New year, new books... What we're reading in January.

Finished Moorcock's The Shores of Death; still going through Lisa Randall's Warped Passages (non-fiction); for fiction, another Doc Savage: The Polar Treasure....

Just finished readin part 1 & 2 of the Hunter's blade trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. Can't seem to get my hands on the third part though. God, I hate shopping in book stores.

Just finished readin part 1 & 2 of the Hunter's blade trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. Can't seem to get my hands on the third part though. God, I hate shopping in book stores.

I have found it but it's online :rolleyes:

Well there it is anyway - The Book Depository
Hope it helps. I haven't started No1 yet but eventually I will.

Finished reading The Younger Gods by David and Leigh Eddings, and Lian Hearn's third Tale of the Otori book, Brilliance of the Moon.

For J. D. Worthington- The Everett Bleiler title is mostly lists of stories with a short synopsis, organized by each author that appeared in any Gernsback Magazine. There is lots of cross-reference information for all stories involving say.. nuclear power or suspended animation. I was looking for more of a history of the people involved in the pulps. I'm reading it to improve my general knowledge of the pulps that I collect.

After the series I'm reading, the Hobbit is next. >< I know shameful, but I'm getting around to his work.

Just finished book #1 of the Vampire Files by PN Elrod. It was really good! I have books #2 and #3, but I'm waiting on those. Right now I'm reading Scar Night by Alan Campbell, for book club. It's a little confusing so far, but I like the interesting world and the fascinating characters.

For J. D. Worthington- The Everett Bleiler title is mostly lists of stories with a short synopsis, organized by each author that appeared in any Gernsback Magazine. There is lots of cross-reference information for all stories involving say.. nuclear power or suspended animation. I was looking for more of a history of the people involved in the pulps. I'm reading it to improve my general knowledge of the pulps that I collect.

Ah. Thank you. May still have to look that one up as a good, handy reference guide; this sort of thing would probably come in very handy for some of the research I do. So... thanks again!

EDIT: Sheesh! Forgot to put in my own.... :rolleyes:

Finished The Polar Treasure. Going to go back to Derleth's In Lovecraft's Shadow the next few days, while working on Warped Passages....

So, should I read Consider Phlebas? I haven't read Banks' novels, but I like his short stories a lot.
If you liked Altered Carbon, then Consider Phlebas should be excellent.

I've finished that book now; found it OK, but not nearly as good as the State of the Art novella or Look to Windward.

In the meanwhile, I've read another of Philip Pullman's wonderful stories: Clockwork. As usual with Pullman, it's a children's book, and most excellently so. It's serious and grotesque, without being bogged down with all sorts of unneccessary details: A story of children having to survive in a situation in which the adults are useless.

Finished with Asimov (for the moment) - Robots and Empire - not sure, from where they take the names for these books :confused: The story is based on the robots, but the empire (as in the Foundation books) is far off. Anyway, two things that bothered me through the book:
1) similarity between the events and social structures in Foundation book and this one. The same rigid society versus innovation, merchants doing the exploration etc.
2) My expectations. After three books in these series, I expected something similar, but the book wasn't such. I think it's the same reaction what people got from "Die Hard 3" - you expected something and got something else. The first three books were contained by situation (seemingly impossible murder) and location (fairly limited area). This one spans to multiple planets and no mystery. Actually it would be beter to look at it as a pre-pre-prelude to Foundation not as a sequel to Bailey stories.
So much about the rambling on this book, which was actually pretty good once I understood what was hindering me.

Then re-read for easy reading S.R.Green's Blood and Honour - a nice classic fantasy tale. Without to many twists and turns. Very relaxing.

Now started to re-read Feist Shadow of Dark Queen - I've read this and Rise of Merchant Prince a while ago, but couldn't get the following 2 books of the Serpent War. Now re-reading the beginning to finally finish the series.

Finished The Chinese Agent by Michael Moorcock. This was was written in 1970 and is a spoof on the spy novels/movies of that time. He uses and pokes fun at grossly exaggerated stereotypes like the sinister slit-eyed Chinese spies and irresistible femme fatales and jokes about how budget cuts affect the glam secret service. Politically correct lambs may wince at jokes about "all bloody Chinamen looking alike" but it's all in good harmless fun and to be fair he also looks at stereotypes from the "enemy's" point of view.

The plot after a while falters and even the bomb explosion ending comes off a whimper rather than a bang, but it's fairly short and has a decent number of laughs before the jokes get too stale.

I had a good weekend of reading. I finished off Cast in Shadow and then Cast in Courtlight. I thought they were very good, and am looking forward to more in the series. I also read Autumn Castle, an entertaining stand alone book about present day people being exposed to a juxtapositioned fairyland.

im currently reading a series to do with the Warcraft game. its a simple read but very exciting. the 1st book is called day of the dragon. trying to fit it in with my current work situation but is not working. lol.

*Dances* Finally got Lisey's Story! Brought it along with me to university, even though at the moment I don't have much time for reading. However, I'm going to try and get a few snatches of it when I can. Wooo!