August Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this book too. Most readers praise The Left Hand of Darkness, but I'm much more a fan of Rocannon's World and The Word for World is Forest. As a history buff, I'm much more interested in reading about conflicts between different societies than gender issues.

You've practically expressed my own thoughts on this great book, as if you'd read them in my head and then put them here, and much more intelligently and elegantly than I could have done myself. But if it's all right, I'd like to expand on some other ideas you've expressed here.

You compared the attitude of the Terrans towards the Athsheans to the attitude of "dominant white western men" towards "the black people that they made slaves, and of the indigenous populations that they robbed and exterminated", and I had the same association when I read this book.

Sci-fi and fantasy are such amazing genres that allow the talented author to take similar episodes from the real history of our planet and then put them together to get the quintessence of the same situation repeated in different countries and different times.

I don't know how to explain it, because I don't know how to express my thoughts as coherently and elegantly as you do. But in very large empires, like the Spanish or the Russian, it was often the case that governors and frontiersmen in very remote areas would do absolutely horrible things to the local population, taking advantage of their remoteness, and go unpunished. Sometimes decent men (like Raj Lyubov in this book) tried to stop their crimes and wrote to Madrid and Moscow about them, but their reports usually ended up in the archives. In some cases, the rulers tried to investigate the most horrific cases, but because of distance, bribery and bureaucracy, such investigations usually ended in nothing.

The story told in The Word for World is Forest is the imaginary quintessence of such a case, transposed to the future and to another planet. But unlike the sad past, the future has the League of Worlds, which effectively protects the Athsheans from new waves of Earth colonists. There's also the Ansible, which allows messages to be sent and information to spread very quickly.

One of the things I really liked about this book is that it has a kind of realism to it. Raj Lyubov foolishly died instead of defecting to the Athsheans and falling in love with a pretty girl with fluffy green fur. Good people die in conflicts and wars, and they usually do. After all, even those good Germans who secretly hated Adolf Hitler had bombs dropped on their heads during the Second World War. I also really liked that Ursula Le Guin did not glamourize and idealize the Athsheans. There are no perfect societies or cultures, and every culture is non-ideal in its own way. But no culture deserves to be wiped out.

When I read your post, I immediately remembered that book and thought about things I didn't think about when I read The Word for World is Forest in my early teens, because my father bought it years ago. Of course, that nasty Davidson reminded me of some kind of space frontiersman from the very first pages. His self-righteousness made me sick and I wanted to punch him in the face. But I didn't pay attention to some of his character traits.

Davidson behaves very cruelly and violently towards those he considers inferior, while at the same time suspecting both his Asian boss and the Hainites of a conspiracy. Silly suspicions are usually the children of cowardice, and it is obvious that he is very afraid of the Hainites. As I now realize, the combination of cruelty to those below and cowardice to those above is the typical sign of a scoundrel. So Davidson is the quintessential example of not just a frontiersman, but a true scoundrel.

As for Ishi in Two Worlds, I read it after I had already become a fan of Ursula Le Guin. I found out that her mother had written that book, and her main protagonist was a friend of her father's, and that's when I read that book. So the order of associations was different for me.

I apologize for writing so many words here. But I think The Word for World is Forest is very underrated compared to The Left Hand of Darkness.
Ursula Le Guin swims in deeper waters than most: it's nice to read someone else's thoughtful enthusiasm in response to that :) This summer I'm reading stories by her that are new to me and what a treat...

Radio Free Albemuth – Philip K. Dick

The two narrative voices are of Phil Dick himself as a true-to-life character, and of his fictional friend, Nicholas Brady, who is in fact Dick’s alter ego.

We have a US president, supported by Russia, who is dictatorial, ruthless and a threat to his own people and democracy. Freemont embodies authoritarian hostility to freethinking, empathy and charity. “The Soviets backed him, the right-wingers backed him…”

President Fremont was modelled on Nixon. I’m not sure that even Philip K. Dick would have dredged up the monstrosity that is Trump from the pit of his imagining.

Brady’s experience of receiving extraterrestrial transmissions via condensed information-rich beams of pink, phosphene light is no less than Dick’s in real life: which he knows is a lot to take at face value! And so, by the device of making himself a character in the book, he seeks to take us along with him from scepticism to the realization of belief. The shift in his viewpoint as the story progresses makes it a delightful ploy.

“… although I was a professional science fiction writer, I could not really give credence to the idea that an extraterrestrial intelligence from another star system was communicating with him; I never took such notions seriously… Nicholas, I decided, had begun to part company with reality… This was a classic example of how the human mind, lacking real solutions, managed its miseries.”

