hadn't even made up his mind in what form "The Silmarillion" would come before the reader: as translations from Elvish languages prepared by Bilbo in Rivendell, or -- what? I'm not criticizing him on this account. If his son Christopher had been willing to surrender his academic job and become his father's paid assistant, maybe the great work would have been publishable in JRRT's lifetime. One can only speculate.

Incidentally, it's interesting that the Ace edition of The Fellowship does not spell out that this is just the first book of a three-book story. My understanding is that Ace wanted to see how well Fellowship would sell before going ahead with publication of the other two books. I'M not sure I could document that comment right away.

I quickly finished Nobody Walks by Mick Herron and then tried to start Landlines by Raynor Winn but it's a DNF. My wife said that I'd like it but it is much too wordy and descriptive without much substance for me. I've read a lot of books about walking before and enjoyed those, that isn't the problem. This his her third book. The first was The Salt Path which everyone raves about and I haven't read that, so may I should have read that first. Mrs. Dave said Landlines was about the Pennine Way, but only one small section is. Seemed to mostly concern her husband's health and reading health problems is the last think I need.

Anyway, I want to continue with the Dark Tower series and I now have The Wastelands, so I will begin that next.

Finished The House Across the Lake by Riley Sager. Sager often uses the tropes of horror to power his thrillers and here the paranormal factors in. Sager also seems to me in line of descent from Agatha Christie, the kind of literary prestidigitator who directs your attention in one direction while doing something else entirely even as you're watching him. This one springs from a Rear Window-like (the Hitchcock movie) situation: Casey is at her family's lake house in a kind of exile after taking to drink after her husband's death. Across the lake is the home of Katherine and Tom Royce, a stone and glass mansion presenting nothing but windows lake-side. Casey begins to watch the mansion and, after saving Katherine from drowning one morning, begins to suspect the nature of the Royce's relationship. Naturally, as a thriller, things spiral from there. Nicely done, some surprising revelations as the story progresses, and like Final Girls and The Last Time I Lied, hard to set aside as you get sucked into the plot.

Next up: The Trees by Percival Everett.

Status
Not open for further replies.