New year, new books... What we're reading in January.

I know what you mean. There is definately talent there- she just has to avoid bludgeoning us with it.

Just finished.

I think you're right, Somebloke, to an extent. For starters, Bishop sometimes falls into that trap of giving her philosophising too much space at the expense of furthering the storyline. If you're going to effectively flood a piece of fantasy with philosophical musings, it must be subtle and ingrained entirely into the story, and occasionally the philosophy seems to take up too much of the foreground. Then again, there's an argument for saying the *story* of this book revolves around the internal, rather than external events. Perhaps the musings had to take centre stage at times. There's a build up and climax of sorts, but it's all rather small-scale, and because of the ambiguous morality littering the book and the detached nature of the characters it follows there's a sense that nothing too important ever happens events-wise - the focus is on internal, mental and spiritual considerations. It's all rather cyclic too - I thought the ending (POSSIBLE SPOILER: the way the two move on to somewhere else just as they were at the start) was extremely fitting for both characters, typifying their attitudes and the mood of the book in general.

A more pressing flaw for me was that at times she used ambiguous, philosophical dialogue but at times failed to keep it sounding natural and unpretentious. This happens with a lot of experienced authors, so this criticism isn't a severe one, but it's something for her to improve upon in the future. Another possible flaw is that Gwynn gets so much more focus than Raule once things get going - I wonder if this was meant from the outset or if she initially intended more of a balance between the two of them.

Enough picking at negatives! Despite its flaws, I think this was a cracking read. Packed full of surreal imagery, thrown about almost carelessly at times, the writing is unusually free-roaming and unpredictable - gives the impression that it's floating on the wind. A reflection of this is found in the central characters Gwynn and Raule, two fascinating people totally devoid of sentimentality, letting themselves drift through life with no clear purpose in mind, often acting upon whims and morbid fascinations, surprised by little and moved by even less.

They find themselves in the surreal, somewhat dystopic city of Ashamoil (which for me has no clear comparison points - always a good thing), and through the events which unfold compelling internal conflicts and paradoxes are examined rather beautifully; notable examples include Gwynn's honest and rational mind conflicting with his longing for the ambiguous and the divine, whilst Raule devotes herself to a compassionate purpose when she herself is apathetic. Bishop considers a wide range of metaphysical, aesthetic and ethical issues, frequently offering unusual, intriguing and often insightful and refreshing perspectives on the world. For those less interested in this and more interested in a riveting story, I'm sure you won't come away disappointed by this either even if you'd probably prefer the philosophising to be thinned out. There's treachery, intrigue, mystery, romance, atmosphere - everything you could want. All in all, a grand debut.

Have finished Washington Irving's Wolfert's Roost and Miscellanies (a surprising number of pieces in there centering around folklore, legend, and outright fantasy or spectral themes, some considerably more serious than his "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle"), and am now going to start on Lisa Randall's Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions.

Just finished.

I think you're right, Somebloke, to an extent. For starters, Bishop sometimes falls into that trap of giving her philosophising too much space at the expense of furthering the storyline. If you're going to effectively flood a piece of fantasy with philosophical musings, it must be subtle and ingrained entirely into the story, and occasionally the philosophy seems to take up too much of the foreground. Then again, there's an argument for saying the *story* of this book revolves around the internal, rather than external events. Perhaps the musings had to take centre stage at times. There's a build up and climax of sorts, but it's all rather small-scale, and because of the ambiguous morality littering the book and the detached nature of the characters it follows there's a sense that nothing too important ever happens events-wise - the focus is on internal, mental and spiritual considerations. It's all rather cyclic too - I thought the ending (POSSIBLE SPOILER: the way the two move on to somewhere else just as they were at the start) was extremely fitting for both characters, typifying their attitudes and the mood of the book in general.

A more pressing flaw for me was that at times she used ambiguous, philosophical dialogue but at times failed to keep it sounding natural and unpretentious. This happens with a lot of experienced authors, so this criticism isn't a severe one, but it's something for her to improve upon in the future. Another possible flaw is that Gwynn gets so much more focus than Raule once things get going - I wonder if this was meant from the outset or if she initially intended more of a balance between the two of them.

Enough picking at negatives! Despite its flaws, I think this was a cracking read. Packed full of surreal imagery, thrown about almost carelessly at times, the writing is unusually free-roaming and unpredictable - gives the impression that it's floating on the wind. A reflection of this is found in the central characters Gwynn and Raule, two fascinating people totally devoid of sentimentality, letting themselves drift through life with no clear purpose in mind, often acting upon whims and morbid fascinations, surprised by little and moved by even less.

They find themselves in the surreal, somewhat dystopic city of Ashamoil (which for me has no clear comparison points - always a good thing), and through the events which unfold compelling internal conflicts and paradoxes are examined rather beautifully; notable examples include Gwynn's honest and rational mind conflicting with his longing for the ambiguous and the divine, whilst Raule devotes herself to a compassionate purpose when she herself is apathetic. Bishop considers a wide range of metaphysical, aesthetic and ethical issues, frequently offering unusual, intriguing and often insightful and refreshing perspectives on the world. For those less interested in this and more interested in a riveting story, I'm sure you won't come away disappointed by this either even if you'd probably prefer the philosophising to be thinned out. There's treachery, intrigue, mystery, romance, atmosphere - everything you could want. All in all, a grand debut.

Excellent review. For all my complaints, I read it compulsively. Must remember to chase up the author.

After finishing Robert Jordan's Knife of Dreams (he clearly has a fixation on spanking), I read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy over Christmas. Red Mars was reread, but it was the first time for Green Mars and Blue Mars. Their size had always put me off reading them before. Next up, Jack Vance's The Galactic Effectuator, I think...

