Old Tech thread

Yes, ours is also a Bosch, currently about ten years old, bought to replace the second-hand Bosch that died a year or two after the rat infestation and re-wire. We could have scrounged around to find another second-hand item, but decided to get the money together for a new one as the Bosch had been impressive, aside from the lack of rodent-ingress protection.

I could have tracked down how we appeared to generate so much surplus washing up
The simplest explanation (though not necessarily the most correct one) is that, because the dishwasher was there to do the dishwashing, little or no care or effort was taken to use the least number of dishwashable items.

The simplest explanation (though not necessarily the most correct one) is that, because the dishwasher was there to do the dishwashing, little or no care or effort was taken to use the least number of dishwashable items.
But not in this case because the surplus washing up came before the dishwasher.

Surely that just means someone else can patent the toilet roll with the flap under, and sue the other lot for royalties anytime someone uses a roll that way.

There is apparently a patent for toilet rolls. The roll is illustrated with the flap forward (I think - I don't get excited about toilet roll directions, just so long as there is some, so I didn't look too closely).
The problem with the paper coming off the top of the roll is that it obscures the role itself, making it difficult to see how much of the roll remains.

The problem with the paper coming off the top of the roll is that it obscures the role itself, making it difficult to see how much of the roll remains.
I have never noticed this. The side of the roll is usually visible, so position of the flap doesn't hide anything.

And now for something completely different...

On the left, the design by Supermarine for a Mach-2 interceptor fighter, the Type 559, abandoned in 1959.
On the right, Gerry Anderson's Fireball XL5, first screened in 1962...

Supermarinetype559.jpg
Fireball XL5 blog 6.jpg

On the left, the design by Supermarine for a Mach-2 interceptor fighter, the Type 559, abandoned in 1959.
On the right, Gerry Anderson's Fireball XL5, first screened in 1962...

It sounds as if Fireball XL5 was designed by Supermarine's Asian Division....

Complete the wind-up with a centrifugal ashtray. My grandparents had one that looked a lot like this picture I nicked off the internet, circa 1960, so probably a similar vintage, certainly no sooner because it was older than me. (I was allowed to put little bits of screwed up paper in and press the plunger.)
centrifugal_ashtray.jpg

We had one of those, too - and me and my sister did the same thing!

Back