What we're reading in August...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I finished Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. My favorite line from the book was his commentary on TV - "No wonder that people are becoming passive sponges - absorbing but never creating." And that was written in the 50's. He thought 3 hours of tv watching a day was a lot.

I'm now working on Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man.

Which story are you on The Illustrated Man?

Im reading it too.What did you think of the first one? It was like a horror story:)

If you wanna talk about Bradbury or this short story collection i have made a thread about him in Classic SF forum.

Which story are you on The Illustrated Man?

Im reading it too.What did you think of the first one? It was like a horror story:)

If you wanna talk about Bradbury or this short story collection i have made a thread about him in Classic SF forum.

I just finished reading The Highway. I'll go find the other thread to talk about it there.

Have finished reading The Blade Itself and am now looking forward for the release of book 2.

I've now started reading Feast Of Souls by Celia Friedman. I haven't read any of her books before but thought it was about time to try a new author. Only up to chapter 8 but I am really enjoying this book. Classed as dark fantasy, classic high fantasy and Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror!

Have finished reading The Blade Itself and am now looking forward for the release of book 2.

I've now started reading Feast Of Souls by Celia Friedman. I haven't read any of her books before but thought it was about time to try a new author. Only up to chapter 8 but I am really enjoying this book. Classed as dark fantasy, classic high fantasy and Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror!

If you like C. S. Friedman's Feast Of Souls, I recommend her Coldfire Trilogy. It's about a planet where your worst fears can come to life. Starts with Black Sun Rising, followed by When True Night Falls and Crown of Shadows.

Finished The Mirador and am anxiously awaiting the next book in the series. Great stuff.

Now to rest my weary brain am reading a guilty pleasures book by an author new to me, Rachel Vincent's Stray. It's about a female college student werecat.

Back to reading my copy of Altered Corbon by Richard Morgan.

Its a great SF noir. The cyberpunk part is pretty refereshing too. I couldnt finish it earlier when i started reading it thanks to some library books that was almost expired.

Takeshi Kovacs is such cool main character perfect for his messed up world. When i see him do the things he do in action scenes and the way he reacts in dangerous situations i think he is a hybrid of Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry or any of his pre Unforgiven westerns and Jack Baur.

If you like C. S. Friedman's Feast Of Souls, I recommend her Coldfire Trilogy. It's about a planet where your worst fears can come to life. Starts with Black Sun Rising, followed by When True Night Falls and Crown of Shadows.

Thank you Murphy...I'll keep those in mind. :)

I just finished the Long Sun series by Gene Wolfe, and just started Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny.

I'm reading:
The Last Castle - Jack Vance
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers - Renni Browne and Dave King

I'm reading:
The Last Castle - Jack Vance
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers - Renni Browne and Dave King

I have seen that you read alot of SF. I must just say that you should try Richard Morgan and Takeshi Kovacs books if you havent read them. Its a great blend of SF noir+cyberpunk.

I have seen that you read alot of SF. I must just say that you should try Richard Morgan and Takeshi Kovacs books if you havent read them. Its a great blend of SF noir+cyberpunk.

Richard Morgan is actually in my to read list. I have his Altered Carbon on my wishlist. I have never heard of Takeshi Kovacs though.

I've been meaning to try more of the current crop of SF, like Richard Morgan, Alastair Reynolds, John Scalzi...

Richard Morgan is actually in my to read list. I have his Altered Carbon on my wishlist. I have never heard of Takeshi Kovacs though.

I've been meaning to try more of the current crop of SF, like Richard Morgan, Alastair Reynolds, John Scalzi...

Takeshi Kovacs is the hero of Altered Carbon. Great series. John Scalzi is very good space opera also. I need to find his Old Man's War and start a reread since I have his last book, The Last Colony, in my TBR pile.

Takeshi Kovacs is the hero of Altered Carbon. Great series. John Scalzi is very good space opera also. I need to find his Old Man's War and start a reread since I have his last book, The Last Colony, in my TBR pile.

I bought Old Man's War today. I didnt mean to get it today but i remembered it cause i read this in RAH's ST wiki page :
Scalzi's novel Old Man's War is, according to the author, explicitly patterned after Starship Troopers.

I wanted the book but i remembered today only cause i read about ST for the 100th in wiki :p

I bought Old Man's War today. I didnt mean to get it today but i remembered it cause i read this in RAH's ST wiki page :​

Scalzi's novel Old Man's War is, according to the author, explicitly patterned after Starship Troopers.

I wanted the book but i remembered today only cause i read about ST for the 100th in wiki :p

IMHO, Scalzi's book is much better than Starship Troopers.

IMHO, Scalzi's book is much better than Starship Troopers.

Even if its only half as good as ST its way above my expectation for the book.

I dont expect something special just a good military SF.

I haven't read Starship Troopers yet. I was kinda put off reading it by the ridiculous movie adaptation. One of the worst movies ever. I know I shouldn't, but I can't avoid making the connection. I do believe the book to be vastly superior, and in many aspects (including plot) totally different from the film, but it is quite far down my list.

Have finished both The Occult Lovecraft and The Normal Lovecraft, and am about halfway through The Shuttered Room at this point....

Status
Not open for further replies.