Less Known YA Authors

rune said:
I recently discovered - Alison Croggon. Only written two books so far.
The Gift and The Riddle

Lovely writing style, and very imaganative

I'll definatly have to back this one up! I read them last summer and couldn't put them down! The 3rd book is due out soon aswell!

Who else do I think deserves more recognition for their work? Richard Poole has written 2 great books so far in his books of Lowmoor and not many people mention him a lot - you might of heard of the books anyway! I'm sure I'll think of lots more later!

Recently discovered Joseph Delaney - Spook's Apprentice, Spook's Curse etc. Sort of a fantasy/horror crossbreed for YA. Those who like Garth Nix will probably like his writing.

Emily Rodda has two books on the top 50 list over here....

Rowan of Rin: The Journey...which is described as a 'gripping fantasy adventure'.

Deltora Quest Series One : The Forest of Silence...how two friends set out to rid their land of evil.

The reviews sound very encouraging...

Mark Robson said:
Recently discovered Joseph Delaney - Spook's Apprentice, Spook's Curse etc. Sort of a fantasy/horror crossbreed for YA. Those who like Garth Nix will probably like his writing.

I just bought Spook's Apprentice at a book sale last weekend and it is indeed good. Am going to try and find the others now.

Also picked up three books by Malorie Blackman. I'd not read any of her books before nor seen her on the shelves of the stores here. The books are Whizziwig & Whizziwig Returns; Operation Gadgetman and Cloud Busting.

Cloud Busting especially was a joy to read since it's told in verse, which is not at all common for YA books. It's a book that's funny and sad all at the same time.

Does Rob Grant count? (not red dwarf, i mean incompetence)

And i wouldn't say you were "lesser known" Mark... You're on the rise to worldwide fame!

Nesacat said:

I just bought Spook's Apprentice at a book sale last weekend and it is indeed good. Am going to try and find the others now.

Also picked up three books by Malorie Blackman. I'd not read any of her books before nor seen her on the shelves of the stores here. The books are Whizziwig & Whizziwig Returns; Operation Gadgetman and Cloud Busting.

Cloud Busting especially was a joy to read since it's told in verse, which is not at all common for YA books. It's a book that's funny and sad all at the same time.

I read Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman, which I found both thought provoking and well constructed. The ending was a shock for a young adult novel - not what I had expected at all. Malorie certainly doesn't shy away from tackling adult issues in her stories.

Glad you liked Spook's Apprentice - out of interest, what did you like most about it?

And Joel - my plans for world domination are hardly a secret, but I've got a long way to go before I'd describe myself as well known! Thanks for the support, though. It's much appreciated.

And Joel - my plans for world domination are hardly a secret, but I've got a long way to go before I'd describe myself as well known!
We know of your plans over here in the states, so yes you are well known. :)

BookStop said:
Tamora Pierce, Michael Chabon, Tracy Lynn, and Robin McKinley are gaining popularity.

Robin McKinley's latest book is definitely NOT YA! Has anyone read Sunshine? It's awesome! I love that book. It's on my Kill Someone For The Last Copy On Earth list.

Susnshine is very, very good. A whole new kind of vampire tale. :)

Mark .. I bought and read Noughts & Crosses. You are right. The ending was a shock. I was hoping and hoping she would make the decision that she did but that he would also somehow be spared. But in the end I think I was glad Blackman did not cop out and make it all alright.

I have Tanglewreck and so far it looks good indeed. :)

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice

1. The Ruins of Gorlan
2. The Burning Bridge

These books seem to have made a comeback to our shelves. Very popular with the young teenagers who I know. Might even try reading them myself!

Why not jump on the bandwagon eh! So I'm someone else copying Mark Robson as I add me to the list. I think I came on this website because searching the web I was curious to find that my first book was mentioned by one of the members here who had read it and had given it a positive response. (I think it might have been Adasunshine but I can't be definite - I think it was under the thread of what we're reading in June.) Anyway, you could always check out my website.

Last edited:
Spaceship - Your books look intriguing, but I can't find them here in the States. :(

Any plans on getting Amazon.com (US) to carry them?
That's the problem BookStop - being a "less known YA author" it's hard to get them in anywhere - even in the UK! But maybe one day !!!!!!

New to me is Sylvia Louise Engdahl, but perhaps she's well-known to you. I recently read her Journey Between Worlds, originally published in 1970 and updated in a 2006 edition. My reaction was mixed: I thoroughly appreciated Engdahl's positive message space exploration, but the plot was thin, and I found myself observing the heroine rather than sharing her experiences emotionally.

Who 's that Israeli expert Shoher?

A politically active co-worker brought to my attention multitude references about him.
Shoher chose to remain a pen name to fool Israeli censors, and Obadiah promotes very extreme things on Middle East's politics.

I recently discovered Brandon Mull's Fablehaven and I liked it a lot! I recommend it. Oh and I also love McKinley's Sunshine!