What was the last movie you saw?

The Adventures of Robin Hood
In this days of fancy computers and post-processing a lot of movies come off having a dour or sterile look. Why can't they use some of this fancy **** to render a movie that looks as vibrant and colorful as this classic 1938 rollicking adventure? The technicolor look is simply dazzling and eye-popping. I'd seriously consider going blu-ray for this.
I hear the new film with Russell Crowe renders Robin as yet another dour cynical costumed hero. Screw that.

modify_inline.gif

I hear the new film with Russell Crowe renders Robin as yet another dour cynical costumed hero. Screw that.

Yeah what happened to the merry hero these days when even Robin Hood must be a dour,cynical hero. I want Erroll Flynn type Robin Hood and not Crowe being himself,growl.

I rather watch a traditional Robin Hood(2006 series).

I saw the new Robin Hood Wednesday and I wasn't impressed. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I expected either. I would recommend waiting for it to come out on DVD.

I saw Gran Torino, i was hugely impressed by the film and Clint as an actor yet again. He made his character come out alive in a great,toned down way. I liked how powerful,contemporary the story was. Multicultural,racial tensions,gangs,an old bitter man etc

The trailers made the film look like Clint was making a simple tough man film and i wish i had seen it in the cinema and not on cable tv.

Saw Iron Man 2 tonight. I thought it was a good strait forward sequel. Though Whiplash did seem somewhat weak for a villain.

Criss-Cross (1949), a noir flick which combines a caper and a love triangle to work up to a starkly cynical conclusion. A bit wordy and melodramatic at times, but once the caper plot gets under way, things zip along nicely. Some excellent character acting in minor supporting roles, particularly by Alan Napier (Alfred in the old Batman series) as an alcoholic criminal mastermind and Joan Miller as a perennially sozzled barfly.

Hunkered down in front of the TV for a couple of days recovering from a virus. Watched two Jimmy Stewart films.

1. The Man From Laramie. Made in 1955, I remember seeing this in the theater when I was a kid. I thought it was an absolute gripper at the time. Today, it's hard to believe how poorly written the script is. Stewart's character just isn't believable. The best performance was by Donald Crisp as the erstwhile cattle baron.

2. Bell, Book and Candle. This 1958 movie mixed witchcraft with bongos and the beat generation. I imagine it seemed pretty adventurous at the time of its filming, but now just comes across as a standard romance with a twist or two. Kim Novak was Kim Novak. Jimmy Stewart was a better natured "Scotty" from Vertigo (made the same year). The best roles were played by Elsa Lanchester as Aunt Queenie and Ernie Kovaks as the sodden author Sidney Redlitch.

Topsy-Turvy - Mike Leigh's superb musical drama about the conception, writing and first performance of The Mikado, by Gilbert and Sullivan.

Jim Broadbent is excellent as W. S. Gilbert, full of doubt whether or not his talent as a writer has vanished, and Allan Corduner plays Sir Arthur Sullivan, who has a potentially fatal kidney problem, and is determined to enjoy himself while he can.
The film brings out the claustrophobic nature of Victorian life, and the importance of the liberation that the theatre brought to the people of the era, shown by many gloriously colourful shots of The Mikado in performance.

Highly recommended.

I saw Robin Hood yesterday, I went not expecting too much and I enjoyed it. Mind you it helped that the tickets were free as I had won them from our local radio station.

The Langoliers (1995)

Based on the Stephen King novella of the same name. I'm a fan of cheesy movies (which I expected this one to be) and Stephen King so I watched this movie in a very positive frame of mind. I wasn't disappointed either.

The movie stayed true to the book and King made an appearance towards the end so I assume he was probably quite involved in the film behind the scenes.

There were no standout performances and the special effects were endearingly low-rent. The Langoliers scared me, in spite of the aforementioned low-rent CGI. The cast worked well together and Bronson Pinchot was convincing as the off-his-rocker Craig Toomey. The film is no cinematic classic but it's well worth a viewing.

I saw Robin Hood yesterday, I went not expecting too much and I enjoyed it.

That pretty much sums me up, too! Mind you it takes about an hour and a half to get to our nearest cinema, so we usually go as a group and make an evening of it, go out for dinner etc, so it was all fun. We don't go often as you might imagine, so we tend to wait for a blockbuster - something that deserves to be seen on the big screen.

I'm not sure if Ridley Scott has added anything classic to the Robin Hood mythos (probably not) but I really enjoyed Russell and Cate in this movie (Robin and Marian), plus Walter Locksley and Prince/King John - and William Hurt hardly sounded American at all, gold star him. I also really enjoyed the longbows. The arrow shots were the only thing that really made it worth seeing at the cinema I thought - the battle scenes were full of visual confusion (and surprisingly little blood btw) so the big screen wasn't really an advantage there. You wouldn't say a movie without faults, but it had good actors and was pretty entertaining overall. Much preferred the character scenes to the battles though.

Finally saw Hurt Locker; over all a fair, reasonably watchable film. I did not care for the style in which it was filmed; preferring smoother, more polished techniques over the somewhat choppy presentation. It was, also, excessively long, IMO; I found myself reaching for the fast forward button near the end.
Worth a rental...

Enjoy!

I saw Prince of Persia in the weekend, i wasnt sure about seeing it but someone else paid for my ticket so a free movie is hard to turn down.

Im so glad it wasnt my money that paid for the ticket because it was so silly,stupid and the british accent was annoying. The action,stunt scenes was well done but every scene with Jake,Gemma Arterton was so badly written,so silly in the delivery. I could barely watch it.

They ruined a potentially great series for me.

Yeah what happened to the merry hero these days when even Robin Hood must be a dour,cynical hero. I want Erroll Flynn type Robin Hood and not Crowe being himself,growl.

I rather watch a traditional Robin Hood(2006 series).

Having seen the film last night I can heartily agree. I think Crowe and Scott fell in love with the idea of Robin Hood being of the yoeman class so that we ended up with a hero who approaches every challenge as if he was a modern guy who couldn't get out of taking his kid to soccer practice. The only endearing character is Oscar Isaac's Prince John. Overall, except for some exciting battle scenes, the film is as dull and contrived as Prince of Thieves, only with less humor.

Watched Zombieland the other night and really enjoyed it -- very funny in parts and I liked the 'rules'. Also very much liked the use of a very small cast (apart from all the hundreds of zombies, of course).