September: What have you been reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished The gate to Futures Past by Julie Czerneda. The second in the Reunification series. A very unexpected ending. Will be interested in where the author is taking me.

Post Captain by Patrick O’Brian - Slightly disappointing. It didn't really know if it wanted to be a Jane Austen Romance or an age of sail adventure. More here.

Next up is Alastair Reynolds' House of Suns
Stick with the Patrick O'Brien.

Getting ready to restart A Song of Ice and Fire by G.R.R. Martin. Only got to the third book last time, and I want to try to actually finish the available books this time.

I am about to start SF: The Year's Greatest Science Fiction and Fantasy (1956), edited by Judith Merril. It's the first in the series. Introduction by Orson Welles, who proves to have quite a bit of knowledge about the field.

Finished this:

Great stuff, "Pigeons From Hell" still packs a punch after thirty years, but "Worms Of The Earth" read for the first time perhaps the strangest and most bizarre of the bunch.

Now starting this, a sort of greatest hits collection loaded with famous titles:

"The Rats In The Walls" a great way to kick off. Read it before but can't remember much of it. It comes back as I read but don't know what happens next.

Finally finished re-reading Tad Williams' To Green Angel Tower, and fell in love with the series all over again. I had forgotten how absolutely gigantic the three books are, I think it took nearly a fortnight to read all 3 books of the original trilogy.

Time well spent.:)

Finally finished re-reading Tad Williams' To Green Angel Tower, and fell in love with the series all over again.

A while ago, I thought of starting the trilogy again, but was put off by remembering TGAT as having been very flabby. Did you not find it so? (And did you read it in the single-volume hardback? I recall it being not so much unputdownable as difficult to lift!)

was put off by remembering TGAT as having been very flabby. Did you not find it so?
Oh, yes, most definitely. The pacing of the trilogy was all rather gentle. As an example, late in the book there's a chapter that begins with, and goes on for several pages, a rather detailed description of the weather. Essentially it was just telling me it was cold.:( As much as I enjoyed the books, I did come away feeling very much that if I put up something with similar amounts of description for critique here there would be stern words:). Of course, the books are over 20 years old now and the writing landscape has changed quite a bit.
And did you read it in the single-volume hardback? I recall it being not so much unputdownable as difficult to lift!
Originally I borrowed the paperbacks from the local library - TGAT was then in two volumes and they were large indeed, so I can only imagine how cumbersome the hardback was. Surprised you didn't do yourself an injury:D This time I went for kindle - much lighter!

Getting ready to restart A Song of Ice and Fire by G.R.R. Martin. Only got to the third book last time, and I want to try to actually finish the available books this time.

I'm still in the third book, and have been for a long time. I keep reading a chapter or two, then putting it down for a while to read other books. I don't know what happened. I zipped through the first two books and the story is still interesting. But it just isn't gripping me any more.

Got to say WowWowWow!!!

10 chapters in to The Fireman by Joe Hill.

If it keeps up to such a fantastic beginning then without doubt it's going to be one of my favourite reads of 2016.

Finished Dracula. Currently reading (and enjoying) Explorations: Through The Wormhole.

Got to say WowWowWow!!!

10 chapters in to The Fireman by Joe Hill.

If it keeps up to such a fantastic beginning then without doubt it's going to be one of my favourite reads of 2016.

Cool Pedro. I devoured this monster of a book. It was something really different and I loved it.

Finished Dracula. Currently reading (and enjoying) Explorations: Through The Wormhole.

Glad you're enjoying it Foxbat!

I finished Peter Cawdron's Mars Endeavour this weekend. I liked the book quite a bit. It merged AI with Mars for a cool story. It reminded me of a really well done Outer Limits episode.

I moved on to some epic fantasy. John Gwynne's Valor. After reading a bunch of 200-300 page SF books on my kindle, it feels strange to pick up a fat fantasy book! I'm 100 pages in and happy to be there.

Re-reading Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast books - exploring a strange and fascinating world! I am coming to the end of Gormenghast, looking forward to delving back into Titus Alone.

I'm reading Peadar O'Guilin's The Call, which I hoped I would like since Peadar is a great guy and a mate.

It is fan-bloody-tastic. Honestly, one of the best books I've read this year.

Essentially the Sidhe (Shee/fairyfolk) have detached Ireland from the rest of the world and are taking kids from the age of 13-15 into their world and killing them (pretty gruesomely). Each child is called for 3 minutes in our time but must survive the fairy world for a day. I genuinely have no idea who will survive, or how. It's brilliant. Buy it.

Read The Inquisition: Reign of Fear by Toby Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back