New year, new books... What we're reading in January.

I'm reading a new ya book we just got in at my library- The Death Collector by Justin Richards. It's really good so far!

Have a two-day reprieve from supervising electricians and painters. Am reading Vikram Chandra's Sacred Games. It's a huge, huge tome and so far it's been an amazing read. Very gritty and close to the edge and pulls no punches and makes no apologies for what it is about.

dsmith ... The Death Collector does sound good. Am putting it on my 'to buy' list. Thanks.
:)

2 books by Gene Wolfe, oddly. Endangered Species which is a short story collection, and The Devil In A Forest, a novel. Also Tracy Chevalier's Girl With A Pearl Earring.

Hey, you! Good to see you here. :D

I'm still slogging through a couple of books on politics, one on the media and one on the Republicans and science, both of which I think I've mentioned before. I can only take so much of them at a time, although they are both worthy books...its the subject matter being depressing, not the writing that is holding me up.

I'm also into a popcorn book called The Lucifer Gospel, by Paul Christopher and a slightly less popcornish but highly odd (not in a bad way) longer novel, The Passion of Mary Magdalen, by Elizabeth Cunningham. In which Mary is a Celt, met Jesus...or Esus, as he is called here...in the north, and has ended up sold into slavery (to a madam) in Rome as the story begins. Like I said, odd, and made even odder that its first-person narration is very, oh, modern. But it's keeping me reading, at least so far.

Finsihed Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver, read a short story, Day of the Butterfly by Alice Munro (from Dance of the Happy Shades).

I've now started on Stormnbreaker by Anthony Horrowitz

2 books by Gene Wolfe, oddly. Endangered Species which is a short story collection, and The Devil In A Forest, a novel. Also Tracy Chevalier's Girl With A Pearl Earring.

Nothing really to add at this point; just a hello, glad to see you around again...

Hey there! Nice to see you drop by! Take off your coat, stay a while :) .

I finished Sarah Ash's Lord of Snow and Shadows and while it was interesting, it didn't capture me enough to continue the series. I then finished Herbie Brennan's Faerie Wars, a reprint of a 2003 YA title. It's the first of the series and other than one jarring scene that I found didn't fit with the atmosphere of the rest of the story -quite a solid little fantasy tale. I'll most likely read the rest of the series by and by. After that, I devoured Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher. I found this second in the series to be much more compelling than the first and it really has me excited to read the next one.

Yay, I have a weekend of freedom, so I'm going to catch up on as much reading as I can...so, I think I'll go for Equal Rites and see where I go from there...:D

Finished Agents of Light and Darkness, and am starting on Nightingale's Lament, yet another of Green's Nightside series. The first three were offered in a hardback omnibus, so I'm just continuing on. I'll probably finish that one by tonight :) I don't know yet what I'll pick next.

Began reading The Briar King yesterday - have heard a lot of positives about it, and it was available at the library so.....
So far so good.
-g-

Just read a short story, Sunday Afternoon by Alice Munro (from Dance of the Happy Shades).

Also finsihed Stormnbreaker by Anthony Horrowitz.

Next up is Silverfin by Charlie Higson

I just finished The Death Collector (very good!) and now I need to read a book for work, to determine if it should be ya or childrens. It's called The Child Pirate by Susan Troutt. Has anyone read this?

Continuing my foray into the adventures of Conan, I finished Jewels of Gwahlur where Conan goes on a mission to steal the aforementioned jewels and it was decent fast-paced read though not as engrossing as its predecessor. Now am deep into the next story Beyond the Black River which has to seriously screw up ahead if it has to go anywhere below being one of the most tightly plotted and brilliantly executed adventure stories I've ever read.