September: What have you been reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rereading a popular philosophy book at the moment (is there such a thing!) What's Wrong With Eating People by Peter Cave, and have just started Foreigners by James Lovegrove. I haven't read anything by him before but it looks interesting. Also Ian Watson's short story The Very Slow Time machine again, never really understood it, still don't now, fourth time round.

Just finished Inish Carraig by a certain somebody (y), good stuff very interesting setting in which to explore certain themes. On to The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu, slightly different feel but enjoying the pace so far...

Justin Cronin The Passage, a slightly disturbing but compelling read.
It's a very good trilogy despite the mammoth size of it!

Just finished Inish Carraig by a certain somebody (y), good stuff very interesting setting in which to explore certain themes. On to The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu, slightly different feel but enjoying the pace so far...

I'll be interested to hear your, and anyone else's for that matter, thoughts on The Three Body Problem. It'll be getting to the top of my pile fairly soon.

I'll be interested to hear your, and anyone else's for that matter, thoughts on The Three Body Problem. It'll be getting to the top of my pile fairly soon.

Inish Carraig is great craic! (y)

The Three-Body Problem will make you think of Arthur C. Clarke or Poul Anderson. It's an intelligent book, but doesn't try to be too pedantic or condescending. I really don't want to say too much about it since I think it could partly spoil it for people who haven't read it, but

I think it sets the whole idea of an alien invasion on it's ear.

It makes me wish I could read Chinese just to see what other gems I'm missing. The third translated book, Death's End, is due out in a couple of weeks. I purchased the first two in hardback and will be buying the third as soon as I can.

Reading A Darker Shade of Magic, by V. E. Schwab. About a third of the way in, and I'm intrigued by the plot and the premise of the parallel Londons, Red, White, Grey, and Black.

Rereading a popular philosophy book at the moment (is there such a thing!) What's Wrong With Eating People by Peter Cave, and have just started Foreigners by James Lovegrove. I haven't read anything by him before but it looks interesting. Also Ian Watson's short story The Very Slow Time machine again, never really understood it, still don't now, fourth time round.
have you read Sophie's World?

tryed to read that one... didn't managed it. not saying is bad... just not good for me :)

Reading an old book titled Black Heart, by Eric Van Lustbader.

I've read a bunch of books since I posted the book by Erikson. I'll post those soon.

Finished this in late August and forgot to mention it:

Better than expected space adventure. Smith, more so than most others, can be extremely hit and miss. Triplanetary and The Skylark Of Space breezed along without a hitch but First Lensman and Galactic Patrol were chores almost beyond belief. Spacehounds is somewhere inbetween being both creative and bizarre and has a rocket science which while no doubt completely unrealistic retains an internal logic that never seems to contradict itself. I may not understand it but it feels right when bashed back and forth between the several scientists trying to figure things out. The problem, and it's a pretty big one, is the dialog. Hard to take at times. This is one case where a new edition with normalized dialog would be justifiably celebrated.

Last edited:
No my friend I haven't, should I ?
Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy by Jostein Gaarder A page-turning novel that is also an exploration of the great philosophical concepts of Western thought, Sophie's World has fired the imagination of readers all over the world, with more than twenty million copies in print.
I think you do not have anything to loose.

Finished this in late August and forgot to mention it:

Better than expected space adventure. Smith, more so than most others, can be extremely hit and miss. Triplanetary and The Skylark Of Space breezed along without a hitch but First Lensman and Galactic Patrol were chores almost beyond belief. Spacehounds is somewhere inbetween being both creative and bizarre and has a rocket science which while no doubt completely unrealistic retains an internal logic that never seems to contradict itself. I may not understand it but it feels right when bashed back and forth between the several scientists trying to figure things out. The problem, and it's a pretty big one, is the dialog. Hard to take at times. This is one case where a new edition with normalized dialog would be justifiably celebrated.
you're right, the first one is something of a chore but other ones n the series are not bad. just mora fantastic that science :)

Finished reading Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge, fantasy YA, very good. Excellent atmosphere and period feel (between the Wars).

Now started on Warrior Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold - have been meaning to try this series for ages, but couldn't decide where to start, so consulted various threads here and went for this one...enjoying it. Although have done a little unintended diversion into Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy which I picked up off the shelf inadvertently and started rereading...

My next reading project requires some explanation. There's a fellow who runs a web site called "Galactic Journey." The gimmick is that he takes on the persona of an SF fan of fifty-five years ago. This allows him to review "new" books, movies, and magazines, as well as talk about what's going on in space travel, world news, music, and so on.

Galactic Journey

I've been a fan of this site for a while, and I have been invited to write a review of the October 1961 issue of Fantastic, which he has been kind enough to mail to me.

After that special project, my next book to read will be The Collected Stories of Frank Herbert (2014), which is exactly what it sounds like.

My next reading project requires some explanation. There's a fellow who runs a web site called "Galactic Journey." The gimmick is that he takes on the persona of an SF fan of fifty-five years ago. This allows him to review "new" books, movies, and magazines, as well as talk about what's going on in space travel, world news, music, and so on.

Galactic Journey

I've been a fan of this site for a while, and I have been invited to write a review of the October 1961 issue of Fantastic, which he has been kind enough to mail to me.
Checked it out and added to favorites. Another place to spend my ever shortening life span.

What dask said.

Oh, and good luck with the Herbert. "You're gonna need it."

Still toiling through Clive Barker's The Scarlet Gospels. Not up to his usual standard so taking me a little time to get through it.

I think his characters are becoming a little too typecast and I think he's lost his skill of understanding human behaviour. Some of the male characters are having sexual banter with each other whilst fighting demons in Hell? It isn't really working for me, it's as though he's written it with it in his mind of being made into a film. I think Damnation Game, The Hellhound Heart, Weaveworld, Cabal and Imajica are much more skilfully written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back