Old Tech thread

The Space Shuttle’s teleprinter weighed 59 pounds, adding over a million dollars to the cost of each flight.

IMG_0015.jpeg

Looks like a meeting of the Geordi La Forge Appreciation Society...
The only problem is the date it's before STNG, but I think I now know where the idea for Geordi La Forge's "glasses" came from.

IMG_1144.JPG
Virtuality 1000CS arcade game. Note the word "CYBER" written in large letters on the side.
Pic is from "Mondo 2000 User's Guide To The New Edge" (Virtual Reality chapter, there is also a "Virtual Sex" chapter), which is itself "Old Tech", a book which is struggling to be a website (published in 1992, the year before Mosaic was released).

1950's rail/road bus from Germany. It normally ran on rails, using two detachable bogies, but could be dismounted to run on the road to places with no railway tracks. Ran from 1952 until 1967, when the last was scrapped, apart from one retained in the Transport Museum in Nuremberg.

8b633a1780e82cba10fcdc4f40f6fcbf.jpg

1950's rail/road bus from Germany. It normally ran on rails, using two detachable bogies, but could be dismounted to run on the road to places with no railway tracks. Ran from 1952 until 1967, when the last was scrapped, apart from one retained in the Transport Museum in Nuremberg.

Here in Ontario I've seen pick up trucks with the adapters required to do this. Used for maintenance purposes (of the line and surrounding infrastructure) rather than for transport.

Back