Dick’s, then, is the voice of reason. His fiction is just that, he asserts. As Brady says, “Your books are so—well, they’re nuts.”

Until the denouement, the easy mood and self-deprecatory vein lend the narrative a certain charisma, and that it lacks the madcap scheming and complexity found in other works by PKD helps to make Radio Free Albemuth a neatly balanced read. A lightheartedness comes across in such comments as “the US intelligence community, as they like to call themselves.”

When the iron hand of the evil empire does strike, its savagery is shockingly efficient and effortless, almost casual.

The ease with which the light of civilization can go out is the warning of this novel. Phil’s (the character’s) reasonable take on things, his sensible rationale and healthy scepticism, which the reader naturally goes along with, will be won over by evidence and events and, ultimately, by incontrovertible violence.

Along the way, Dick shares deeply personal insights and the story acquires depth in his treatment of VALIS and divinity, perception and illusion, the nature of time, the meaning of the Orphic mysteries—and acquires urgency, since their lives are at stake.

Set against Fremont’s tyranny is a force that anyone with an insular view of science fiction may find surprising, because it is love. That is what Brady experienced VALIS to be: the Vast Active Living Intelligence System that for him (and Dick) was synonymous with God.

A vital theme in the novel is awakening, or anamnesis. Waking up to our true nature as well as to the baleful threat of the adversary, which all too easily wins out. Its oppressive power is great and, indeed, “the darkness closed over us completely.”

It is happening again and always.

Dick7.jpg

Ursula Le Guin swims in deeper waters than most: it's nice to read someone else's thoughtful enthusiasm in response to that :) This summer I'm reading stories by her that are new to me and what a treat...
She is also the author of the book Always Coming Home. It is about a girl who lives on a post-apocalyptic Earth. It is also about two very different societies that are going to clash with each other. One is very peaceful and the other is very aggressive and focused on conquering and expanding its territory.
It's a really unique book. Ursula Le Guin not only invented the language of the Kesh people (to whom the protagonist's mother belongs) for this story. She also invented their culture, their traditional cuisine and (with the help of composer Todd Barton) even their music.
With all due respect to Tolkien, this is even more complex and interesting than Middle-earth.:)

David Livingstone by Rob Mackenzie [biography]

This is a serviceable biography of missionary David Livingstone - his faith and dedication to converting the tribes of Africa to Christianity, his abhorrence and efforts to stop the slave-trade, and his travels to map the continent and find the sources of the Nile river. Livingstone led an inspired life, but Mackenzie is not an inspiring writer. The text is serviceable, stating what happened, when and why, with maps, and also excerpts from Livingstone's letters and journals. But after a while, all that hardship became rather monotonous and depressing to read. None the less, this book makes for a decent introduction to the subject.​

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
Continuing my slow progress through the works of Haruki Murakami I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. A wonderful magical tale of connections and consequences across boundaries of countries and worlds. This is typical Murakami; a slow burner story of an ordinary man who might be considered something of a loser, to whom extraordinary things start happening. As the reader we get to watch his world falling apart but through connections made across time and space he begins to adjust to a new reality. In classic Murakami style the prosaic is made remarkable and poetic and all gets a liberal sprinkling of that rather unique style of magical realism that he has made his. This is neither an action book nor a book in which the reader can expect to find everything neatly tied up by the end. Life isn't like that and neither are Murakami's books. But as always I find his writing and storytelling completely mesmerising. 5/5 stars

World of Trouble by Ben H Winters
This is the third and final book in Winters' last Policeman trilogy. And once again, despite the doomed backdrop of the imminent arrival of an extinction level asteroid, he manages to create a thriller that is not depressingly fatalistic. I've enjoyed these books way more than I would have expected given the terminal nature of that backdrop. This last one certainly had more than it's fair share of pathos but the main protagonist's determination to do what's right, despite everything, keeps the book from drowning in that pathos. 4/5 stars

I've been keeping up my usual pace of reading 2-3 books a week but find I'm enjoying them less. I have come to the point that when I start reading a book I can almost always tell that it's going to be like "this or that kind of book." Here are some tropes that I keep running into. Present day earther (finds, steals, is given) a star ship usually with an A.I. which does the actual running of the ship. He (it's usually a he) has a group of friends and they thumb their nose at the earth authorities and have adventures. Or its the far future and a washed up captain with an old warship becomes the only thing standing between earth and an alien invasion. Or the prince of an empire leads the fleets in mortal combat but wins the day through daring and cunning. Or there's a bunch of crusty old veteran marines who keep getting the short end of the deal and the pointy end of the stick but win through with guts and glory. Or somehow someone from the future is translated to the past (possibly the past in another dimension) and they use the knowledge from the future to save a worthy but struggling empire. (See a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court). There's more, but you get the idea. ---- This is the long way of saying I haven't been putting up mini-reviews of the books that I've been reading because I'm not impressed. Perhaps this is because I've now read so many of these kinds of books that they don't pop for me like before, or maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety.

