November Reading! Share your thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for my own reading... continuing with the Poe, but also dipping into my volumes of The Atheneum....

I picked up a fair number of these when I first moved back to Austin in 2006, and -- given the short nature of most of the pieces included -- it seems a good thing to read when I don't have enough time to go for longer works. The one I am beginning with is Vol. I of the second series, April to October 1824..
Agreed that the action of publishing an author's work posthumously against their wishes will never reach universal consensus.

Now I never realised the Antehenuem was the preccursor to the New Statesmen, which as you are probably aware is a fairly strident newspaper that has endured its share of controversey and financial instability. Anyway, I was wondering if you have any articles of the time from prominent contributors like Virigna Woolf, Thomas Hardy, Adouls Huxley or T.S Eliot?

Are these originals or fascimilies that you have? If orginals that's a nice stash you have there.

Now I never realised the Antehenuem was the preccursor to the New Statesmen, which as you are probably aware is a fairly strident newspaper that has endured its share of controversey and financial instability. Anyway, I was wondering if you have any articles of the time from prominent contributors like Virigna Woolf, Thomas Hardy, Adouls Huxley or T.S Eliot?

Are these originals or fascimilies that you have? If orginals that's a nice stash you have there.

Errr... Mr. G, that's 1824, not 1924; so none of the writers you mention were even born yet....

What I have is several bound volumes of the journal (6 months in each), issued (if I understand their "Advertisement" correctly) roughly at the end of that period. I don't have a complete run, but what I have are the majority of the volumes -- I have 16 in all -- dating from April 1824 to March 1833. As I said, I acquired them shortly after moving back up here in 2006, at a wonderful little place called 12th Street Books -- the same place I came across that copy of Incidents of Travel in Egypt &c. (1841) for a dollar.

They are interesting little things, giving quite a nice cross-section of what was available in the popular magazines (albeit not the lower end of the scale) of the period....

Errr... Mr. G, that's 1824, not 1924; so none of the writers you mention were even born yet....
Yes I was aware of that.....:rolleyes:

To explain the Atheneum I was referring to as I understood it ran under that title from the 1820s to around 1920. As you indicated that you had several of these my query was based upon the question of whether or not you had issues dating from the early 1900s during which time these prominent authors did contribute. Obviously you only appear to have the earlier edns. from the 1800s making my enquiry null and void.

I'm seriously thinking we now may also be referring to two different publications. In fact I just noticed I'm referring to Athanaeum and you Atheneum, hence the confusion. In fact is your publication from the USA because mine is published in England?

Either way it sounds as if you have a nice collection there.

Hope that explains my inital reasoning anyway....:)

who's Darth Bane?

In the Star Wars Expanded Universe he is one of the First Sith. It was him that started the Master/Apprentice thing for the Sith. He's a good character actually. Hugely enjoyable books.

Started and finished Kat Richardson Greywalker - interesting enough to keep reading, although at some points contained too long explanations of the world mechanics and stalled the story - the usual evils of the first book :D
Now back to Feist ... again ... and will finish it ... if I don't take a detour to Asher and Prador Moon

Sorry for the confusion on the question. Yes, mine is from America -- modeled (in some ways) on the British publication. I have seen it sometimes referred to, in fact, as "The American Atheneum"....

Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith

A well written,well researched crime book that capture very well Sovjet Russia of those days really well.

Its like a time capsule. Reminds me one of those Cold War documentaries I like watching in History Channel.

I've just finished reading the Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton. I must admit i found the whole thing to be a bit contrived. The only parts that i genuinely enjoyed where the sections about Edeard, the Waterwalker.

I'll be starting Star Wars: Death Star tonight. It's been a long time since i've read any Star Wars books, so i'm quite looking forward to this.

Just finished "World of a Null-A" by A. E. Van Vogt and about to start "Ancient Sorceries and other Weird Stories" by Algernon Blackwood...

6133114m.jpg
2441559m.jpg

The Stainless Steel Rat Omnibus (the first three) by Harry Harrison

Whit by Iain Banks

Enjoying both for their own merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.