September: What have you been reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Number Zero by Umberto Eco, Satin Island by Tom McCarthy and Three Body Problem by Liu Cuxin.

Will be reading Nightmare Stacks by Charlie Stross next then The Dark Forest by Liu Cuxin (part two of the triology). Somewhere in there I need to finish the Water Knife

Lies of Locke Lamora - The book Eddings would have wrote if he'd just decided to write about the thieves and had been about as twice as good.

Dark Moon - A one book epic fantasy that really needed more than one book. I remembered it as being better than it was by some margin.

Heart of Granite: Blood and Fire - Really cool. Cool idea, fun action, more than enough charm to veneer over any lack in depth. 5/5 for Action/Adventure

Lions of Al-Rassan - Still part way through

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy/Smiley's People - Think I hadn't done my re-reads of those when I last posted in here. Masterful.

Number Zero by Umberto Eco, Satin Island by Tom McCarthy and Three Body Problem by Liu Cuxin.

Will be reading Nightmare Stacks by Charlie Stross next then The Dark Forest by Liu Cuxin (part two of the triology). Somewhere in there I need to finish the Water Knife

Welcome to the chrons forums, Stewart Hotston. :)

Just finished a rereading of Garner's Moon of Gomrath, about the old Ace paperback of which I commented here:

From Way, Way Back in Your Reading Life

Previous to that was a twelfth reading of The Hobbit.

I'm also reading Trollope's Miss Mackenzie, which seems subpar for my experience of this author although it is picking up. I'll probably finish reading Malcolm Muggeridge's second "Chronicle of Wasted Time," The Infernal Grove, today, which covers the time after his return from Moscow to the end of the Second World War. These memoirs move right along and are imbued with MM's characteristic perception of the vanity and (self-)deception of individuals and social engineering. He went everywhere, from Simla to Lisbon, from Paris to Algiers, and met everyone, from Kim Philby to de Gaulle to Orwell. Also reading Lovelace's Dynamics of Spiritual Life, and about to launch into Malory's Morte Darthur: The Winchester Manuscript for my teaching.

Finished re-reading Tad Williams' The Stone of Farewell

It must be about 15 years since I first read the original Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy (or 4 volumes in paperback here in the UK - I think it was still a trilogy stateside). I have really enjoyed re-discovering the books, and yet... the pacing seems rather, ahem, languid. There are, sadly, also quite a few typos in the kindle version which is rather a shame. However, overall a great read. Onwards to the conclusion now...

Read a police procedural by Peter Lovesey, Cop to Corpse, and a cosy, Deception in the Cotswolds by Rebecca Tope.

Finished Black Heart, by Eric Van Lustbader.

Started The Matarese Countdown, by Robert Ludlum.

It must be about 15 years since I first read the original Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy (or 4 volumes in paperback here in the UK - I think it was still a trilogy stateside). I have really enjoyed re-discovering the books, and yet... the pacing seems rather, ahem, languid. There are, sadly, also quite a few typos in the kindle version which is rather a shame. However, overall a great read. Onwards to the conclusion now...

I only ever remember reading the first volume, and I recall liking it enough. That's a series I should make my way too again. I think I still have book one somewhere here too.

Its been the same length of time for me too, I'm fairly certain the series trailed off for me after a good start...

Starting Malory's Morte Darthur (World's Classics edition) again. Such great stuff! Chaucer wrote what we call Middle English, but Malory's book takes us to early modern English. It's pleasing to regard this book as coeval with the language we speak and write today.

and about to launch into Malory's Morte Darthur: The Winchester Manuscript for my teaching.

Isn't that the manuscript that the headmaster of Winchester College stumbled upon in the College library, where it had presumably been sitting for several hundred years?
By all accounts the school library is full of first editions of most of the English classics published in the last 600 years. A friend of mine who was at the college asked the librarian if they had anything on Newton, and was presented with a signed edition of Principia Mathematica to work from.

I just finished The Return of the Sorcerer: The Best of Clark Ashton Smith. Now I'm on to The Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies by the same author.

Just flicking through the above posts and i remember all those books I loved and I'd like to read again, Unfortuately I think i'd need to live to be a100. or 200. This month I read Tokyo Doesn't Love us anymore. Set in the near future and with everyone blanking out bad memories. Well written. It's a bit intense so I also re-read Gravity's Eye for downtime, which is YA scifi and is just fun and adventure and lots of monsters and bad guys. A hoot!

Just finished "The Private Life Of Elder Things", a collection of eleven short stories by Adrian Tchaikovsky, or Keris McDonald or Adam Gauntlett.
These are all Lovecraftian Horror, and a pretty good collection it was too, not a duff one in the lot.
"Special Needs Child" was a bit grim, I wouldn't bother putting this one up for adopted!
"Irrational Numbers", "The Branch Line Repairman", "Moving Targets" all very good.
As was "Devo Nodenti", no sweet dreams after this one.
A word of warning, if after having read the excellent "New Build" you hear dogs howling in the night and they seem to be getting closer.
Then it's time to get the plasterers in pronto!!!

@Jo Zebedee Since I have not made it to Dune yet, I am listening to the audio book on my drive to and from work. That is a long audio book! 20hours. It's very different, with music, and actors playing each character. Kind of cool though.

Also finishing up on Mars Endeavour by Peter Cawdron. A colony on Mars gets newsfeeds telling them major cities on Earth are being nuked, then the feed is cut dead. Now the real fun begins on Mars. A fun read so far.

Post Captain by Patrick O’Brian - Slightly disappointing. It didn't really know if it wanted to be a Jane Austen Romance or an age of sail adventure. More here.

Next up is Alastair Reynolds' House of Suns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back