What Anime and Animation are you currently watching?

As it just started on one of the digital satellite channels here, I've just started watching Witch Hunter Robin. Looks like an interesting series.

Ditto the recommendation.

Currently watching Bleach. Whenever they get around to showing it on television again...

Talysia- what do you think of WHR? I found a box set for cheap, and bought it some months ago. Unfortunately it never really caught my interest like I was hoping it would.

I also watched Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis last night. It was pretty, but either the story was way undervdeveloped or I just couldn't get into it. I'm glad now that I didn't buy it sight unseen.

I've been watching it off and on for a while now, and it's not bad - not my favourite, but not bad. I'm not usually a fan of supernatural dramas, though.

Evangelion! I'm about ready to watch ep5, and I'm enjoying it very much. I've watched quite a bit of anime recently, and I'm getting more addicted everyday. So far my favs are Eureka 7, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Project, and Blood+. Shakugan no Shana is the running there too.

Finished watching Witch Hunter Robin last night, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

I haven't watched Evangelion in a while, but I remember it being a pretty good show. The ending threw me a bit, although the movies clarified things a bit.

Oh, very true!:)

Saw an episode of S-Cry-ed last night, but I don't think I'll be watching any more of it. Still enjoying Planetes, though.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney classic), its still as awesome as I recall it watching 17 years back as a kid. Obviously, picked up little details I inadvertently glossed over, especially about the character Frollo (most interesting of the lot); torn between his lust/desire for the gypsy girl (Esmeralda) of who's people he originally condescends (hypocrite) and his strict fanatical adherence to his own interpretation of Christianity that all women are evil...poor *******, couldn't make up him mind, I think this drove him nuts...

I don't usually watch Anime, but a friend kept insisting so started watching Fate Stay Night, though three episodes into it, I got bored...Anyone of you guys seen this? what do you think?

Just finished watching the Ramayaan; about the Hindhu God Ram...not bad, and anyway I only took the time to see this because I'm interested in ancient myth's; Greek, Norse etc.

Cheer's, DeepThought

Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight - The Animated movie. Had a look at this because I read the original Dragonlance Chronicles a long time ago and I like to see them translated into visual medium, whichever way it may turn out. My memory is rather fuzzy, but I'm quite sure they were fairly true to the original plot.

As for the graphics, the Draconians and Dragons were 3D while the background and the characters were nice 2D, IMO this did not blend well; found it hard to watch fights between Tennis, Caramon etc. versus the Draconians (felt the two versions too detached for my taste). Caramon is smaller than I imagined him in the book (smaller than Sturm!) and Raistlin's was square-jawed not that bad looking :eek:; quite contrary to the image of the haggered scull-like face from the books.

All in all it would have been better had they done it without the fancy cell-shading/3D, but It would be a lie to say that I didn't enjoy it though.:)

Cheers, DeepThought

I watched a bunch of anime movies this last month that were pretty good.

Spriggan- I guess it's based on a manga; this super-specialized-warrior-kid fights this other super-specialized-warrior kid over a revamped Noah's ark story. The story was alright, though my brain wonders how a 17 year old kid (was he 17? Or was it 15?) can be the best of the best, but that's anime for you. The animation was wonderful, and whoever did the backgrounds of Turkey and the Himalayas really nailed it- I'm not sure I've ever seen such accurate renderings in a cartoon.

Then there was R.O.D. (Read or Die), a triad of episodes again, based on a manga. It was a great premise- a bookaholic doubles as a secret agent trying to stop these recreations of famous historical figures, with a dash of magic thrown in. I only wish they'd made a full series of it.

And there was Karas and Karas: The Revelation. Really beautiful, moody cartoons, but they didn't make a bit of sense. And pretty violent, especially the second one. The guy with the fro and the motorcycle was pretty cool, but otherwise, they were trying to tell a rather complex story and something got left out of the mix, somewhere. But it was beautiful.

Makes me weep for the state of cartoons in this country.

I watched Spriggan a couple of years ago now, but I remember thinking it was one of the best looking productions in a long time - especially the backgrounds.

Lith, I think there may have been a series based on R.O.D - at least, I've seen one dvd that was definitely part of a series. R.O.D the TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I haven't seen the one with Yomiko Readman as the main character, but from what I understand her friend Nenene appears in this series. I think this may be one I've got to keep my eyes open for (the first dvd came as part of a boxset, comprising a lot of the first four episodes of about ten different titles).:)

Otherwise, I've been watching mainly Ghost in the Shell - SAC 2nd gig, and some older titles (mostly by CLAMP, oddly enough) - Rayearth, and RG Veda.

Ghost in the Shell(Watching these now)
Eureka 7(Just watched the whole series in a two day Marathon)
Naruto (As the new shippuden episodes come along)

(All of these in the original Japanese with subtitles)

Saw an episode of S-Cry-ed last night, but I don't think I'll be watching any more of it.

This is a really good series. One of the few modern anime series I've been able to get into. The characters get really interesting, and the narrative is simply, but entertaining and well executed. It does not immediately grab one's attention, but it eventually becomes something worthwhile.

I also highly recommend Mushishi. The series is good, and the live action film directed by Otomo is also.

I must admit, for some reason I did keep watching it, and it did get better . I've missed a few episodes from the series, but I shall try to catch them when they're repeated.:)