Finished up Kim Harrison yesterday at work, so started reading Hypochondria Can Kill. Just from reading the introduction and the first few entries, this promises to be a humourous read! :D

I've started Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara. It's a very different writing style from her Sun Sword books.

More Exploits of Sherlock Holmes - Adrian Conan Doyle

Adrian Conan Doyle is Sir Arthur's younger son and he has written these stories in conjunction with John Dickson Carr who among other things wrote a biography of the original Doyle.

On the whole only the last couple of stories in this collection (some 6-7 stories in all) really match up to the quality of the better stories of the original. There's a lot more contrivance and happy coincidence happening here and it's really more Agatha Christie class than Arthur Conan Doyle. The other aspect is that, like all imitators trying too hard to evoke the same atmosphere, the stories suffer from over-referencing the popular catchphrases and characteristics. Surprisingly they even fall prey to depicting Holmes walking around London in his 'flap-eared traveling cap' - I assume they refer to the deerstalker, something, which in the original canon, Holmes donned only when he was in a rural setting.

It's passable enough if you need your Sherlock Holmes fix, but not something you should be hunting down with shouts of "The game's afoot."

Just finished reading three books: The Hounds of Ardagh by Laura J. Underwood (Good), Sea of Shadows by Fuyami Ono (YA fantasy) (Good) and Chain Mail by Hiroshi Ishizaki (YA fiction) (Great).

Now I'm reading Talon of Light from R. Dennis Baird. A while back I heard a great deal of praise for this book and it took me forever to get a copy. Now I have and I'm a bit underwhelmed. It is a good story so far (only a little bit in as I started it over breakfast), but it seems as if the writing could have used a bit of polish. Perhaps I'm just getting picky in my old age or something. Has anyone else read this one?

I've started Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara.

I like Cast in Shadow and its sequel, Cast in Courtlight.

Just finished Spin Control by Chris Moriarty and Moon's Web by C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp. Liked Spin Control as much as Spin State. Was entertained by Moon's Web, which was a cut above the usual paranormal romance and better than the other books I've read by Adams/Clamp.

Starting Seeker by Jack McDevitt.

I'm currently half-way through Altered Carbon, by Richard K. Morgan. So far, it's great. Noir/hardboiled sf -- but not just a detective novel set in the future. The sf is fundamental to the plot... It's hard to put down, which is a shame since I've supposedly got a lot of work to do...

Working my way through Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks. Lot's of action, great pacing, but...

Is this really the same guy who would later write Look to Windward? I recognize none of those things I liked about State of the Art or Look to Windward; the whimsical humor when relating to the Culture, the zany ship names, the melancholy, the political insights.

While we're at the matter, Dr. Atomic, I'd like to know what you think of Altered Carbon when you're done with it. I read it earlier this autumn, loving it at first, but after a while...

Let's just say Consider Phlebas reminds me a lot of Altered Carbon...

Just finished Salem's Lot (it was great!) and now I'm reading The Vampire Files by PN Elrod (book #1 is Bloodlist). It's good so far!

I just finished Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson, and Octavian Nothing, by MT Anderson. Now, I am reading The Hounds of the Morrigan, by Pat O'Shea, A Scholar of Magics, by Caroline Stevermer, and The Deed of Paksennarion, by Elizabeth Moon.

Finally finished Path of Revenge by Russell Kirkpatrick. It follows on from his previous trilogy 'Fire of Heaven' which I found to be very good. I didn't think this book was as well written, losing interest every now and again. Still not entirely sure if I will get the next volume or not, as this did pick up a bit over the last few chapters.
So now at the moment, I am re-reading Katherine Kerr's 'A Time of Exile'.

I just finished re-reading Doorways in the Sand-Zelazny and Falling Free-Bujold.
I'm reading Bleilers Science Fiction the Gernsback Years in fifty page increments. Four hundred pages to go :)
Next up Mindworm by Cyril Kornbluth a collection of short stories written in the fifties.

Moments ago I finished Seeker by Jack McDevitt. It's a good adventure, as are all his books.

Now I can begin reading Alan Campbell's Scar Night for the CN bookclub!

I'm reading Bleilers Science Fiction the Gernsback Years in fifty page increments. Four hundred pages to go :)

Oh, now, that one I wasn't even aware of! I know that a lot of what was produced back then seems rather clunky to modern readers, etc., but I must admit to a strong fondness for that era (for various reasons, some of which are even aesthetic!:p ) I'll have to look that one up. Thank you very much!:D

And, mixing some fiction with the Lisa Randall book -- Moorcock's The Shores of Death (a.k.a. The Twilight Man)....

I'm reading politics right now: The Republican Noise Machine: Right-Wing Media and How It Corrupts Democracy, by David Brock, and wishing mightily that it was just fiction. It is an interesting book.

While we're at the matter, Dr. Atomic, I'd like to know what you think of Altered Carbon when you're done with it. I read it earlier this autumn, loving it at first, but after a while...

Let's just say Consider Phlebas reminds me a lot of Altered Carbon...

I just finished Altered Carbon, and rather liked it. Lots of twists and turns and other fun hardboiled stuff. I like the universe he created -- definitely the future, but with enough similarities to our own time that the reader doesn't have to spend 50 pages just figuring out what's what. I like doing that with some books, but given the somewhat complicated and convoluted nature of the book's central mystery, I think that'd have been just a bit too much head scratching for me. :cool:

So, should I read Consider Phlebas? I haven't read Banks' novels, but I like his short stories a lot.