Who's reading what? September's selection...

Status
Not open for further replies.
J.D. : are you sure it's an unabriged and unchanged edition ? I heard lots of things about especialy 19th century english editions of foreign works being edited or "adapted" , like with Hoffman .

Me, apart from the Keir Cross book I'm currently reading [FONT=&quot]CHILDREN OF THE HILLS , [/FONT]TALES AND SKETCHES OF WESTERN IRELAND IN THE OLD TIME AND THE PRESENT DAY [FONT=&quot]BY DERMOT O'BYRNE . If youve never heard of it, you aparently should check it out .
[/FONT]

Well, I was wondering about an earlier post about a book called DUST OF DREAMS and the following statement the member's next book was Jack Vance's LYONESSE which said member mentioned was his first foray into Vancian realms. I was going to ask if DUST OF DREAMS might not be either DUST OF FAR SUNS or THE BOOK OF DREAMS but since LYONESSE was the "first foray" there probably was a book called DUST OF DREAMS and I had just never heard of it. And since I can't delete posts, rather than try to explain myself (read the above and you'll see what I mean) I decided to whoops! the whole thing. There! Now that's all cleared up.:eek:

I do believe that was Steven Erikson's Dust of Dreams.

J.D. : are you sure it's an unabriged and unchanged edition ? I heard lots of things about especialy 19th century english editions of foreign works being edited or "adapted" , like with Hoffman .

I've not done a lot of research on this one, but I'm fairly certain it isn't abridged -- the title story is a fairly longish novelette (more than half the book), for example. There were such cases, yes, and Hoffmann's work suffered more than most... though often less from abridgement than from a peculiar attempt to try to capture a more "fantastic", foreign, or distanced feel by elaborate syntax and the like, as opposed to the original, fairly straightforward prose of Hoffmann himself. (Carlyle, I understand, was one of the worst in this respect, oddly enough.)

The translator's preface, too, would support it being rather faithful, given his focus on their meticulous detail when it comes to historical matters and the genuine folkloric basis for many of their tales, and the fact that the writing is crisp and clear -- at times a bit of "leisurely, old-fashioned prose", but never seeming to be complex or tortuous, as such things as you mention usually were....

Oh, by the way, have you ever hear dof the O'Byrne book I mentioned ? "Hunger" is a wonderfully cruel story , and "Through the rain" certainly has enough imagery .

Just finished "Use of Weapons" by Iain M Banks. Back to my Lovecraft collection for a few more stories...

Oh, by the way, have you ever hear dof the O'Byrne book I mentioned ? "Hunger" is a wonderfully cruel story , and "Through the rain" certainly has enough imagery .

It rings a very faint bell, but I've never read it; if you wouldn't mind sending me the link, I'd appreciate it....

Just finished My Work is Not Yet Done by Thomas Ligotti. Very dark, very good.
Now on Artifact by Gregory Bear.

How was Artifact? I've scanned the thread and if you returned with comment, I didn't see it. I've got the book around here somewhere and I keep intending to read it, but haven't quite gotten there yet.

In the past week, I've read an urban fantasy, Amazon Ink, by Lori Devoti...pretty much of a popcorn book, but not bad for what it was. Also, a mystery, Devil Bones, by Kathy Reichs. Not the best of Reichs' work, but I did enjoy it.

Now, I'm on to more serious, non-fiction stuff, reading The Devil In Dover, by Lauri Lebo. It's about the court case a few years ago in Pennsylvania, where the Intelligent Design advocates pretty much got their collective head handed to them on a platter for trying to get ID taught in public school classrooms. The author is a local journalist in the area who covered the trial and the controversy surrounding it. So far, an interesting book.

I have read Tiltangle by R.W. Mackelworth. This was pretty much pulp SF. The premise is that thousands of people are holed up in a mountainside some 50 years after an earth wide Ice Age. groups of people have to travel to a bunker some unknown distance (the author never really gives us any estimation) from their eagles nest to gather supplies from a seemingly unlimited resource left by the former government. A pair have been sent to gather more food at the bunker though are talked into going on further in possibility of finding a warmer climate. I found the story to be relatively enjoyable, though the characters were pretty well one dimensional, and the story really gave very little insight into many different aspects of their lives and also what was going on.

Level 7 by Mordecai Roshwald. A group of people are taken down into a secret bunker that controls the nuclear arsenal of the US. The problem is it is a one way journey and they are sealed off from the rest of the world for the rest of their natural lives. Conveyed through the diary of one man it gives an insight into solitude, wanting of more and humans who have been forced into unexpected circumstances. It also had a very strong warning about Nuclear War and it's devastating effects on not only the US and Russia, but the whole planet. Definitely a book worthy of reading if you haven't done so.

Currently I'm reading The Postman by David Brinn. Only around 40 pages in, but so far I'm enjoying it immensely.

Just finished Neil Asher's "Line War", possibly the best Polity book yet. Excellent combat, and a twisting story. Recommended for those who like high speed, well written, military space opera. Also a nice line in dark humour. Good fun.

I'd like to see a whole book dedicated to the war drones.

I finished The White Queen by Philippa Gregory last night. I thought it was pretty good, although not her best. I did enjoy it and look forward to the next in the trilogy, whenever it comes out.

Finished Mike Carey's Dead Men's Boots and 3/4 of the way through his Thicker Than Water. Next up will be The Naming of the Beasts. They are (as printed on the cover of one of the books) "Witty, deadpan and shudderingly noir." Love 'em.

Re-reading (after a gap of 35 years) The Worm Ouroboros, by ER Eddison...

They should be whiped and then crucified . How dare the need to improve their own lives interfere with out reading ?

I'm reading my first H.P. Lovecraft The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories -Penguin Classics version.

Status
Not open for further replies.