Old Tech thread

This computer is never obsolete

IMG_0724.jpeg

It's not that integrated - the VHS is an optional extra!

And it doesn't appear to have a remote unless the man comes included in the integrated system.

Voice activation. "Could you switch over to BBC2 now please, Smithers?"

1725698630983.jpeg

Yes, there was a remote, or rather 'the chairside convenience of random access remote control.' Why use one word when seven will do?
And note that 'three times the size of a 25" diagonal console' does not mean a 75" diagonal screen.

To be fair, though, we've come a long way in 50 years...

maxresdefault.jpg

And at the other end of the speed spectrum:

1962 record attempt. French cyclist José Meiffret pedals down the Autobahn at 127 miles per hour, or 204 km/h. Look at that gear-wheel!
What about safe driving distances!!! 127mph and he is only inches behind the car in front!! Outrageous! :ROFLMAO:

Despite my joking, yes, I've read the article and, yes, they were very aware of the dangers and, yes, there were several cyclist deaths doing this dangerous 'sport' of 'motor-paced racing'. I'm actually in awe of their bravery and a little bemused by their craziness!

Here's the bike. As well as that oversized gearwheel, it had wooden wheel-rims, as metal ones got too hot and distorted, letting the air out.
He pedaled only 2.64 revolutions per second at top velocity. Estimated rear wheel diameter = 27in and gear ratio = 10:1. So rear wheel revolves 26.4 times per second at 127.243mph, and pedals revolve more slowly by a gear ratio of 10, or 2.64. That back wheel revolves at 1584 rpm!

meiffret-130-dents.jpg

And here's a video of an earlier, failed attempt. Warning! Accident and blood!

I wonder why they turned the forks backwards. I don't think that would help the handling at all. When cycling at high speeds the resistance is almost all from the air (negligible from friction). I think this speed record is still periodically attempted and surpassed today, using a near-identical method.

asder.jpg

The long wheelbase and front suspension would sacrifice maneuverability in favor of stability (most important when riding in a straight line at over 100mph).

In the 1980's Tony Foale experimented with motorcycle forks. Results were different to what one would predict. Particularly with no forward angle.

I wonder why they turned the forks backwards. I don't think that would help the handling at all.
This is so the cyclist can get as close as possible to the windscreen carried by the motor vehicle. That screen has a roller on it so that if the bike front wheel actually touches it won't act as a brake. The closer they get to the windscreen the better the wind shielding but also the more dangerous as in reality they reckoned that a touch at full speed would result in instant breakup of the wheel.

Back