What is the scariest movie you have ever seen?

Re: The Scariest Movie Ever!

I don't think I ever saw a scary Zombie movie. And I've seen a lot of 'em.

Nah, not scary, just good clean fun...well, maybe not clean fun...rotting, drooling, shambling fun...like waiting for a kebab at the end of a heavy night...

For me it has to be The Innocents (1961). The movie did it the good old-fashioned way, first you involved with the location and characters, and then showed you what twisted things could lurk inside of them. To the end it also maintained the ambiguity of the supernatural and the psychological that gave the movie much power...no need here for slimy aliens or little girls with hair over their faces.

Just had the opportunity to view this movie and I agree with Ravenus' comments. Although I don't think it's the scariest, it's definitely one of the most intelligently written and directed. It's a movie that treats the viewer like an intelligent adult rather than some brainless scream-machine:)

I think horror shouldn't be about scary mythical creatures anymore, but think that could really happen. Like Hostel, but then a good movie, could happen. Or Se7en.

Marky Lazer said:
I think horror shouldn't be about scary mythical creatures anymore, but think that could really happen. Like Hostel, but then a good movie, could happen. Or Se7en.
That'd be too prosaic. Then every 2nd movie would be a Backwoods Brutality movie and the Rednecks will file a lawsuit against Hollywood :p

But you ought to check out Larry Cohen's movies God told me to and Q - The Winged Serpent. I wouldn't say they're scary movies, but they're brilliant and interesting movies about ancient legends rearing their head in a modern world.

A horror particularly works on me when they create a character who is real enough and rounded enough that you really begin to feel them, and then -about halfway through the movie - horrible, upsetting things happen to them. Like 'Psycho', or 'The Haunting'.

I agree with you, Weave, The Ring, The Grudge and The exorcism of Emily Rose are definitely some scary films. Oh, and the Amityville Horror is quite good!
However, they're probably only the recent scary films that are...well scary. And trust me, I've seen practically every new horror film...Silent Hill, Pulse, Hostel, The Fog, Severence, The Village, White Noise, The Hills have Eyes to name but a few. I prefer the old classics, they will always be brilliant, even if the monsters are...interesting, to say they least. But I think films depend too much on CGI now...until they get to the point where CGI will be so realistic that you can't tell the difference, I will not be a fan of it...that's what spoilt Silent Hill for me. So...particular favourites (not always the scariest, but just damn great!):
The Evil Dead films...so very funny!
Poltergeist (at least until it starts going over the top...I LOVE the bit where the woman turns around and all the chairs are stacked on the table!)
Sixth Sense is quite good, not scary, but clever.
Nightmare on Elm Street (and the rest)...I love the bit where the woman's being murdered in her sleep and she's being dragged across the ceiling!
Chucky...I watched this when I was very small...and I also had a doll called chucky...that also had ginger hair!...needless to say, I didn't like that doll afterwards! (actually...I might've named it that because of the film...I was a twisted child!)
Anyway, I have to stop, once you get me onto the topic of Horro films, I won't stop!!

The Pit and the Pendulum - unless I'm getting some other film in a muddle with this one, it was the bit where they knocked down a wall and found a skeleton incarcerated inside it and before it had died it had obviously been trying to claw its way out of its tomb! Didn't sleep for at least a week after watching this!

Oooh Pit and the Pendulum? Based on the Edgar Allen Poe story by any chance? That is my FAVOURITE Poe story...closely followed by the one where he bricks himself into his cellar by mistake! Poe is a legend.

I'm too old and jaded to be scared by a film now but there was a time......

In the Incredible Shinking Man our hero had shrunk to the size that a horrible spider was chasing him. I was about 8 and terrified.

"In Space No One Can Hear You Scream" was the tag line to Alien as jsut off camera in th steam and the dripping water, the as yet unseen alien is rearing up to its full height as Harry Dean Stanton is gradually becoming aware of his eminent death.

