Less Known YA Authors

The first that come to mind are Robin Jarvis (Deptford Mice, Whitby Witches, Wyrd Museum) and Garry Kilworth (Welkin Weasels trilogies). Both tend to be overshadowed by Brian Jacques because they share some similarities in genre, though imho they are far better writers.

Unfortunately it's hard to find their books. Some of Jarvis' books are out of print, and most of the ones I have were bought from second-hand book shops.

I discovered a great YA suspense/horrorish writer the other day - Nick Manns. I believe he's written at least 3 books. The one I read was a great ghost story set in modern times. It had everything one could want in a ghost story - a ghost (in fact an army of them!) a spooky house, a whole host of strange happenings, an innocent little girl (there's always one of those in the best ghost stories!) and a modern - past conflict that draws on a very nasty part of history.

'Control Shift' is well worth a read if you like this sort of tale. It's not a blood and gore horror story, but if you're a young reader who likes to have a story lift the hairs on the back of your neck - this should do it for you. :)

I've just finished an audio version of Faerie Wars, by Herbie Brennan. I don't know if he's lesser-known- he was new to me :)

I really enjoyed the story, though there were some random plot elements that did not get resolved. However, it's the first in a series, so maybe they come more into play later. I'd recommend the book, though- it's fun and engaging, I think.

PS- 1,400 posts, Mark Robson!