New year, new books... What we're reading in January.

Just finished reading Gardner Dozois' Year's Best anthologies, numbers 16, 17, and 22.

Started reading Eon by Greg Bear. Not sure how this one escaped me, earlier...

Up tp the 2nd book of 'The Heritage of Shannara' by Terry Brooks.

:) Its getting good.

The Druid of Shannara and the Elf Queen of Shannara are great reads! You've some good adventures ahead of you. ;)

As for me, I'm finishing up Deadhouse Gates (Erikson) and Memories of Ice is in the mail - should arrive by weeks end.
-g-

Finished Sourcery, now I'm reading Eric. Yup, I'm making my way through the Rincewind books, because I love that dude!

Rincewind is funny, although very predictable, I like the City Watch books better :p

I'm reading Geomancer by eon avian, and also Prince of the Blood by the Feisty guy.

Just started Peter Beagle's A Fine And Private Place. Really good so far.

Hmmm, well I've just ordered Kushiel's Scion. I've just read Mark Robson's Imperial Spy so I want to read Imperial Assassin and his earlier trilogy. I also really want to get hold of L. E. Modesitt's Spellsong Cycle which I read years ago and now I really feel like re-reading them (that's the problem with ordering books from the library - they seem to have gotten rid of these books and I'm putting books I don't have to buy higher on my priority list).
Umm, and then...Practically everything on my 'To Read' list that I didn't get round to last year :)

Asimov's - Robots of Dawn - don't see why this book had to contain twice as many pages as the previous books (Caves of Steel, Naked Sun) There was not so much more happening, but it seems to be constant problem with Asimov's later books.

Now reading Asimov's - Robots and Empire - when this is finished I've finally read all of the robots/foundation books :cool: I hope.
Robots of Dawn was my favourite Asimov when I read the Robots and Foundation novels several years ago. I thought Dawn was such a pleasant book (albeit, as you say, a little long), very calm and quiet. The action climax of the story seems to be the car breaking down in the middle of nowhere with the guy with agoraphobia inside. I always thought that was a great scene :)

I thought Dawn was such a pleasant book (albeit, as you say, a little long), very calm and quiet. The action climax of the story seems to be the car breaking down in the middle of nowhere with the guy with agoraphobia inside. I always thought that was a great scene :)

I guess the quietness and calmness with the length is the thing thats bothering me. To much filler text, when you compare this book to the earlier ones or to the Hamilton book I read in between. But the scene IS actually really good.

PS. Remembered that Robots and Empire isn't actually the last one - I have to get my hands on the Forward the Foundation to make the series complete.

Taltos: On The Robots of Dawn -- I, too, found it a bit lengthy and dull at times, but on a rereading I came to feel that there really isn't any wasted space in that book; in those sections he's addressing some very good issues, as well as some excellent character development, that make the book a richer and more thoughtful read. (That is, however, just my reaction to it; take it for what it's worth....)

Jennifer Fallon's *Warrior* came in from the library on Sunday, so I picked it up and read it yesterday. I could be wrong, but I think she's improving as a writer -- I rated this fantasy 'Very Good'. Later I picked up one of Philip K. Dick's short story collections *Paycheck*, and finished that off this morning. This contains an interesting batch of stories from the early 50's which range from 'Good' to 'Very Good'. I think my favourite is "The Variable Man", but "Colony" and "Nanny" stick in my mind as fairly creepy.

PS. Remembered that Robots and Empire isn't actually the last one - I have to get my hands on the Forward the Foundation to make the series complete.
To me it is. The same way as Foundation ends with The Second Foundation. I haven't read Forward, but Foundation and Earth and Prelude to Foundation have scared me away from reading further along those storylines.

Christmas books are duly stacked in reading order, and I've just started Freakonomics (largely on the basis that it's the shortest and I'm lacking energy after over-indulgence). An entertaining and interesting read so far.

Seven Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories by Christopher Booker. Interesting (ish) but a bit dry.

It's a bit rough around the edges, you can tell it's her first novel. I like it quite a lot though, as I thought I would. I'll review it when I'm done.
I know what you mean. There is definately talent there- she just has to avoid bludgeoning us with it.

Still reading Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison, but I should finish up tonight. Next up is Hypochondria Can Kill, by John Naish, which I got for Christmas.

Robin Hobb - Golden Fool at the moment although I did start it NewYears Eve (nothing else to do while I was sat at work)