New year, new books... What we're reading in January.

Hi Cat, I have to thank you and other members who raved about the book. I don't know how I could have missed it before. I found a few photos of the old Barcelona on the book's website, one of them is a mysterious cat sitting on a pile of books, thought you might like it:): La Sombra del Viento - Carlos Ruiz Zafón (click on 'Los escenarios').

Thank you Allegra. That's one of the pictures in the UK hardback edition of the book. That's a lovely edition. It's made to look as if the book is a really old, old one. Has no dust jacket and looks weathered and rubbed at the spine and corners. Has several black and white plates inside of old Barcelona and the last one is the cat.

Publisher: Weidenfeld & Nicolson; Illustrated Ed edition (31 Oct 2005)
ISBN-10: 0297852272
ISBN-13: 978-0297852278

Thanks for the link ... new wallpaper coming up.
:)

Oh great, I'll have to get that HC and give the paperback to my sister and to buy a few more for friends! Thanks, cat.:)

Finished Forever Odd; not as good as the first, but still decent.

Now reading Something From the Nightside, by Simon R. Green.

Finished Medalon last night. Very good book indeed. All you Fallon fans have been keeping these to yourselves. Shame on you!

And tonight I'll start Lion of Senet.

Finished City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers - recommend it.

Am now back to reading Lord Foul's Bane (First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever) by Stephen Donaldson.

xx

Reading a small novel by Irishman Nick Laird (Utterly Monkey), tho it's not fantasy or sci-fi. Just one of the books I must get to because it's been staring at me from my bookshelf across the room for the past few months.

Afterwards, I think I'll start a few other small books, maybe The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe or a more random selection. Then it's on to Dune Messiah (Frank Herbert) and then The Great Hunt (Robert Jordan).

Just finished On the Road by Jack Kerouac, fantastic imagery.

Reading Crash by J.G. Ballard, truly horrible and vile. Not for the kiddies.

Also reading Out of Space and Time by Clark Ashton Smith. Very enjoyable much like Lovecraft.

I am now reading Mortal Engines, book 1 in the Hungry City Chronicles by Philip Reeve. Thanks to Mark Robson for telling me about this series- the book is really good so far!

Am now reading A Sense of the World: How a Blind Man Became History's Greatest Traveler, by Jason Roberts

Just wrapped up Judith Merril's Tomorrow People, and am now about half-way through E.E. "Doc" Smith's Triplanetary -- which, I'm almost ashamed to admit, I've never read before.

Am re-reading Lord Of The Rings and a volume of HP Lovecraft's short stories with occasional forays into Peter Cook while supervising electricians and cabinet-makers in my new home.

It's very comforting in all the surrounding confusion of banging and drilling and questions at top volume in several languages. I tried starting on new books and failed miserably so have settled for old favourites.

Read the first story in the 2nd volume Robert E. Howard's Conan Chronicles (Fantasy Masterworks edition), Red Nails. This was a bloody entertaining read, with the emphasis on bloody because barely a page goes by where some character is not doing an act of savage violence on another character. Howard's prose is vigorous and he works so hard at making every word bring alive the brutal and wierd feel that it would be almost overkill if he didn't do it so absolutely well.

I also am through most of the 1st volume of DC's Showcase Presents: Superman, and I have to say most of the stories I've read thus far fall in the really dumb category. The writers seem to have little genuine imagination and use ridiculous amounts of lazy contrivance to tell their stories. Sure, with someone as powerful as Superman, it can be hard each time to think of a worthy problem or adversary but making Kryptonite seem like the most easily available element on Earth and constantly varying the kind and extent of effect it has on the blue suit is no answer. And almost every third or fourth story is about how some one comes up with a goofy idea to discover Superman's identity and an even goofier foil that Superman comes up with.

Started in on the next book in the Nightside series: Agents of Light and Darkness. These books read very quickly, so I'll get through the three I have in no time.

Started in on the next book in the Nightside series: Agents of Light and Darkness. These books read very quickly, so I'll get through the three I have in no time.

Just saw that series at Borders and almost bought it. Glad to hear they are good! Now I know what I'll use my next Border's coupon on.

Finished Deadhouse Gates (Erikson) - thank God! And now I'm ready for something a litte less involved. I'm thinking The Golem's Eye (Jonathan Stroud) or maybe a book or three in the Gor series. And I have several non-fiction books I would like to catch up on.
-g-