Artemis fowl

garreth Jacks

master of weapons
What do you think of the Artemis Foal books?

I have read all the books apart from the new one and was wondering has any body else read them I know they are for younger people but I find they have a very interesting plot and a great read for a sunny afternoon.

What is your favourite book

the first one is the best in my opion:)

I finished reading the first one, and didn't care for the story at all...
Thought I would try the second one, made it half way through and decided that I still didn't like the story, never finished it...
Won't touch the others.

I have read a lot of younger people's books and Artemis Fowl is one of my least favorite children books series...

Glad to hear that you like them though... :)

I'm with Alia on this one. I also read a lot of books designed for younger readers but I couldn't even get through the first one of these. I thought it was going to be great from all the hype but I just didn't care for it. Perhaps because I didn't find the main character interesting or likeable.

I try one of the books - Artemis Fowl-Eternity CodeI got it from my library, and I dont think it was the first in the series, which probably explains why I found it a little confusing.

I had heard this series is suppose to be amusing, but I found it wasnt as amusing as I'd hoped :confused:

Strange... I really enjoyed them. Maybe I'm just a bit childlike :D

Artemis was an engaging hero- not too sweet and sugary, and I love his deviousness. The fairies were great as well....

I didn't like it when Artemis started becoming good, but that was remedied a little later and I continued on my merry path ;)

I read the first two. Dunno how long ago. Probably pretty soon after they were released...

Quite enjoyed both of them, as far as they went, but nothing overly special. On the kind of level of someong like Diana Wynne Jones or summat, I would say.

I like the series, too. They're quick, breezy, fun reads, and I like the idea of having an anti-hero for once. I read the first one shortly after I was in Ireland, which was especially fun, and am currently in the queue for The Opal Deception at the library. I really liked one of Colfer's Wish List as well.

I thought that the Artemis books were a real good read for a night just after a big book and you need something small to read:)

The best one being the first followed closely by the fourth and third, I didn't care for the second one that much

I've read them all and will read book 4, probably wait until the paperback though.

I like the mix of technology, the battles between Holly and Artemis, Foley's sharp tongue and, of course, Mulch Diggums!

I do like the fact that Artemis is a thinker, not a fighter. Many lead characters are physical doers, with the thinker always being the 4 stone weakling.

And yes, I am WAY outside the target demographic.

Longplay... I was just talking to a friend early this morning about Artemis and his personality. He seems very evil at the beginning of book 1...to me... friend said that he changes and starts to do good things later on in the other books. Is this true? Does Artemis start to change and become a better person?
And I too like the idea that he is a thinker and not a fighter. Where as, Holly is...

i thought arty fowl was a very good read. although i did read the 3rd first then the 2nd then 1st a bit confusing to say the least. i just finnished reading the 4th a few weeks back and thought it was brilliant definatly the best of the lot. by the way thought i might add holly short is by far the best character of the series.

Alia said:
friend said that he changes and starts to do good things later on in the other books. Is this true? Does Artemis start to change and become a better person?

I think there was always this soft spot there, he just hides it with ruthlessness. He helps his mother in the first book for example, and finds his father in the second, then helps protect the fairies in book three.

I didn't find book three as good as the previous ones, tbh. Still good, just a little too candified.

Hhhmmm... I may pick them back up and read them... but Artemis is a character I just can't relate to, so it makes it hard to want to read about him. I have strong opinions about his justification of his poor behavior and was wondering if his personality gets better...
Thanks for the reply Longplay...

personaly i like artemis's personality, its something that i always wanted to be when i was that age a ruthless, filthy rich criminal

Eradius Lore said:
personaly i like artemis's personality, its something that i always wanted to be when i was that age a ruthless, filthy rich criminal

He is supposed to be based on Colfer and his brothers and he has said that they're the sort of book they'd like to have read. Very much boys fair.

Having said that, Holly is a very strong female character, as are Opel and Bulter's cousin/neice (forgotten her name). The Holly/Artemis relationship is fun imo.