I just finished Carbon Copy by David Collins. It has an unusual twist for a setting which (see above) I really liked. An alien world has decided that they do not trust A.I.'s any longer and set about destroying them. One of them EK905, an AI controlled Explorer ship discovers this and is able to hide its identity in its world of origin long enough so that it is prepared to fly off to the planet that it had been watching, earth, and decides to hide there. The AI is able to create a doppelganger and by way of quantum entanglement live among the humans as if it is one. The story itself occurs nearly a 100 years later at a time just slightly in advance of today when earth technology is making it difficult to live like among humans like it used to. It has to make a truly human doppelganger, and that's where the fun starts.

This book seemed very much in the realm of the possible. I liked EK905 who becomes Kaylee Green in this story. I would say that the end of the story wasn't too much to my liking but not because it was a bad end, more like a fairy tale ending, "And they all lived happily ever after."

@Danny McG there is a bit of a love story, but it is not a romance in a literary sense.

Avoid --- Not Recommended --- Flawed --- Okay --- Good --- Recommended --- Shouldn’t be Missed

@Parson: You've just described one of the reasons I stopped reading every fantasy or science fiction novel I could get my hands on. There were the never ending series so you could never know if you had picked something from the middle, or how long to wait for the next installment, but the novels all became rather "samey" and predictable, and disappointing.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

A time travel story, with "peculiar" children and monsters, that made use of vintage photographs as a prop. I felt the concept was interesting, but the actual writing a bit clunky, and the"magic/time-loop" system came across as half-thought-out - I have issues and questions! The secondary characters were all flat - no characterization. Sometimes the story felt like bits were included just so a specific photograph could be included. I'm also not sure that all the action in the last quarter of the book is physically possible - even for children with special gifts. I also think Jacob's father just gives up too easily and far too conveniently. And it ends on a cliff-hanger. So, brownie points for the interesting concept (I hope you read this in a photo friendly format!), but I ate some of them because the writing is not up to scratch, the characters were flat and the plot devolved into a generic fantasy plot of the special children must get the bad guys and rescue the princess (sort of). Only most of these children are in their 80s and one of them is getting romantically involved with a teenager - this is squicky territory. I might have to eat some more brownie points!

Finished The Gray Prince by Jack Vance, another marvelous romp through the exotic imagination of the undisputed king of the action verb. Next is:
IMG_4889.jpeg

Will be interesting to find out whether this is a mainstreamer masquerading as sf or the other way around.

She is also the author of the book Always Coming Home. It is about a girl who lives on a post-apocalyptic Earth. It is also about two very different societies that are going to clash with each other. One is very peaceful and the other is very aggressive and focused on conquering and expanding its territory.
It's a really unique book. Ursula Le Guin not only invented the language of the Kesh people (to whom the protagonist's mother belongs) for this story. She also invented their culture, their traditional cuisine and (with the help of composer Todd Barton) even their music.
With all due respect to Tolkien, this is even more complex and interesting than Middle-earth.:)
Yes... for me, Always Coming Home is a very special book. Le Guin conjures up a people, a land, an entire culture. Their tales, dances, poems, symbols, drawings, songs, customs, their maps and alphabet. An imaginary northern Californian utopia about people who “might be going to have lived a long, long time from now.”

“Hard times are coming, when we’ll be wanting the voices of writers who can see alternatives to how we live now, can see through our fear-stricken society and its obsessive technologies to other ways of being, and even imagine real grounds for hope. We’ll need writers who can remember freedom—poets, visionaries—realists of a larger reality…” Ursula Le Guin (“Freedom”)

What Do Bees Think About? by Mathieu Lihoreau [audiobook, science]

A fascinating account of the life of bees. Animal cognition researcher Mathieu Lihoreau examines a century of research into insect evolution and behavior, explaining recent scientific discoveries, recounting researchers' anecdotes, and reflecting on the cognition of these fascinating creatures. The author is also mildly amusing, which was a bonus (humour doesn't always work fro me).

Status
Not open for further replies.