What was the last movie you saw?

Crazy Heart. I'm not a CW fan, but this was a good film and a good story. Jeff Bridges was about as crusty as he could get and created a believable character.

Watched Memento today, the first movie since Donnie Darko that made me think about the plot even after the closing credits.

Next in line is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with Jim Carrey.

I watched Titan A.E. a couple of days ago... it was truly terrible!

I had hopes for it, I really did, but then I sat down and pressed play. The dialogue was cringeworthy, the action sequences were awful (how can that happen with a hand-drawn animation? You can throw in as many special effects as you want and it will still work!) and the plot moved so fast that it could probably lap Bolt in a 100m sprint...

There was one part I hated more than any other. One part that killed a little of my insides. One part that nearly forced me to turn it off - the fixing of the shuttle on the drifter colony. I don't know what is was about it - I usually don't mind the Rockyesque training/building/feel-good sequences, but this one made me throw up in my mouth.

All in all, I recommend it to anyone who has some brain cells to kill. No, seriously - I had a pounding headache the whole of the next day.

The Twilight Zone: The Movie

It was interesting to watch younger versions of John Lithgow and Dan Aykroyd. The film was entertaining but no great shakes.

Burton's Alice in Wonderland for the third time. :D Bought it on DVD from Safeway a while ago. It's either good or bad depending on your expectations. Don't set them TOO high, but it's certainly a film worth salvaging if you can. Depp as the Mad Hatter was good, but I would have to say the classic character is actually the March Hare. He provided a mad humor to a movie that otherwise is full of doom, gloom, and dark.

I watched Ghost Town the other night, which was ok. Now I've just watched Serenity for the second time. Weirdly the first time I watched it, what happens to Wash (won't say in case people haven't seen it) didn't affect me (apart from making me jump) but this time... gah! I blame Dollhouse, which has made me love Alan Tudyk so much.
"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!" Alan Tudyk has been incredible in every single thing I've seen him in - great sense of comic timing and equally capable of being either moving or menacing. So many others fail at being even one of those things. An awesome overlooked actor who sadly (or luckily?) may never really hit the mainstream.

Coincidentally I just rented Ghost Town...had my eye on it a while ago and happened upon it at the video store just now. Haven't watched it yet, but I did just watch An Education. Excellent! Great ensemble cast.

Coincidentally I just rented Ghost Town...had my eye on it a while ago and happened upon it at the video store just now. Haven't watched it yet, but I did just watch An Education. Excellent! Great ensemble cast.

I think Ghost Town is a great moofie. I'm a big fan of Ricky G.

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

That almost started me off wailing again!!

He should definitely be in more things. I was going to check out 'Death at a Funeral' (the 2010 version) as it has James Marsden in it, who is hot, but then I found out there was a 2007 version with Alan Tudyk in it... and I think I'm gonna have to find the '07 one instead. He's fantastic.

HJ, yeah I do like Ricky Gervais too, and he was good in the film. He just seems to play the same character all the time though.

Edit: to stay on topic, the last film I saw was Run, Fatboy, Run which was on the tellybox last night. Pretty good, make me laugh out loud anyway.

Not SF or Fantasy, but a weird little 'slice of life' drama by Shane Meadows called 'A Room For Romeo Brass'

Saw it on telly last night. Essentially, it's about two young lads who make friends with a local oddball - however, the local oddball turns out to be a hell of a lot odder than they thought, and all sorts of unpleasantness emerges. It was actually quite a gripping film. Well recommended.

Watched another oldie last night "King Solomon's Mine" 1953 w/Stewart Grainger... the best of the Solomon's mines movies, IMO. Very good, its got a permanent place in my library.
Last weekend a friend (who professes to be a John Wayne fan) dropped by so I screened "Legend of the Lost" for them a well made though slow paced (by modern standards) action/drama with Sophia Loren... not one or Wayne's best but a fair, if lesser known, movie.

Enjoy!

The Face Behind The Mask

The esteemed Peter Lorre goes batshit in this 40s b-movie curio which was very rewarding indeed.

He should definitely be in more things. I was going to check out 'Death at a Funeral' (the 2010 version) as it has James Marsden in it, who is hot, but then I found out there was a 2007 version with Alan Tudyk in it... and I think I'm gonna have to find the '07 one instead.

I recommend it, I think it's a very funny movie. And Tudyk is quite excellent, but plays what probably is a very different role to the ones you've seen before.

Yep, I watched it yesterday. Death at a Funeral that is. The British version. And God only knows why anybody thought it needed to be remade. It was hilarious!! Made me laugh out loud more than once. And I think I love Alan Tudyk even more now! :D

Yeah, that movie was great - I have no idea why the Americans remade it. If it had been a foriegn language film, then fair enough, but really, come on.

But those I understand. It's decades after the fact. New technologies, new audiences, all that. This is a three year old English film. It truly baffles me.

I would like to know how the American version holds up - these things tend to lose something in the 'translation'...

Baffles me too, Cul. When I heard it was a remake, I thought the original would be really old. But three years?

I read an interview with Chris Rock and from what he was saying it sounds like he either hasn't seen the original film, or just didn't get the humour. He said something along the lines of the original film being 'drama, drama, drama, big joke, drama, drama etc.' and said that in his version of the film they were changing it to 'little joke, little joke, little joke, big joke, little joke, little joke, etc.' Which to me kinda makes me think they're going to be turning it into a slapstick.

There were lots of little jokes in the original version, I was laughing the whole way through. I guess he just didn't get it. (The interview's on Orange.co.uk's website if anybody was interested.)

Baffles me too, Cul. When I heard it was a remake, I thought the original would be really old. But three years?

I read an interview with Chris Rock and from what he was saying it sounds like he either hasn't seen the original film, or just didn't get the humour. He said something along the lines of the original film being 'drama, drama, drama, big joke, drama, drama etc.' and said that in his version of the film they were changing it to 'little joke, little joke, little joke, big joke, little joke, little joke, etc.' Which to me kinda makes me think they're going to be turning it into a slapstick.

There were lots of little jokes in the original version, I was laughing the whole way through. I guess he just didn't get it. (The interview's on Orange.co.uk's website if anybody was interested.)

Actually, from my American perspective, I think Rock is dead on. He's essentially differentiating between the British sense of humor and the American in their basest forms. As a British comedy, the film must pretend to an intelligent premise. As an American comedy it must be idiotic pandemonium without pretense. Not necessarily slapstick, but the pace must be accelerated and the references redefined.