Each time the camera turned back to the climbing bars at the school, there were a few more crows sitting there in the Birds. As Hitchcock directed his camera not to look back to the bars and to linger on the unsuspecting victim, I knew things were getting desparate.

It seems to me that they just don't build the suspense like that anymore and are too content to try to shock us with blood and severed limbs.

Last edited:

Again, I'm with Steve... Of course, with The Incredible Shrinking Man, that film holds up well because it was well-written, and the awfulness of the film for an older person is Scott Carey's entire situation, to shrink one-seventh of an inch each day, every day, with no out, losing the world bit by bit, losing one's manhood, one's humanity, everything familiar becoming entirely alien, and the inevitability of it all. A very good film from an excellent novel.

The problem with most films, however, is that they do rely on the "shock" rather than anything that genuinely builds up an atmosphere of tension or suspense, or a feeling of the unknown. Yes, psychos in real life can be scary. In films, they are almost mind-numbingly boring to me anymore. They're as interchangeable as the body-parts called for in the scripts. (Se7en being a notable exception ... but that was a puzzle/suspense story as well, and played on several different levels.) It is, however, increasingly difficult to derive a genuine "frisson" from modern films, as so much of this has been done before... however, I did find that Ringu gave me some of that, from little incidentals more than the big things... her movements when she came out of the television, for instance, and began to stand, as if all she herself were liquid and then the bones began to realign and snap into place as she moved, very creepy, that, and something entirely missing from the American remake. I still get some of that from The Haunting, in the scene where Eleanor and Theo are in the room, and Eleanor has heard that awful muttered conversation that one can never quite make out, and has been holding Theo's hand, only to have Theo turn on the light on the other side of the room... and her looking at her hand and simply asking "Whose hand was I holding?" Or the staircase sequence in the library.... The Innocents, where Peter Wyngarde gives such a fine performance as Quint, without a single word of dialogue, yet his evil presence is felt throughout the film, even though he only has about 4 minutes of screen time. Dead of Night has some fine moments, too, and should be mentioned; the story of the ventriloquist may be one of the best of its kind (Michael Redgrave's performance is impeccable). Parts of Mario Bava's Black Sunday and Black Sabbath are also quite good. The tale "The Ring" from Black Sabbath, even with the very odd-looking apparition, can still be genuinely creepy, and parts of "The Vrdulak" also have more than a little power to raise the hackles, while several scenes in Black Sunday remain very powerful because of the fine use of lighting and camerawork.

I suppose it comes down to the same problem there is with written horror so often these days: lack of restraint. To suggest, to provide the hints that will take the reader or viewer into those dark places you want them to go, but which will engage their imagination so that what they picture has so very much more power than anything special effects can put on a screen, or words can put on paper... that's where the fault lies. Like the scene in The Leopard Man, where the little girl is sent out for flour for the tortillas, and on her way home, hears something following her. In the end, she runs to the door and pounds to be let in, crying for her mother that the leopard is after her and, the mother being a harassed mother and tired of stories, won't let her in until she stops telling stories ... and then there is a loud "whumpf", and the door bows inward, and then sounds of something being dragged away, and the tiniest trickle of something from under the door... You never see what it is, you never see the carnage, but IT WORKS! All because Lewton knew NOT to show, but to suggest, and to use the tension, the shadows, and the viewer's own fears and abilities to frighten him- or herself (and, not incidentally, to mix other feelings in as well, which makes it more effective; whether those feelings be awe, wonder, pity, sadness, what-have-you, that complex of emotions makes the moment much more powerful).

28 Days Later had excellent suspense. That one had me going.

For all-time scariest, nothing traumatized me like The Birds, though. Saw it on TV when I was 9—my mom wasn't sure, but I insisted—and it absolutely terrorized me. I was a wreck for two weeks. Nightmares, daymares, hallucinations. I still get the jibblies when I see three birds sitting together.

Okay I should start out that I really don't like scary movies...

The scariest movie I have ever seen was Misery, when she swung that axe up *chills* a lot of that was probably due to my age (about 7) but that movie scared me really bad