Old Tech thread

Not sure if we've had this before - electric car charging, 1911.

66e97382cfd54_frw3szf519od1-jpeg__700.jpg

I'm trying to understand it's alignment. Which are the driving wheels. It would be easy to make the rear wheels the driving wheels by use of a chain drive (which I don't think I can see) but the obvious reason for having such a large front/main wheel is the speed available by turning it, but I can't see how that is achieved by the position of the pedals. If this were to come into any common use it would have to have a way for mounting and dismounting. I can only imagine the woman driving it getting a boost up and being assisted to the ground upon arriving.

I thought that the pedals drive a chain upwards and slightly backwards to the hub of the giant wheel - but this is hidden in this picture by the Victorian voluminous skirts (which must of themselves been a hazard with all those spokes flashing past!)

I grew up in 60s rural Scotland and some of the stuff we got up to playing on farms, riding on farm machinery, making our own bows and arrows, building tree houses, etc. would spark a joint Social Services/Health & Safety Executive task force these days. Looking back its a miracle we survived ( relatively) unscathed. I only have one minor scar from sticking my forehead into a metal beam while running (but not carrying scissors)...

I'm nearly having a heart attack, just looking at the picture.
Take it away!!!
It's not really that high - it's a forced perspective publicity photo. Look at the counter sign, bottom left - it looks very much as if it's on the top of a building. I'd bet they're not more than 10 feet off the ground.
Here's a good example...

cliff.jpg
Pedra-do-Telegrafo.jpg

I grew up in 60s rural Scotland and some of the stuff we got up to playing on farms, riding on farm machinery, making our own bows and arrows, building tree houses, etc. would spark a joint Social Services/Health & Safety Executive task force these days. Looking back its a miracle we survived ( relatively) unscathed. I only have one minor scar from sticking my forehead into a metal beam while running (but not carrying scissors)...
So this was you?

Sorry ‘Dailymotion no longer supports your internet browser’, so I can’t see the above...

Back